time to start pushing harder for a 9.0 release.

There are so many improvements in the 9 (main) branches and
backporting features to 8x is becoming onerous. I realize Solr needs a
Lucene 9 release before it can proceed. I'm seeing one open blocker on
the Lucene side: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-8638

Can we at least start to nail down a more concrete timeline on a 9.0 release?

Cheers,
Tim

Re: Now that 8.10 is out ... let's get rolling on 9! [ In reply to ]
+1 to start pushing for a 9.0 release.

There isn’t an 8.10 version constant in the 9.0 branch at the moment - are there some release tasks that have been missed?

Re: Now that 8.10 is out ... let's get rolling on 9! [ In reply to ]
I don't know what creates that 8.10 version constant? I didn't skip
any steps afaik except for this
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10131 ... could this step
failing be the cause of the missing version 8.10?

Re: Now that 8.10 is out ... let's get rolling on 9! [ In reply to ]
I went ahead and added the 8.10 version manually ->
https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/342

Re: Now that 8.10 is out ... let's get rolling on 9! [ In reply to ]
Correction, the PR is https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/343

Re: Now that 8.10 is out ... let's get rolling on 9! [ In reply to ]
I don't think the wizard in lucene-solr repo is prepared to check out the new solr.git/main and lucene.git/main to run addVersion and backcompat stuff, so this likely needs to be done manually during an 8.x release?

Jan