Mailing List Archive

Guys, I think SolrCloud might be sic.
So it’s been a while since I’ve brought up SolrCloud sickness. Plenty to
navigate and figure out in the meantime. Given the constraints of life,
there was a point I wanted to give and share some insight into what I could
see. But it quickly became clear that was not a great plan - just what I
was left with because I could not dedicate or plan beyond a small or very
long time range. It turns out that telling someone, take a peak through
these key holes, can you see what I see? 10-100x better!? The skys the
limit? Don’t you see it?! What? The bathrooms? Yeah yeah, no the bathrooms
are being demolished, look here through the key hole. More units tests and
modules you say? Exaggeration confusion? Yeah yeah, never mind.

None the less, you do not tear down what you don’t have a plan to address.
And you cannot start anew until you have acknowledged and accepted the
past. Well, who knows, I have my own codes. What’s a man/woman without a
code.

And so, while maybe I’m always wrong or unintelligent, I’ve only ever
expressed a truth I feel I could and can defend, if the chips started
falling.

And at this point, I’d like to say that SolrCloud might be sic.

There is some ongoing work and plenty that will be happening for some time.
But I have not tried to create a collection or many collections other than
mostly around the small numbers that tests do (with the exception of 100
collections, created over time, sometimes with Ishans stress system). A
couple to a few collections. A handful of shards. A handful of replicas.

The other day I figured I’d modify a test just to see what I’d be dealing
with when I get some fun times soon.

I used a single 512mb test jvm, nightly settings and fired up a 12x12
collection on 4 jetty Solr runners. 144 SolrCores. It essentially just
started up and returned. Shit, is that broken? The test is green? No way.
Ok.

I would have bet 0 dollars on that first run.

Yesterday, okay, I’m feeling good, let’s roll the dice. I fire up 24 shards
and 24 replicas for each. I’m not even optimistic, I mean this is cold and
blind at these numbers. And after what looks like a nice start, things
quickly deteriorate. Ok, ok, looks like maybe a limit adjust and maybe I’m
asking a little much of 512mb of Ram. So I just bump it to 2 gig for some
play headroom.

Bam. 6 seconds. Fully green and active cluster. Sic.

That’s two runs, so yeah, I’ve got a future play date scheduled for more.
But, one, that’s indicative of a ridiculous amount of Solr code and
behavior. It’s a load bearing beam of action. But also, I’ve got similar
sicness buried all over the place.

So yeah, the system can rock. Yonik’s design sense was not the monster
after all, surprise ending. And interested parties could and will help take
it forward so very much further. Don’t mortgage the house yet, an Apache
release of my play time is not happening next week. But with the same shock
and horror and surety that I said SolrCloud looks sick, I revise to
SolrCloud looks sic. And it wants a second shot, and by god it will have it.

--
- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller
Re: Guys, I think SolrCloud might be sic. [ In reply to ]
Let me amend this a bit to be a little more informative.

SolrCloud will get a second shot, I'm bringing it up because I'm near
the end of the road on my effort toward that shot (bittersweet and
thank god). It will be visible, touchable, smellable and observable.

I am not a Solr PMC member, I have not committed anything to an Apache
branch in what must be well over a year now, and there are no doubt
more than a few developers plugging along, thinking, what is this
annoyance and presumption in my mailbox and where is that spam button.

So let's be clear. I've got the shot, shots are interesting and
valuable. If you ever wondered what SolrCloud was supposed to be, what
another view of it could be, that's signed, sealed and delivered.

When I say this won't be in an Apache release next week, that's
probably a little too optimistic a phrasing for a variety of
recipients here. I've just about wrapped up my goals, I'm walking on
sunshine, my itches and goals have been tickled pink, more than a few
people are going to be interested and gain some value from what I will
dutifully wrap up.

But that's the fruit of my mission, not a big bottle of forced
medicine for those that have very different views about the current
software and what could and should be done with it and what's going on
with it now. There is more than enough room for reasonable different
opinions on all these topics.

So a bit of an accuracy correction - anyone who wants to is going to
get to take a look at a SolrCloud that in my opinion, is satisfyingly
like it was always supposed to be. Not everyone cares about that, so
sorry, didn't mean to mislead you, and others think the current stuff
is fairly close or on the path to what SolrCloud is supposed to be.
Lots of people, a lot of different views and feelings. I promise to
share my view and feelings in code, I don't promise they displace all
the people actually running this project or that they should or that
is what drives me.

I'm excited and wrapping and enjoying the fruits of my labor, I'm
going to more than happily put up for display, and that's about the
extend of what I really should have communicated.
Mark

Re: Guys, I think SolrCloud might be sic. [ In reply to ]
So I’m done with my mode and effort meant to ensure I don’t get knocked out
like a year and a half ago.

There is still some ongoing effort with some others that will happen to
solidify this work.

Essentially though, my starburst and then stellar effort is done (even the
party Melinda my effort has a bit to go).

Thank you to everyone that played a roll, hardest thing I’ve ever done,
without some key people I never would have made.

I need to reset and work with others on this wrap bit of work, and then we
will find out what and if this work can bring an value to Solr.

Mark
--
- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller
Re: Guys, I think SolrCloud might be sic. [ In reply to ]
Except for some fixes and tweaks and some planned continued testing
and banging in more real envs, I'm done with this mission.

It will take some time and effort to expose what is here, see what and
how various things can be captured and extracted, pull in others to
help with that task, etc, but that is what's next.

Will certainly take a little time.

- Mark