Mailing List Archive

Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday)
I think my message got buried among other messages, so starting a new thread.

With Solr established, I think we're ready to proceed with forking the
git repository from:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene-solr.git

to:

(Lucene)
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene.git
(Solr)
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/solr.git

My plan is as follows:

1. DISABLE CI jobs and anything that pulls from current master. (Uwe,
would you do help me with this?)

2. Branch master to lucene/main and solr/main. Remove sibling
project's sources from each respective branch.

3. Create a wiping commit on master (leaving a note about Solr going
TLP and new repository locations).

4. Push these changes and branches to lucene-solr.git.

5. Push a git mirror of everything up to this point to Lucene and Solr
repositories.

6. Create and enable independent CI jobs for Lucene and Solr. (Again,
some help here would be needed).

7. If everything goes ok, pop a celebratory beer.

Just as a remainder - the development of branch_8x STAYS ON
lucene-solr. Cherry-picking of individual commits can still be done if
you have two remotes and know how to operate this (admittedly not a
newbie git workflow). Anyone not comfortable - use patches, they're
raw and work well on anything.

Mainline development proceeds in each project's repository independently.

Does Wednesday sound ok for this plan? Then it'd be a few work week
days to clean up the dust.

Dawid

Re: Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday) [ In reply to ]
What happens to open PRs?

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 at 7:28 PM, Dawid Weiss <dawid.weiss@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think my message got buried among other messages, so starting a new
> thread.
>
> With Solr established, I think we're ready to proceed with forking the
> git repository from:
>
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene-solr.git
>
> to:
>
> (Lucene)
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene.git
> (Solr)
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/solr.git
>
> My plan is as follows:
>
> 1. DISABLE CI jobs and anything that pulls from current master. (Uwe,
> would you do help me with this?)
>
> 2. Branch master to lucene/main and solr/main. Remove sibling
> project's sources from each respective branch.
>
> 3. Create a wiping commit on master (leaving a note about Solr going
> TLP and new repository locations).
>
> 4. Push these changes and branches to lucene-solr.git.
>
> 5. Push a git mirror of everything up to this point to Lucene and Solr
> repositories.
>
> 6. Create and enable independent CI jobs for Lucene and Solr. (Again,
> some help here would be needed).
>
> 7. If everything goes ok, pop a celebratory beer.
>
> Just as a remainder - the development of branch_8x STAYS ON
> lucene-solr. Cherry-picking of individual commits can still be done if
> you have two remotes and know how to operate this (admittedly not a
> newbie git workflow). Anyone not comfortable - use patches, they're
> raw and work well on anything.
>
> Mainline development proceeds in each project's repository independently.
>
> Does Wednesday sound ok for this plan? Then it'd be a few work week
> days to clean up the dust.
>
> Dawid

Atri
Apache Concerted
Re: Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday) [ In reply to ]
> What happens to open PRs?

A pull request on github is essentially a diff between two commits.
Existing PRs have to be placed on top of the new development branch.
Note these repositories are (initially) identical with lucene-solr so
if somebody clones the solr repo and the solr-lucene repo, they can
create the same PR over at the new project (pointing at the new main
branch as a reference).

Dawid

RE: Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday) [ In reply to ]
I think the problem was what happens with the PR in Githubs user interface.

This question was asked many times, answer is simple: NO you can't move over Pull requests to different repositories on Github! It's also impossible to export and reimport them. People have to recreate them.

Dawid is correct: You can merge the pull request also into another rlocal repository, but this is impossible with the Github UI. So basically, you have to read the email that comes in with the Pull Request that lists the link to the branch and patch. Then use git command line (or Tortoise) and copypaste the URL there as "source branch" for the merge. Then you execute the merge, squash and commit/push.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
https://www.thetaphi.de

Re: Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday) [ In reply to ]
Actually my question was more around what happens with PRs that cut across
both Lucene and Solr -- but your answer was helpful in itself, thank you!

