Mailing List Archive

JDK 17 Early Access build 28 & JDK 18 build 3 are available
Hi Uwe & Dawid, **

*
*

*Per the JDK 17 schedule , we are in Rampdown Phase One.*

*Please advise if you find any issues while testing the latest Early
Access builds.*

The overall feature set is frozen. No further JEPs will be targeted to
this release.

* Features integrated in JDK 17:

o JEP 306: Restore Always-Strict Floating-Point Semantics
<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/306>
o JEP 356: Enhanced Pseudo-Random Number Generators
<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/356>
o JEP 382: New macOS Rendering Pipeline
<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/382>
o JEP 391: macOS/AArch64 Port <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/391>
o JEP 398: Deprecate the Applet API for Removal
<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/398>
o JEP 403: Strongly Encapsulate JDK Internals
<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/403>
o JEP 406: Pattern Matching for switch (Preview)
<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/406>
o JEP 407: Remove RMI Activation <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/407>
o JEP 409: Sealed Classes <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/409>
o JEP 410: Remove the Experimental AOT and JIT Compiler
<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/410>
o JEP 411: Deprecate the Security Manager for Removal
<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/411>
o JEP 412: Foreign Function & Memory API (Incubator)
<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/412>
o JEP 414: Vector API (Second Incubator)
<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/414>
o JEP 415: Context-Specific Deserialization Filters
<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/415>

*OpenJDK 17 Early Access build 28 is available at
**https://jdk.java.net/17* <https://jdk.java.net/17>

* These early-access , open-source builds are provided under the
o GNU General Public License, version 2, with the Classpath
Exception <https://openjdk.java.net/legal/gplv2+ce.html>
* Release Notes are available at https://jdk.java.net/17/release-notes
<https://jdk.java.net/17/release-notes>
* Changes in build 28 that maybe of interest:
o *JDK-8269028: [BACKOUT] JDK-8196415 Disable SHA-1 Signed JARs *
o JDK-8268774: Residual logging output written to STDOUT, not
STDERR [*Reported by Apache Ant*]
o JDK-8264843: Javac crashes with NullPointerException when
finding unencoded XML in <pre> tag [*Reported by Apache Lucene*]

*OpenJDK 18 Early Access build 3 is now available at
**https://jdk.java.net/18* <https://jdk.java.net/18>

* These early-access , open-source builds are provided under the
o GNU General Public License, version 2, with the Classpath
Exception <https://openjdk.java.net/legal/gplv2+ce.html>
* Changes in recent builds that maybe of interest:
o JDK-8266791: Annotation property which is compiled as an array
property but changed to a single element throws NPE [*Reported
by Byte Buddy*]
* Coming in a future JDK 18 build
o Removal of Biased Locking in JDK 18  - Details
<https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/4522>

*Other Topics of Interest: *

* State of Loom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG24inClY2M
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG24inClY2M>
* State of Panama: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8k9QGvPxC0
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8k9QGvPxC0>
* What's a JEP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1VrmvyIEpM
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1VrmvyIEpM>

*Quality Report for June 2021 was published here [1]. ***

* Thanks to everyone who contributed by creating features or
enhancements, logging bugs, or downloading and testing the
early-access builds.

Rgds,Rory

[1]
https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/quality/Quality+Outreach+Report+June+2021*
*

--
Rgds, Rory O'Donnell
Quality Engineering Manager
RE: JDK 17 Early Access build 28 & JDK 18 build 3 are available [ In reply to ]
Hi Rory,

will install latest version, soon. I have to be a bit careful regarding the project Panama test runs, but otherwise should be no issue.

JDK 18 will come soon to the test-caroussel.

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

uschindler@apache.org

ASF Member, Member of PMC and Committer of Apache Lucene and Apache Solr

Bremen, Germany

https://lucene.apache.org/

https://solr.apache.org/

* JEP 412: Foreign Function <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/412> & Memory API (Incubator)

Re: [External] : RE: JDK 17 Early Access build 28 & JDK 18 build 3 are available [ In reply to ]
Thanks Uwe, let us know if all is well!

Rgds,Rory