On branch_8x "ant package" in both the lucene & solr directories handles
this by delegation to either package-tgz-src or package-src-tgz (for some
reason they have diff names in each dir?) ... but there doesn't seem to be
any equivilent of this logic in the gradle build.

Was this an oversight, or is ther some other plan for where/how we deal
with "src.tgz" release artifacts in 9.x ?

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: package-tgz-src / package-src-tgz equivilent missing from gradle build on master? [ In reply to ]
It wasn't as much of an oversight as lack of knowledge how to deal
with it. I personally think the source distribution should be
equivalent to a clean git checkout. If this works for you then things
are relatively simple and I can do it.

Dawid

Re: package-tgz-src / package-src-tgz equivilent missing from gradle build on master? [ In reply to ]

Re: package-tgz-src / package-src-tgz equivilent missing from gradle build on master? [ In reply to ]
: It wasn't as much of an oversight as lack of knowledge how to deal
: with it. I personally think the source distribution should be
: equivalent to a clean git checkout. If this works for you then things
: are relatively simple and I can do it.

I'm not an authority here, so what works for me doesn't really matter :)

While i would generally agree with you, I think there are some aspects of
how the current targets work that are worth bearing in mind since
deliberate decisions were made to get to this point - deliberate
decisions should probably made to "undo" these choices..

* excluding jdk javadoc package-list files (for licensing reasons evidently)
* building Changes.html from CHANGES.txt
* including lucnee/CHANGES.txt in solr as LUCENE_CHANGES.txt
* setting chmod bits on scripts

: > thinking about how we (want to) build solr docker containers moving
: > forward (SOLR-15102) lead me to realize that on the mster branch, there
: > doesn't seem to be any logic to build the "*-src.tgz" files.
: >
: > On branch_8x "ant package" in both the lucene & solr directories handles
: > this by delegation to either package-tgz-src or package-src-tgz (for some
: > reason they have diff names in each dir?) ... but there doesn't seem to be
: > any equivilent of this logic in the gradle build.
: >
: > Was this an oversight, or is ther some other plan for where/how we deal
: > with "src.tgz" release artifacts in 9.x ?
: >
: >
: > -Hoss
: > http://www.lucidworks.com/
: >
: > For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org
: >
:

Re: package-tgz-src / package-src-tgz equivilent missing from gradle build on master? [ In reply to ]
Thanks for getting the list of steps currently taken.

These are easy to keep in the gradle task:

- excluding jdk javadoc package-list files (for licensing reasons
evidently)
- setting chmod bits on scripts

building Changes.html from CHANGES.txt

I'm not sure building Changes.html is a huge necessity for the source
package. It's already done in the artifacts release, so maybe it's better
to just leave it there?
No other documentation sites are provided, so I find it a bit odd that this
is. I might be missing context though.

including lucene/CHANGES.txt in solr as LUCENE_CHANGES.txt

While useful when the projects are connected, we probably won't keep this
when the projects are split (though I could be wrong on this, it would be
good to discuss anyways).
If that happens before 9.0 is cut, then this is likely moot.

So we could always start with a task that does a clean checkout, and the
two easy steps mentioned above. Should be a good first pass, that we can
change later if needed.

- Houston

Re: package-tgz-src / package-src-tgz equivilent missing from gradle build on master? [ In reply to ]
At this major juncture in the project (switching build systems), it's worth
re-considering what we need to produce on a release. A -src.tar.gz seems
anachronistic to me given both (a) GitHub source control providing a
convenient download .tar.gz for any release "tag" --
https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/releases, and (b) maven central
having -source.jar for convenience in IDE tooling. So why bother?

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Re: package-tgz-src / package-src-tgz equivilent missing from gradle build on master? [ In reply to ]
: At this major juncture in the project (switching build systems), it's worth
: re-considering what we need to produce on a release. A -src.tar.gz seems
: anachronistic to me given both (a) GitHub source control providing a
: convenient download .tar.gz for any release "tag" --
: https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/releases, and (b) maven central
: having -source.jar for convenience in IDE tooling. So why bother?

Because we're required to by ASF policy...

http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#artifacts

"Every ASF release MUST contain one or more source packages, which MUST be
sufficient for a user to build and test the release provided they have
access to the appropriate platform and tools."

"As a convenience to users that might not have the appropriate tools to
build a compiled version of the source, binary/bytecode packages MAY be
distributed alongside official Apache releases. In all such cases, the
binary/bytecode package MUST have the same version number as the source
release and MUST only add binary/bytecode files that are the result of
compiling that version of the source code release and its dependencies."

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/