it's enough? Anyway this seems to be the only outstanding issue, so
let's see if we can make progress there

Q: any other blockers?

Re: Lucene 9.0 release [ In reply to ]
+1 to your suggestions

I just commented on LUCENE-9959
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9959> to suggest reverting
since the changes are currently half baked and I don't think that they
should block 9.0. There are no other blockers left to my knowledge.

On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 6:24 PM Michael Sokolov <msokolov@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's been two years since our last release, we had lots of +1 when we
> raised this last December, and IMO we are close to baked at this
> point.
>
> I checked JIRA and found two remaining Blockers
>
> 1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10016
> VectorReader.search needs rethought, o.a.l.search integration?
> 2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-8638 Remove deprecated
> code in main
>
> The first one is very close to resolved;
>
> On the deprecations, the issue has lingered for 1-1/2 years now, and
> some progress has been made, but more work remains. Some new
> deprecations have been added since it was opened too. Maybe we make a
> concerted effort to clean out as much as we can, and then decide if
> it's enough? Anyway this seems to be the only outstanding issue, so
> let's see if we can make progress there
>
> Q: any other blockers?

Adrien
Re: Lucene 9.0 release [ In reply to ]
+1

Blockers seem to be done with. So I guess we just need an RM to get the ball rolling? :)

I know that the Release Wizard in new Lucene repo needs some updates https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9809 - I may help some with that...

Cross-ref other 9.0 release mail-threads:
- "Now that 8.10 is out ... let's get rolling on 9!" https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r868028d42a19ae02d5bbe2e3329da26869045002b9bb4760b8056c56%40%3Cdev.lucene.apache.org%3E
- "9.0 release": https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r7bef0af668860fdbfedb4b58261efd01d9fb26dc280915284c121065%40%3Cdev.lucene.apache.org%3E

Jan

Re: Lucene 9.0 release [ In reply to ]
Yes! I'm curious to give it a go, but getting pulled in many different
directions. If nobody else steps up, I will be free to shepherd the
release along in a couple of weeks, assuming the current firestorm
subsides...

Re: Lucene 9.0 release [ In reply to ]
For visibility, I recently opened a new issue about a case of index
corruption <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10159> which is a
blocker for 9.0. Nhat is looking into it.

We've been discussing releasing 9.0 for a long time now and I think that
everybody agrees with moving forward, there's even some good momentum
around making the build and release tooling ready. So I'd like to propose
the following timeline for the 9.0 release to get some feedback:

2021-11-01: Feature freeze:
- branch_9x gets created from main
- branch_8_11 gets created from branch_8x
This gives us ~2 weeks to do some last-minute work. The reasoning for doing
8.11 as well is that we have some enhancements merged to branch_8x that I
suspect some users would like to see released in 8.x. Important note: 8.11
will be the last minor release of major version 8. There might be new patch
releases in the future such as 8.11.1 or 8.11.2, but there won't be a 8.12
or a 8.13.

2021-11-04: First RC for 8.11
Since we had 8.10 not long ago, hopefully the release process will go
smoothly.

~2021-11-10: First RC for 9.0
The date is indicative, the plan would be to move forward with the first
9.0 RC as soon as the following conditions are met:
- 8.11 is out
- all 9.0 blockers have been addressed

Mike, your previous email suggests that you would like someone else to step
up. If that's correct I'm happy to be the release manager for both 8.11 and
9.0.

Adrien
Re: Lucene 9.0 release [ In reply to ]
+1 Adrien. Thanks for moving things along.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Re: Lucene 9.0 release [ In reply to ]
Sounds like a good plan Adrien, thanks for nailing down some concrete
milestones and dates :-)

Cheers,
Tim

Re: Lucene 9.0 release [ In reply to ]
> Mike, your previous email suggests that you would like someone else to step up. If that's correct I'm happy to be the release manager for both 8.11 and 9.0.

Thanks, that would be very welcome!

Re: Lucene 9.0 release [ In reply to ]
Hearing no objections, I will be moving forward with the plan I outlined
above. Next Monday is a holiday in France so I'll actually be cutting
branch_8_11, branch_9x and branch_9_0 on Tuesday.

Adrien
Re: Lucene 9.0 release [ In reply to ]
+1

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 9:30 PM Adrien Grand <jpountz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hearing no objections, I will be moving forward with the plan I outlined above. Next Monday is a holiday in France so I'll actually be cutting branch_8_11, branch_9x and branch_9_0 on Tuesday.
>
> On Sun, Oct 17, 2021 at 3:40 PM Michael Sokolov <msokolov@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Mike, your previous email suggests that you would like someone else to step up. If that's correct I'm happy to be the release manager for both 8.11 and 9.0.
>>
>> Thanks, that would be very welcome!
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 1:33 PM Timothy Potter <thelabdude@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Sounds like a good plan Adrien, thanks for nailing down some concrete
>> > milestones and dates :-)
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Tim

> Adrien

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: Lucene 9.0 release [ In reply to ]
This looks like a great plan. Thanks for taking this forward :)

--
Anshum Gupta
Re: Lucene 9.0 release [ In reply to ]
Hi Adrien,

Can you hold for LUCENE-10200? There is a patch under LUCENE-10192 that
restructures the binary distribution - nobody spoke anything so I assume
everyone liked it?... :)

I'll try to polish the remaining little issues over the weekend so it
should be good for Tuesday but I'd give it a few eyes before we create the
branch? Alternatively, we can make a branch and just cherry-pick the
necessary changes there. I think it's easier if they land on main though.

Dawid

Re: Lucene 9.0 release [ In reply to ]
This sounds good to me Dawid. Please update this thread when you are done
and I will proceed with branching.

Re: Lucene 9.0 release [ In reply to ]
I think build & distribution oriented efforts shouldn't be held up by a
feature-freeze. FF is more for getting stability on runtime code. But
this is Adrien's call.

Re: Lucene 9.0 release [ In reply to ]
Thank you for going ahead!

Also, a major release seems like an ideal time to make changes to our
distribution packaging, and it doesn't seem like we will be held up for
long by that change.

Re: Lucene 9.0 release [ In reply to ]
Hi Adrien,

I think I've completed everything I wanted to do (with respect to the
release). There are some other tasks that I have in the queue but they're
not blockers - feel free to create the release branch. Hope there won't be
too many problems along the way.

Dawid

Re: Lucene 9.0 release [ In reply to ]
Thank you Dawid!