RE: Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday) [ In reply to ]
Hi again,

we can maybe "improve" the situation a bit: On Github you can (with Admin/Ownership rights) rename a project. So my suggestion:

- Check pull requests and count how many affect solr and how many affect Lucene.
- In cooperation with Infra rename the Github project ("apache/lucene-solr.git") to "apache/lucene.git" (if more pull requests affect Lucene) or "apache/solr.git" (if more are Solr). The PRs will survive the rename. Also the old GitHub URL will redirect to the renamed one. The other project should be created as a fork - of course without PRs.

We can only do this in cooperation with Apache Infra stuff, because we can' change the Github repo settings or rename them using the Github UI.

Uwe

-----

Re: Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday) [ In reply to ]
I'd like to commit SOLR-14381 and LUCENE-9302 together before the fork,
please. I'll hopefully wrap up by Tuesday.

RE: Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday) [ In reply to ]
Hi Dawid,

> My plan is as follows:
>
> 1. DISABLE CI jobs and anything that pulls from current master. (Uwe,
> would you do help me with this?)

Yes, I can do this. I have meetings on Wednesday, but I can already do this tomorrow evening.

> 2. Branch master to lucene/main and solr/main. Remove sibling
> project's sources from each respective branch.
>
> 3. Create a wiping commit on master (leaving a note about Solr going
> TLP and new repository locations).
>
> 4. Push these changes and branches to lucene-solr.git.
>
> 5. Push a git mirror of everything up to this point to Lucene and Solr
> repositories.
>
> 6. Create and enable independent CI jobs for Lucene and Solr. (Again,
> some help here would be needed).

Yes. Basically, we can duplicate the jobs and run the same command, just with different Git checkout. This needs to be done on ASF Jenkins and Policeman Jenkins.

To do this, the easiest is to create a small batch job (that I already used on the ASF Jenkins Move), that extracts the Jenkins Config file of Jobs from the server, patches them and resubmits them under different name. That's much easier than manually editing them. I only need to create an API key.

The workflow is here, easily adaptable for this usecase: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Migrating+jobs+from+Jenkins+to+Cloudbees

> 7. If everything goes ok, pop a celebratory beer.

????

Re: Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday) [ In reply to ]
Hi,

There are 324 open PRs. Some numbers:
Number updated last month: 40
Number not touched last 4 months: 249 (77%)
With LUCENE in title: 93
With SOLR in title: 181

It would be nice to auto migrate but some times you just have to face changes and do some extra work :)
Given how easy it is to create a new PR in the new repo based on the existing PR branch, I say we just clearly document how to do it, and let the ~50 PRs that are actually being worked on be re-created. PR author can add a link to the old one to reference review comments that cannot be carried over.

It would be misleading to just rename to either solr or lucene. Much better to leave old repo there with a README notice that people need to clone the new repo(s) or update their remotes.

Jan

Re: Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday) [ In reply to ]
Yeah, I agree with Jan -- don't rename the GitHub repo. It's going to be
painful no matter what and a rename doesn't seem appropriate.

I am curious as to the status of /solr code being buildable without
/lucene. The steps above at #2 say for each project to remove the other
side. Is Solr ready? Where will Solr get the Lucene binaries?

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Re: Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday) [ In reply to ]
Can we provide a sequence of git commands for folks to run? Or will the
official guidance be to create new local clones of each repo?

Re: Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday) [ In reply to ]
One of us will get there first and should share. For my part, I intend to
add a new remote, pull the branches from it, then use "git worktree" to add
a new local work tree alongside my existing ones (for lucene_solr master,
lucene_solr branch_8x). I call my current remote "apache" but I might
first rename it to "apache_pre9". I am not yet sure if I will use another
worktree for the new Lucene repo or if I'll do a new clone.

I think there's a case to be made for the Lucene repo to rewrite history to
remove Solr.

Re: Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday) [ In reply to ]
Answering my own question -- apparently Solr on master now depends on
snapshot builds of Lucene published by ASF Nexus:
Cool!

