Mailing List Archive

Soften Jira's note when opening new issues?
Hello,

Jira gives the following note when opening an issue:

```
This project has a user mailing list and an IRC channel for support. Please
ensure that you have discussed your problem using one of those resources
BEFORE creating this ticket.
```

This can be quite intimidating for someone who has never worked with us
before, and we don't apply this logic for ourselves, for instance I feel
free to open JIRAs without discussing them first on IRC or dev@l.a.o. Given
that we are not seeing much irrelevant traffic on JIRA, I'd like to soften
the message to something like below:

```
If you are looking for support, or if you are not sure whether the behavior
that you are observing is expected or not, please discuss your problem on
the user mailing-list instead before creating a ticket.
```

What do you think?

--
Adrien
Re: Soften Jira's note when opening new issues? [ In reply to ]
+1

Re: Soften Jira's note when opening new issues? [ In reply to ]
+1

Re: Soften Jira's note when opening new issues? [ In reply to ]
This is a good idea!

Uwe

--
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, 28357 Bremen
Re: Soften Jira's note when opening new issues? [ In reply to ]
+1

Mike

--
Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com
Re: Soften Jira's note when opening new issues? [ In reply to ]
+1.
Ideally, the final version could still be several shorter sentences. To
avoid needing to be a programmer to parse the deeply nested, if totally
logical, structure.

Re: Soften Jira's note when opening new issues? [ In reply to ]
+1

Jan

Re: Soften Jira's note when opening new issues? [ In reply to ]
I agree, it's friendlier with the same basic message.

Re: Soften Jira's note when opening new issues? [ In reply to ]
+1

Re: Soften Jira's note when opening new issues? [ In reply to ]
I think you made a good point, Alexandre. Would something like this read
better:

```
This project has a user mailing list and an IRC channel for support. If you
are looking for support, or if you are not sure whether the behavior that
you are observing is expected or not, please discuss it there first.
```

--
Adrien
Re: Soften Jira's note when opening new issues? [ In reply to ]
Looks great to me.

Thank you for listening.
Alex

Re: Soften Jira's note when opening new issues? [ In reply to ]
Here is one with shorter, less complex sentences and clear calls to action.

Are you looking for support for Solr? Have you seen unexpected behavior? Please ask for help on the Solr user mailing list or the IRC channel. If it is a new problem, then you can submit a Jira issue.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org
http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)

Re: Soften Jira's note when opening new issues? [ In reply to ]
Hi Walter,

Though it doesn't invalidate your comment, I was considering changing the
message only for the Lucene JIRA, at least for now.

--
Adrien
Re: Soften Jira's note when opening new issues? [ In reply to ]
Love this idea!

I wonder if there's a way to make the messaging clear that ideas for
new features/improvements are also always welcome? When I read the
current language, I interpret it as bug reporting. Maybe adding a
leading sentence would help?

```
Bug reports, improvements and new feature ideas are always welcome!
Please note, this project has a user mailing list and an IRC channel
for support. If you are looking for support, or if you are not sure
whether the behavior that you are observing is expected or not, please
discuss it there first.
```

Cheers,
-Greg

Re: Soften Jira's note when opening new issues? [ In reply to ]
Two excellent points. So it could be:

Are you looking for support for Lucene? Have you seen unexpected behavior? Have an idea for a new feature or improvement? Please ask for help on the Lucene user mailing list or the IRC channel. If it is a new problem or idea, then you can submit a Jira issue.

Re: Soften Jira's note when opening new issues? [ In reply to ]
Greg, I understand and agree with the intent, but I also would like to keep
this as short as possible since the screen to create a new issue in JIRA is
already quite intimidating with all its text boxes, and the current version
is already taking two lines even though it's short. Maybe this is the sort
of thing that we could try to better emphasize in our project's README?

Adrien
Re: Soften Jira's note when opening new issues? [ In reply to ]
Hmm. How is this? It is a single longer sentence, but essentially a string of simple ones.

If you want help or have a feature idea, please ask on the mailing list or IRC channel before submitting a Jira issue.

Re: Soften Jira's note when opening new issues? [ In reply to ]
Hi Adrien- that's totally fair. There are probably better places for
the additional content I'm proposing. A couple things along these
lines:

1. Do you think it would be worth linking this guide from the JIRA
message (maybe after updating it)?
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/lucene/HowToContribute. It
could be a nice hook for new users to learn more (and it's what we
link from our README). Maybe it would make the message too long
though?
2. I just put up a very brief PR to add my proposed "friendly message"
to the README before linking off to the above-mentioned guide:
https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/318.

Back to your original proposal though, I'll add my +1 as I think it's
a big improvement from the current messaging. Thanks for bringing this
up!

Cheers,
-Greg

Re: Soften Jira's note when opening new issues? [ In reply to ]
Infra helped me change the message
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-22353> yesterday, thanks for
the discussion on this thread.

+1 on your PR to the project's README.

The problem I saw with Jira recently - and I acknowledge that there might
be a bias - is that users had read our HowToContribute guide already, which
suggests opening a Jira. But then Jira told these contributors to go to the
mailing-list first before we updated the message. I like the idea of
linking HowToContribute from the perspective that it would be welcoming and
encourage contributions, but it would increase the amount of text that you
have to read when using Jira yet the anecdotal evidence I have is that
these contributors were already familiar with the HowToContribute since it
is the thing that led them to Jira in the first place. No strong feelings,
I could be convinced otherwise but wanted to give this perspective.

Adrien
Re: Soften Jira's note when opening new issues? [ In reply to ]
it seems odd too start with a statement that there is a mailing list without any idea why the person cares. That is why my suggestions started with the person’s need, not with the bare fact of the mailing list.

People are likely to skip over that whole paragraph after they scan “This project has a use mailing list…”. The first few words are by far the most important. Again, I strongly suggest starting with "If you want help or have a feature idea…”

Re: Soften Jira's note when opening new issues? [ In reply to ]
Agreed Walter. At least it's better than before.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Re: Soften Jira's note when opening new issues? [ In reply to ]
I have a search story from Netflix about how much the first words matter.

We had two movies named “The Other Boleyn Girl”. One was an older BBC miniseries and the other was a recent Hollywood film. The BBC result was #1, which seemed wrong, but it was in more rental queues, so people really were adding it. The images were just women in big taffeta dresses, and the description for the Hollywood film started with something like “From acclaimed director …”, so it was hard to tell which was which.

I asked the movie metadata team to reword the description of the Hollywood film so that the first two words were “Nicole Kidman”. They pushed the change, and one hour later, the Hollywood film was the first result.