Mailing List Archive

[VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.8.1 RC1
Please vote for release candidate 1 for Lucene/Solr 8.8.1

The artifacts can be downloaded from:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.8.1-RC1-rev6a50a0315ac7e4979abb0b530857c7795bb3b928

You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:

python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.8.1-RC1-rev6a50a0315ac7e4979abb0b530857c7795bb3b928

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours i.e. until 2021-02-17 17:00 UTC.

Here is my +1 ~ SUCCESS! [0:50:06.728441]

In addition to the smoke test, I built a Docker image from solr-8.8.1.tgz
locally and verified:

a. A rolling upgrade of a 3-node 8.7.0 cluster to the 8.8.1 RC completes
successfully w/o any NPEs or weirdness with leader election / recoveries.

b. The base_url property is stored in replica state after the upgrade

c. A basic client application built with SolrJ 8.7.0 can load cluster state
info directly from ZK and query the 8.8.1 RC1 servers.

d. Same client app built with SolrJ 8.8.0 works as well.

As this bug-fix release is primarily needed to address a SolrJ back-compat
break (SOLR-15145) and unfortunately our smoke tester framework does not
test for backcompat of older SolrJ against the RC, I ask others to please
test rolling upgrades of servers (ideally multi-node clusters) running
pre-8.8.0
to this RC if possible. Also, please try client applications that are using
an older SolrJ, esp. those that load cluster state directly from ZK.

Best regards,

Tim
Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.8.1 RC1 [ In reply to ]
Looks like an extra space got added on the end of the python3 command, try
this one:

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.8.1 RC1 [ In reply to ]
I've unsuccessfully tried getting the smoketester to pass and have had 6
fails so far.

At this point it seems like SolrCloudReporterTest and
AutoscalingHistoryTest tests are failing pretty consistently for me.

The former is a new failure, and seems to be caused by the
USE_PER_REPLICA_STATE randomization.

Both Tim and me tried running the tests without the randomization and
defaulting that property to false gets the tests to pass, however it seems
to be failing every time the value for USE_PER_REPLICA_STATE is set to true.

I'm not voting -1 yet, as I'm not sure how much this affects the build vs
the test, but once we have a clearer picture, we might need a fix and have
to respin this.

-Anshum

--
Anshum Gupta
Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.8.1 RC1 [ In reply to ]
Surprising. I'll take a look.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.8.1 RC1 [ In reply to ]
Per Replica States is a new feature introduced in 8.8.0. It will require a
critical bugfix (SOLR-15138) immediately after 8.8.1 (in a 8.8.2 release).
If this issue is confirmed to be PRS related, then I think we should
continue with this release and fix PRS in 8.8.2.

However, if you still want us to investigate and fix this issue now, we can
take a look. If you have a failing seed handy, please let me know.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.8.1 RC1 [ In reply to ]
Here's my +1 for the RC1.

SUCCESS! [0:42:38.936787]

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 9:02 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.8.1 RC1 [ In reply to ]
@Anshum Gupta

I think we should not hold up the release of RC1 because of that failure.

This is a new feature and new features take time to get hardened.

However, We can investigate and fix this anyway.

If required, we can do a 8.8.3

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 3:10 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.8.1 RC1 [ In reply to ]
I tried light beasting the test on branch_8_8:
ant -Dtests.dups=1 -Dtests.iters=5 -Dbeast.iters=5
-Dtestcase=SolrCloudReportersTest beast

No failures.

[beaster] Beast round 1 results:
/home/ishan/code/lucene-solr/solr/build/solr-core/test/1
[beaster] Beast round 2 results:
/home/ishan/code/lucene-solr/solr/build/solr-core/test/2
[beaster] Beast round 3 results:
/home/ishan/code/lucene-solr/solr/build/solr-core/test/3
[beaster] Beast round 4 results:
/home/ishan/code/lucene-solr/solr/build/solr-core/test/4
[beaster] Beast round 5 results:
/home/ishan/code/lucene-solr/solr/build/solr-core/test/5
[beaster] Beasting finished Successfully.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.8.1 RC1 [ In reply to ]
Ishan/Noble, thanks for taking a look at this.

I only just started to look at the cause, so I'm sure you have better
context on why this is failing and if it makes sense to still release with
this issue.

FYI, I was able to get a successful smoke test run finally, but the fact
that it took me over 7 runs.

Also, can you confirm how did you run the test? you might be getting lucky
with the randomization here. Both me and Tim just commented out the
randomization for USE_PER_REPLICA_STATE and hardcoding this value to true
consistently got the test to fail. The default (false) did get the test to
pass 100% of the times.

If you think we can have this fix before the release, it might make more
sense to have a single release for users as it wouldn't involve tracking
the complexity of what's broken in a released version. I still would like
to spend some more time tomorrow before voting on this one, but at least
the smoke test is out of the way. I'll try and debug this tomorrow.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 8:40 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <

Anshum Gupta
Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.8.1 RC1 [ In reply to ]
I did another round of beast, this time setting that flag to true (as
suggested to me by Noble).

ant -Duse.perreplica=true -Dtests.dups=1 -Dtests.iters=5 -Dbeast.iters=5
-Dtestcase=SolrCloudReportersTest beast

-beast:
[beaster] Beast round 1 results:
/home/ishan/code/lucene-solr/solr/build/solr-core/test/1
[beaster] Beast round 2 results:
/home/ishan/code/lucene-solr/solr/build/solr-core/test/2
[beaster] Beast round 3 results:
/home/ishan/code/lucene-solr/solr/build/solr-core/test/3
[beaster] Beast round 4 results:
/home/ishan/code/lucene-solr/solr/build/solr-core/test/4
[beaster] Beast round 5 results:
/home/ishan/code/lucene-solr/solr/build/solr-core/test/5
[beaster] Beasting finished Successfully.

