lucene/facet had a backward compatibility test for the taxonomy index due
to the move from doc values to stored fields.

I deleted this test, since we no longer use different approaches depending
on the version that was used to create the taxonomy index. Please let me
know if you disagree with this approach and I can work on resurrecting this
test.

--
Adrien
Re: Taxonomy backward compatibility tests [ In reply to ]
I think this makes sense. Lucene 9 continues to be backwards compatible
with Lucene 8. Lucene 10 will be able to read Lucene 9,10 taxonomy indexes.
LGTM!

--
Gautam Worah.

Re: Taxonomy backward compatibility tests [ In reply to ]
Thanks Gautam!

--
Adrien
Re: Taxonomy backward compatibility tests [ In reply to ]
Hey Adrien,
I'm making a change that let taxonomy to use NumericDocValues instead of
term positions to store the parent array:
https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/420.
It'll also need to pass the backward compatibility check, so for me, it
seems it's better to keep it. And if I can make it work before the 9.0
release then we can delete it after, and if not, we need a backward
compatibility test between 9 and 10 I guess?

Best
Patrick

Adrien Grand <jpountz@gmail.com> ?2021?11?2??? ??10:41???

Re: Taxonomy backward compatibility tests [ In reply to ]
Hi Patrick,

Lucene 9.0 is supposed to be feature frozen, so in theory this change
shouldn't make it to 9.0. That said, having it merged before 9.0 would help
not have to carry over the backward compatibility logic in 10.x, so I'm
inclined to allow merging it if you can get the change merged in the next
couple of days while I'm focusing on the 8.7 release.

--
Adrien
Re: Taxonomy backward compatibility tests [ In reply to ]
Got it, thanks Adrien. I'll try to make it ready these days.

Adrien Grand <jpountz@gmail.com> ?2021?11?2??? ??11:23???