Mailing List Archive

Lucene CHANGES.txt 8.8 adjustment proposals
I'm reviewing the 8.8 section of CHANGES.txt to see what's coming.
Perhaps my proposals might come off as nit-picking; if you don't care then
you don't have to say so :-). I care about CHANGES.txt being well organized
because it helps us all understand the changes better, especially for our
users.

Should "New Features" include new options/toggles on existing features,
leaving such for "Improvements"? It could helps delineate larger release
highlights from incremental improvement features but I really have no
strong opinion. It'd be nice to have some consistency on the matter;
otherwise the distinct sections here become arbitrary. For 8.8, it appears
all are on New Features; the two Improvements we have actually strike me as
Optimizations...

This Improvement issues sounds like Optimization issues:
* LUCENE-9455: ExitableTermsEnum should sample timeout and interruption
check before calling next(). (Zach Chen via Bruno Roustant)
* LUCENE-9023: GlobalOrdinalsWithScore should not compute occurrences when
the
provided min is 1. (Jim Ferenczi)

Mike Drob, why did you add this Solr item to Lucene under Other?:
* SOLR-14995: Update Jetty to 9.4.34 (Mike Drob)

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley
Re: Lucene CHANGES.txt 8.8 adjustment proposals [ In reply to ]
Lucene had Jetty versions listed under its own dependencies, I didn't
investigate further on how it's used. I suspect it is for lucene
replication, but I didn't look further.

That actually reminds me that I think I never finished the backport to 8.8;
I think this change is currently only on master. Let me double check.

Re: Lucene CHANGES.txt 8.8 adjustment proposals [ In reply to ]
Never mind, that was correctly backported to branch_8x, not sure why I
thought that it wasn't. Apologies for the confusion.

If you feel that it needs to be under a different section, I have no
objections to it. Alternatively, we can move that SOLR issue to LUCENE jira
and edit the entry if that's what you have concerns about.