I'm not sure what's going on :-(

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.8.1 RC1 [ In reply to ]
Interesting.

I didn't use the flag, but just changed the code to comment out the
randomization from SolrCloudTestCase.java.

I think Tim did the same, so I'm not sure if that's the difference or if
there's a difference of environment.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 9:48 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <

--
Anshum Gupta
Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.8.1 RC1 [ In reply to ]
@Anshum Gupta

The failure seems to be because of a timeout during collection
creation. My h/w is really fast and beefy and may be that's why it
doesn't get reproduced. We have sped up collection creation
significantly in branch_8x. Can you please re run the same tests on 8x
branch please? If it's already fixed may be we should spin an RC2 with
the latest fixes

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.8.1 RC1 [ In reply to ]
Curious, the smoke tester passed for me on the first try:

SUCCESS! [0:44:29.979512]

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.8.1 RC1 [ In reply to ]
> The failure seems to be because of a timeout during collection
> creation

Thanks for digging in. Seems like that is the exact class of fix that we
did for SOLR-15138 and are planning for 8.8.2. Shall we backport that fix
to the release branch now (for RC2 or 8.8.2)?

> My h/w is really fast and beefy and may be that's why it doesn't get
reproduced.
Same here, Ryzen 9 5950X (fastest mainstream CPU out there).

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.8.1 RC1 [ In reply to ]
Hmm, I got a failure on
org.apache.solr.handler.admin.AutoscalingHistoryHandlerTest.testHistory,
but it did not reproduce (tried twice). Would that possibly also be
addressed by those fixes?

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 7:38 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.8.1 RC1 [ In reply to ]
I'm beasting AutoscalingHistoryHandlerTest locally now, I haven't seen that
one fail on my side yet.

As far as respin 8.8.1 RC, it's not a problem for me and I prefer that to
doing an 8.8.2 soon after 8.8.1 comes out. Are there other fixes you're
aware of that are slated for 8.8.2 @Ishan Chattopadhyaya
<ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com>? In other words, if the fix for 15138 is all
that will be in 8.8.2, let's just include it in 8.8.1 and hopefully we
won't need an 8.8.2 ;-)

Tim

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.8.1 RC1 [ In reply to ]
Sounds good, Tim. I've ported the fix to the release branch. Just ran the
tests to make sure it works fine.
Thanks for the extra work you'll have to do (RC2) in order to save me
future work (8.8.2). Really owe you one!

> Are there other fixes you're aware of that are slated for 8.8.2 @Ishan
Chattopadhyaya <ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com>?
I am not aware of anything else.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.8.1 RC1 [ In reply to ]
@Ishan ~ Can you look at the question Mike raised about
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-15135 please?

So the AutoscalingHistoryHandlerTest has a number of hard-coded wait times
in it. While I can appreciate the need for waiting to see state changes
occur, tests like this aren't great for CI and RC smoke tests given the
variability of hardware. Case in point, I made this change:

```

*diff --git
a/solr/core/src/test/org/apache/solr/handler/admin/AutoscalingHistoryHandlerTest.java
b/solr/core/src/test/org/apache/solr/handler/admin/AutoscalingHistoryHandlerTest.java*

*index a9eea7f7ca5..3b2d39c3317 100644*

*---
a/solr/core/src/test/org/apache/solr/handler/admin/AutoscalingHistoryHandlerTest.java*

*+++
b/solr/core/src/test/org/apache/solr/handler/admin/AutoscalingHistoryHandlerTest.java*

@@ -282,7 +282,7 @@ public class AutoscalingHistoryHandlerTest extends
SolrCloudTestCase {

boolean await = actionFiredLatch.await(60, TimeUnit.SECONDS);

assertTrue("action did not execute", await);

- await = listenerFiredLatch.await(60, TimeUnit.SECONDS);

+ await = listenerFiredLatch.await(120, TimeUnit.SECONDS);

assertTrue("listener did not execute", await);

waitForRecovery(COLL_NAME);
```

And of course, beasting passes 5 out of 5; it fails pretty consistently on
the first run w/o this change. So I vote we @BadApple this test for 8.8.1
and move forward with RC2 now that Ishan's changes are in. Moreover, since
we removed auto-scaling from master, holding up a critical bug fix for a
test that fails intermittently b/c of timing seems imprudent. I'm also
biased in that I want to get the fix for 15145 out ASAP ;-)

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 9:08 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.8.1 RC1 [ In reply to ]
Yes, doing a single 8.8.2 release that has all the fixes, especially as we
have the fix already is much better for the users.

Thanks for your patience, Tim :)

Anshum Gupta
Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.8.1 RC1 [ In reply to ]
Ha! I pulled in Ishan's fixes for 15138 and now AutoscalingHistoryHandlerTest
behaves the same as in 8.7! Beasted 10 out of 10 passed, so
no @BadApple'ing needed ;-)

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.8.1 RC1 [ In reply to ]
I'm going to try to fix SOLR-15135 and then kick-off RC2 later today.

If you're in the middle of the RC1 smoke test, it's still valuable to let
it finish, otherwise, please hold off on testing RC1

Cheers,
Tim