Mailing List Archive

Helping to update Lucene FAQ
Hi

I am currently doing some work re FAQ in general and noticed that the
following Lucene FAQ

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/lucene/LuceneFAQ

are not quite up to date. I read that you are looking for help

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/lucene

and I would be happy to help updating them, for example updating the links

replace
https://lucene.apache.org/core/3_4_0/gettingstarted.html
by
https://lucene.apache.org/core/8_8_2/index.html

or

replace
https://lucene.apache.org/core/3_4_0/api/core/overview-summary.html#overview_description
by
https://lucene.apache.org/core/8_8_2/core/index.html

Would that be of help or do you have other plans re the FAQs?

All the best

Michael

Re: Helping to update Lucene FAQ [ In reply to ]
That would be great and helpful, Michael! Progress not perfection :)
Those links are indeed ancient.

I think (not certain) that we have a way (symlink somewhere) for our
javadocs links to automatically go to the latest release so we would not
have to update these links on every release.

I thought it was something like https://lucene.apache.org/core/latest/ but
that is clearly wrong (HTTP 404). Hrmph.

Thank you for digging!

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Re: Helping to update Lucene FAQ [ In reply to ]
great!

I have registered myself, whereas my username is "michael.wechner". Can
you give me edit/write access for the FAQ page?

I think some changes/updates are very clear, but what about changes I am
not 100% sure about? Should I first ask/discuss them on this mailing
list or what would be the best approach?

Thanks

Michael

Re: Helping to update Lucene FAQ [ In reply to ]
Hi Michael,

I just tried to grant you the necessary CWIKI karma. Can you try again? I
don't fully understand CWIKI authorizations so this may well require some
exciting iterating :)

Thank you David Smiley for pointing me in the right direction!

Re: Helping to update Lucene FAQ [ In reply to ]
Hi Mike

It is working :-) great, thanks!

To test I have updated the links of the first QnA

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENE/LuceneFAQ#LuceneFAQ-HowdoIstartusingLucene?

I understand that we would like to have links which go automatically to
the latest release, whereas will try to find them.

Also I will try to update the other QnAs as soon as possible.

Cheers

Michal

Re: Helping to update Lucene FAQ [ In reply to ]
Am 27.04.21 um 10:10 schrieb Michael Wechner:
> Hi Mike
>
> It is working :-) great, thanks!
>
> To test I have updated the links of the first QnA
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENE/LuceneFAQ#LuceneFAQ-HowdoIstartusingLucene?
>
> I understand that we would like to have links which go automatically
> to the latest release, whereas will try to find them.

I just found the redirect link for "Getting Started Guide" :-)

http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/api/index.html

Re: Helping to update Lucene FAQ [ In reply to ]
Wonderful, thank you Michael!