Hi community!

The Apache Software Foundation has a foundation-wide Code of Conduct written up (https://www.apache.org/foundation/policies/conduct), and I believe the Lucene and Solr communities would benefit from explicitly adopting it for our projects. This is an example of how HBase has done so: https://hbase.apache.org/coc.html

When it comes to email communication in particular, I find this etiquette from ComDev helpful: https://community.apache.org/contributors/etiquette. Let's link to it as well.

Finally, it could be helpful to also call out http://theapacheway.com/ or a similar resource about The Apache Way.

Please see my early attempt at including CoC in the new Solr webpage draft: https://lucene-solrtlp.staged.apache.org/community.html#code-of-conduct
I plan to add a similar section or page to the Lucene site.

Appreciate your feedback on this. Our discussions sometimes heat up, which is not uncommon from time to time. But perhaps reminding ourselves about The Apache Way, CoC and Etiquette will help each of us adopting healthier practices in writing emails, choosing our words wisely etc. I know it helps for me.

Jan
Re: Lucene/Solr Code of Conduct and etiquette [ In reply to ]
+1

Re: Lucene/Solr Code of Conduct and etiquette [ In reply to ]
I like the sentiments in all of those links. I'd be +1 on including all 3
conduct, etiquette and apacheway links.

http://www.needhamsoftware.com (work)
http://www.the111shift.com (play)
Re: Lucene/Solr Code of Conduct and etiquette [ In reply to ]
Please see the updated code of conduct pages in staging sites:

Lucene: https://lucene-new.staged.apache.org/code-of-conduct.html

Jan

Re: Lucene/Solr Code of Conduct and etiquette [ In reply to ]
Thanks for adding this, Jan.

I'll take a look at the pages tomorrow.

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 1:30 AM Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com> wrote:

> Hi community!
>
> The Apache Software Foundation has a foundation-wide Code of Conduct
> written up (https://www.apache.org/foundation/policies/conduct), and I
> believe the Lucene and Solr communities would benefit from explicitly
> adopting it for our projects. This is an example of how HBase has done so:
> https://hbase.apache.org/coc.html
>
> When it comes to email communication in particular, I find this etiquette
> from ComDev helpful: https://community.apache.org/contributors/etiquette.
> Let's link to it as well.
>
> Finally, it could be helpful to also call out http://theapacheway.com/ or
> a similar resource about The Apache Way.
>
> Please see my early attempt at including CoC in the new Solr webpage
> draft:
> https://lucene-solrtlp.staged.apache.org/community.html#code-of-conduct
> I plan to add a similar section or page to the Lucene site.
>
> Appreciate your feedback on this. Our discussions sometimes heat up, which
> is not uncommon from time to time. But perhaps reminding ourselves about
> The Apache Way, CoC and Etiquette will help each of us adopting healthier
> practices in writing emails, choosing our words wisely etc. I know it helps
> for me.
>
> Jan

Anshum Gupta
Re: Lucene/Solr Code of Conduct and etiquette [ In reply to ]
Another thought looking at the top of that page (and somewhat off topic),
though obviously mentioned elsewhere, the first line of support should
probably the Ref Guide. Not that it can't be found elsewhere, but it should
probably be the first place folks look.

Re: Lucene/Solr Code of Conduct and etiquette [ In reply to ]
+1 to all three. Thanks Jan for the idea and then folding this into both
Solr and Lucene sites!

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com