months since 8.8.0 was released.
8.9.0 doesn't need to be the last release in the 8.x series.

Thanks.
Re: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
+1

Re: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
+1

Mayya, are you volunteering to be the release manager?

Re: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
I would like to backport LUCENE-9827
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9827> before we release 8.9,
a performance regression to stored fields merges. I'll work on this as soon
as possible.

--
Adrien
Re: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
I'm also looking to find time to get
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14597 into some sort of 8x. I've
recently completed the back port of 2/3 of the lucene tickets that are
related, and hope to work on the third tomorrow....

I had some feedback there, but I think folks were waiting for the version
integrated with the final form of the Lucene tickets before delving
further. Hopefully this week I can start on a patch that does that.

--
http://www.needhamsoftware.com (work)
http://www.the111shift.com (play)
Re: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
Thanks everyone,

Adrien, I am happy to try to be a release manager for this release.

Adrien, and Gus, please let me know when your changes are merged to 8.x

Re: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
Hi Mayya,
How much time would you give us for this release (until feature freeze)? I
have some package manager related changes (that might take a week to fully
build and test) that need to get into 8x so that users can seamlessly
upgrade to 9x. Based on your proposed timeline, I'll work on it immediately
(if there's time), or later (for a potential 8.10 or 8.9.1). A bit caught
up in the covid situation, and AFK (so can't find the JIRA).
Thanks for volunteering,
Ishan

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 10:59 PM Mayya Sharipova

Re: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
I can try backporting Hunspell improvements (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9687) to 8.x, unless you think
it's too large a change.

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 7:29 PM Mayya Sharipova

Re: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
+1 to a 8.9 release

I'm working on a few Solr backports that will land soon.

Jan

RE: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
Hi,

all fine also from my side. Thanks to Smoketester I fixed a bug in the Maven Metadata. This is the first 8.x release where the Maven Checks were running correctly. As far from my side this had no impact on users of Lucene/Solr from Maven Central, but due to the change to HTTPS-only for Maven Central our Checks were not working anymore – the Maven build itsself was broken, too.

We now only publish metadata on Maven Central and no build logic anymore. But all is checked and dependency versions are fixed like with Palantir in main branch.

Nevertheless, it would be a good idea to build you own Solr plugin / Lucene project pointing to the snapshot artifacts 8.9-SNAPSHOT just as a test. I did it for several of my projects and they passed.

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen

https://www.thetaphi.de

Re: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
Mayya, I created backport for Adrien's issue here, to try to help out:
https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/2495

Personally, I felt that merging non-trivial changes from main branch
to 8.x has some additional risks when cherry-picking:
* structural changes in main branch making merging more difficult
(e.g. LUCENE-9705 reorganization of codec versioning, great change
moving forwards though)
* there are many style changes due to spotless in main branch which
add noise to merging against old code.
* In the specific case of LUCENE-9827, the usual additional tricky
backwards compatibility for 8.x must be added in the backport (due to
minor version bumps there) which can go wrong.

I still think that particular change is worth considering for 8.9, it
isn't just a performance bug but also a huge improvement to test
coverage that helps combat risks.

But we should still take some precautions when releasing an 8.x IMO:
* be mindful of what we are backporting and the risks involved: it is harder.
* try to let jenkins bake changes in 8.x branches for longer than
usual? even a few days really helps.

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 1:29 PM Mayya Sharipova

Re: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
Perhaps https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-15378 should be
investigated before 8.9, maybe make it a blocker?

Re: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
Hi Mayya,

I would like to backport LUCENE-9935
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9935>, which enables
bulk-merge for stored fields with index sort, to 8.x this weekend. The
patch is ready <https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/2494>, but we
prefer to give CI some cycles before backporting. Please let me know if
it's okay with the release plan.

Thanks,
Nhat

Re: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
Hello,

I raised SOLR-15410 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-15410>
yesterday with a PR to fix an issue with GC logging when using new versions
of OpenJ9. It's small, so if somebody could have a look at it in time for
8.9 that would be great

Thanks,
Colvin

Re: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
+1

Re: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
Hello Colvin,
I am wondering if you still want to merge SOLR-15410 for the Lucene/Solr
8.9 release?
Should we have a deadline for feature freeze? Say May 30th (Sunday)?

Thank you.

Re: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
Hello,
Eric was going to have a look at the PR.
But if it isn't done in time then I don't think it needs to block the
release

Thanks

On Tue, 25 May 2021 at 15:50, Mayya Sharipova

Re: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
Hello everyone,
I wonder if everyone is ok for May 31st (Monday) as the date for the
feature freeze date and branch cut?
I've noticed that `releaseWizard.py` is also asking for the length of
feature freeze. What is the custom length to put there?

Looks like Lucene
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/LUCENE/versions/12349562> doesn't
have any unresolved issues for 8.9.
SOLR <https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SOLR/versions/12349563> has:
- SOLR-15412 Strict validation on Replica metadata can cause complete
outage (Looks like it may be resolved already?)
- SOLR-15410 GC log is directed to console when starting Solr with Java 11
Open J9 on Windows
- SOLR-15056 CPU circuit breaker needs to use CPU utilization, not Unix
load average

Are we ok to postpone these issues to later releases if they are not
resolved and merged before feature freeze?

Thank you.

Re: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
Hey Mayya, would you mind to wait until at least Tuesday (6/1)?

We are trying to backport SOLR-14978 to 8.x, and would really like it
included in 8.9.

- Houston

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 5:24 PM Mayya Sharipova

Re: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
SOLR-15412 is rather serious as the title suggests. I haven't been
tracking the progress so if it's already resolved, that's unknown to me and
isn't reflected in JIRA.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Re: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
Mayya, SOLR-14978 is now in 8.x. So no longer a blocker.

- Houston

Re: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
Thank you for the update, Houston.

I've started the release process, the branch 8.9 is now cut.

Re: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
Could someone else please take a look at SOLR-15056? This is a small blast radius change that improves the circuit breakers. It includes unit tests and documentation and has been ready since January.

https://github.com/apache/solr/pull/96/files <https://github.com/apache/solr/pull/96/files>
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-15056 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-15056>

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org
http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)

Re: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
I tool a look at the PR and gave comments for SOLR-15056, and the last I
checked, my comments were not addressed?

Re: Release Lucene/Solr 8.9.0 should we have it soon [ In reply to ]
Sorry, Walter, that I rushed to create a new branch.
Please let me know when your changes are merged to 8.x and 8.9 ( I guess
you need to backport to the new 8.9 branch as well),
and I will continue the release process from there.