About PRs: Someone should experiment here to see what's involved before
the split. To get this started, I pushed a "solr_main" branch to my GitHub
Solr fork. All I did was create a branch off of master, then remove Lucene
and commit & pushed that. Someone, please try to take one of your existing
PRs and send it to my fork against solr_main to see how that goes? This
needs to be figured out before the split so we all have guidance on how to
do this without all of us trying to redundantly figure it out at the same
time.

Re: Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday) [ In reply to ]
Made a branch in my normal repo: https://github.com/cominvent/lucene-solr/tree/silly-pr and spun it up as a PR against your solr-only test repo https://github.com/dsmiley/lucene-solr/pull/1
Looks like this won't be a problem :)

I imagine a documentation like this HOWTO I created in the Solr Wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/Move+your+PR+to+the+new+Solr+GitHub+repo

Jan

Re: Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday) [ In reply to ]

Re: Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday) [ In reply to ]
> Can we provide a sequence of git commands for folks to run? Or will the official guidance be to create new local clones of each repo?

Yes, I will do that in the readme file placed on master branch, once cleaned up.

Don't panic, please. git is a wonderful version control system in that
it doesn't care where the "repository" comes from. It's just a graph
of commits - when we clone the repository, it remains the same graph.
Any commits (on your local branches) created prior to the fork ("PRs")
remain valid - the element of relative difficulty is in the github
interface, not in git itself...

Cross-project patches will not merge automatically - you'll have to
split them manually. But this, again, is something relatively trivial
(you could even edit the patch file with a text editor...).

Please don't rush to commit changes to the lucene-solr repository.

Dawid

Re: Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday) [ In reply to ]
> Yes, I can do this. I have meetings on Wednesday, but I can already do
> this tomorrow evening.

I think we can live with this. Please disable those jenkins jobs at your
convenience, thank you Uwe.

> Yes. Basically, we can duplicate the jobs and run the same command, just
> with different Git checkout. This needs to be done on ASF Jenkins and
> Policeman Jenkins.

Correct. Initially it'll be identical. In the future I think it'd be good
to pull up modules from under 'lucene' up to the root folder but this isn't
a trivial change as project and task paths are all over the build and it
should be a follow-up.

> ????

Ah, my friend. I wish we could do this in person.

D.
RE: Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday) [ In reply to ]
Hi Dawid,

give me a short ping when you start tomorrow. I will disable master jenkins jobs possibly this evening.

Uwe

-----

RE: Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday) [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I already changed the Solr-Refguide and Solr-Artifact builds to use the builds@solr.apache.org <mailto:builds@solr.apache.org> mailing list for build mails. I also cleaned up some outdated jobs. As Jenkins’ address is not subscribed to builds@solr.apache.org (and never should be subscribed), the address may need to be put on the “accept” list. So this is important information for the moderators: If a build mail goes into moderation, somebody of the moderators has to use “reply all” to let it through (reply-all automatically adds mail to the whitelist).

Uwe

-----

Re: Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday) [ In reply to ]
Thanks Jan!

I thought I saw in this thread something about the lucene-solr repo
becoming read-only? I imagine it would be a good thing to continue
discussions on PRs, even if to simply add a URL pointing to follow-up PRs.
And we'll need to make commits to branch_8x and previous branches for
future releases (e.g. for a vulnerability).

Re: Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday) [ In reply to ]
The question is whether branch_8x work would happen in lucene.git or in lucene-solr.git? Perhaps lucene-solr.git is most logical. Dawid?

Jan

Re: Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday) [ In reply to ]
> The question is whether branch_8x work would happen in lucene.git or in lucene-solr.git? Perhaps lucene-solr.git is most logical. Dawid?

If we want to keep the previous build infrastructure then I personally
think lucene-solr.git is most suitable. Main branches move to their
corresponding repositories.

D.

RE: Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday) [ In reply to ]
+1

-----

RE: Repository fork (master) about to happen (Wednesday) [ In reply to ]
“Master” builds are disabled on ASF Jenkins and Policeman Jenkins.

Uwe

-----