Mailing List Archive

Re: [lucene] branch main updated: LUCENE-10066: Build does not work with JDK16 as gradle's runtime (#259)
Thanks Dawid for this change! It is working great with JDK-16

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 4:08 AM <dweiss@apache.org> wrote:
> - "org.gradle.jvmargs=-Xmx3g", // TODO figure out why "gradlew check" runs out of memory if 2g

I am curious about this, are we sure 3GB is needed? I specify only 1GB
and run 'gradle check' and it passes for me.
NOTE: i do also disable the daemon, so if its a memory-leak issue over
time, I wouldn't be seeing that. But cranking Xmx wouldn't truly
"solve" that anyway.

Re: [lucene] branch main updated: LUCENE-10066: Build does not work with JDK16 as gradle's runtime (#259) [ In reply to ]
> Thanks Dawid for this change! It is working great with JDK-16

Yup, works for me too.

> I am curious about this, are we sure 3GB is needed? I specify only 1GB
> and run 'gradle check' and it passes for me.

It does... sometimes. And sometimes it crashes with an OOM. I really
don't know why it's the case - whether it depends on how many tasks
you run (full check) or something else. This behavior doesn't
reproduce but is showing up frequently if I lower the heap and run a
full check (which means pretty much all tasks get to run).

> NOTE: i do also disable the daemon, so if its a memory-leak issue over
> time, I wouldn't be seeing that. But cranking Xmx wouldn't truly
> "solve" that anyway.

Yes, this could be part of the problem. If you do disable the
background daemon then feel free to lower the memory defaults. I admit
I tried to cater for the majority who probably run with the daemon on.
I don't think there is any middle ground here. These settings are
there to be tuned for local preference, though!

D.

Re: [lucene] branch main updated: LUCENE-10066: Build does not work with JDK16 as gradle's runtime (#259) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 8:49 AM Dawid Weiss <dawid.weiss@gmail.com> wrote:

> > NOTE: i do also disable the daemon, so if its a memory-leak issue over
> > time, I wouldn't be seeing that. But cranking Xmx wouldn't truly
> > "solve" that anyway.
>
> Yes, this could be part of the problem. If you do disable the
> background daemon then feel free to lower the memory defaults. I admit
> I tried to cater for the majority who probably run with the daemon on.
> I don't think there is any middle ground here. These settings are
> there to be tuned for local preference, though!

OK, makes sense. FWIW i saw when it was changed to 3GB (a year ago at
least?) and already had mine at 1GB and kept it that way. I've never
seen this OOM.

So I really suspect it may be daemon-related (e.g. memory leak in
gradle code or something)

Re: [lucene] branch main updated: LUCENE-10066: Build does not work with JDK16 as gradle's runtime (#259) [ In reply to ]
> So I really suspect it may be daemon-related (e.g. memory leak in
> gradle code or something)

Very likely. I just had it happen 5 minutes ago while running Solr
tests... Very annoying for larger builds.

Dawid