https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13394?jql=project%20%3D%20SOLR%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20Reopened%2C%20Resolved%2C%20%22Patch%20Available%22)%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Fixed%20AND%20fixVersion%20in%20releasedVersions()

There are 1102 tickets that appear to be old dealt with tickets and should be CLOSED.

I wanted to point that out, and see if someone could move them to CLOSED, or point me to how to do the Bulk Close that I’ve seen happen periodically over the years.

Eric

_______________________
Eric Pugh | Founder & CEO | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com <http://www.opensourceconnections.com/> | My Free/Busy <http://tinyurl.com/eric-cal>
Co-Author: Apache Solr Enterprise Search Server, 3rd Ed <https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/apache-solr-enterprise-search-server-third-edition-raw>
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of whether attachments are marked as such.
Re: JIRA issues to close? [ In reply to ]
You may enjoy using JiraSearch for this kinds of things, it has a very
nice "Updated Ago >x", and "Last comment user" facet and 'shift-click'
multi-select on status:
http://jirasearch.mikemccandless.com/

For the bulk changes, from the screen you are at, you click on Tools
near top-right area of the screen and select "screen" or "1000" and
that's the beginning of the process. Makes sure to unselect "notify
everybody" box on the last (2nd last?) screen or a lot of people will
be upset.

But also, we had less than fantastic history with bulk closing (had to
reopen/revert). So, it may be better to focus on a very small, clearly
"done" subset and/or leave quick notes "can this be closed" with a
follow-up to close.

Regards,
Alex.

Re: JIRA issues to close? [ In reply to ]
At times in the past (maybe still) there have been lots of issues with a released fix version which are marked as Open, Reopened, or Patch Available. It’s just not a thing we monitor or correct very comprehensively so those issues are very likely still open and should not be closed.

To be sure a bulk edit such as this does not close things that should really be open, the query should stick to things that are marked Resolved only.

Re: JIRA issues to close? [ In reply to ]
What is the difference between resolving an issue vs closing the issue? Do
we need that extra step of closing an issue?

Re: JIRA issues to close? [ In reply to ]
Good question. I don’t have a great sense of exactly what the lifecycle is for a JIRA issue. Is “Resolved” and “Closed” mean the same thing?

I was assuming that “Resolved” meant it had been fixed, but maybe wasn’t in a released version of Solr. And Closed would mean it had been in a shipped version of Solr?

_______________________
Re: JIRA issues to close? [ In reply to ]
As to the second part of your question, I found it confusing to have two states, and if the individual states have meaning, then I want to make sure that issues are all in the right state, and if not, try to get them there.

Re: JIRA issues to close? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 4:28 PM Eric Pugh <epugh@opensourceconnections.com>
wrote:

> Good question. I don’t have a great sense of exactly what the lifecycle
> is for a JIRA issue. Is “Resolved” and “Closed” mean the same thing?
>
> I was assuming that “Resolved” meant it had been fixed, but maybe wasn’t
> in a released version of Solr. And Closed would mean it had been in a
> shipped version of Solr?

Precisely.

The distinction is not a big deal to me but it's the workflow we have.