Mailing List Archive

SOLR-15056 circuit breaker bugfix?
The patch for SOLR-15056 was submitted over two months ago. It fixes a bug, adds a new kind of circuit breaker, improves the documentation, and has unit tests.

I’ll make it into a PR if that is required, bit it is discouraging to put a bunch of work into a fix and have it ignored. This is a much better submission than the bar in Yonik’s Law of Patches.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org
http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)
Re: SOLR-15056 circuit breaker bugfix? [ In reply to ]
Hi Walter,

Can you please create a PR, as Ab mentioned in the JIRA. That would make it
much easier to review considering the size of the patch. It will also be
easier to comment and iterate that way.

-Anshum

--
Anshum Gupta
Re: SOLR-15056 circuit breaker bugfix? [ In reply to ]
+1

I tried reviewing the patch and echoed AB's point of needing a PR. Happy to
do the review as soon as we have that.

Re: SOLR-15056 circuit breaker bugfix? [ In reply to ]
If patches are hard for people, then the How to Contribute page needs to be rewritten to tell people to create PRs. I followed that page when doing this work.

It should have specific instructions on how to make PRs, maybe branch naming, etc. I make PRs all day at work, but I never use github and I don’t know what Solr wants.

Re: SOLR-15056 circuit breaker bugfix? [ In reply to ]
I did share steps for your reference the last time we talked about this:

https://markmail.org/message/2buvbboyoy7ip4v7?q=list:org%2Eapache%2Elucene%2Esolr-dev

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 9:57 AM Walter Underwood <wunder@wunderwood.org> wrote:

> If patches are hard for people, then the How to Contribute page needs to be rewritten to tell people to create PRs. I followed that page when doing this work.
>
> It should have specific instructions on how to make PRs, maybe branch naming, etc. I make PRs all day at work, but I never use github and I don’t know what Solr wants.
>
> wunder
> Walter Underwood
> wunder@wunderwood.org
> http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)
>
> On Mar 23, 2021, at 8:10 PM, Atri Sharma <atri@apache.org> wrote:
>
> +1
>
> I tried reviewing the patch and echoed AB's point of needing a PR. Happy to do the review as soon as we have that.
>
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2021, 03:04 Anshum Gupta, <anshum@anshumgupta.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Walter,
>>
>> Can you please create a PR, as Ab mentioned in the JIRA. That would make it much easier to review considering the size of the patch. It will also be easier to comment and iterate that way.
>>
>> -Anshum
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 2:24 PM Walter Underwood <wunder@wunderwood.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> The patch for SOLR-15056 was submitted over two months ago. It fixes a bug, adds a new kind of circuit breaker, improves the documentation, and has unit tests.
>>>
>>> I’ll make it into a PR if that is required, bit it is discouraging to put a bunch of work into a fix and have it ignored. This is a much better submission than the bar in Yonik’s Law of Patches.
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-15056
>>>
>>> wunder
>>> Walter Underwood
>>> wunder@wunderwood.org
>>> http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)
>>>

>> --
>> Anshum Gupta

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: SOLR-15056 circuit breaker bugfix? [ In reply to ]
I don't think asking contributors to do more work than required (as per
documentation) is a good idea.

Re: SOLR-15056 circuit breaker bugfix? [ In reply to ]
We should update the documentation to point to making PRs.

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 10:30 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
<ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think asking contributors to do more work than required (as per documentation) is a good idea.
>
> On Wed, 24 Mar, 2021, 10:13 am Atri Sharma, <atri@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> I did share steps for your reference the last time we talked about this:
>>
>> https://markmail.org/message/2buvbboyoy7ip4v7?q=list:org%2Eapache%2Elucene%2Esolr-dev
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 9:57 AM Walter Underwood <wunder@wunderwood.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > If patches are hard for people, then the How to Contribute page needs to be rewritten to tell people to create PRs. I followed that page when doing this work.
>> >
>> > It should have specific instructions on how to make PRs, maybe branch naming, etc. I make PRs all day at work, but I never use github and I don’t know what Solr wants.
>> >
>> > wunder
>> > Walter Underwood
>> > wunder@wunderwood.org
>> > http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)
>> >
>> > On Mar 23, 2021, at 8:10 PM, Atri Sharma <atri@apache.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > +1
>> >
>> > I tried reviewing the patch and echoed AB's point of needing a PR. Happy to do the review as soon as we have that.

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Atri
>> Apache Concerted

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: SOLR-15056 circuit breaker bugfix? [ In reply to ]
I made a PR three days ago and linked it in the Jira.

https://github.com/apache/solr/pull/96/files