*Commit notification list:* commits-crossdc@lucene.apache.org (I think it
makes sense for these commit notifications to go to a new list, but I'm
open to reusing the old one)
*GitHub notification list:* dev@lucene.apache.org

I'll be submitting a request for the same later in the day today if there
are no concerns.

--
Anshum Gupta
Re: Requesting a new GH repository for CrossDC modules [ In reply to ]
-1 on this. Without finalizing on the shape of how the solution will look
like, I don't think we should start a repository: it would be bad if we
have to abandon the repository of our approach changes (say we want to keep
it tightly integrated inside Solr).

Re: Requesting a new GH repository for CrossDC modules [ In reply to ]
I understand your concern, but this is the placeholder for where the code
would be, not what the code would look like.

Considering we agreed to do this in a repository outside of the core, I
believe this is a good place to start. The idea that the release cadence
for the cross-dc effort should be different from that of core is an
argument in favor of this approach, but I'm happy to talk more about it.
I just thought that based on the original email, folks were on-board with
the idea of this being outside of core Solr artifact/release.

--
Anshum Gupta
Re: Requesting a new GH repository for CrossDC modules [ In reply to ]
I'm not sure where I sit on this, going to start typing things and then
hopefully I'll reach a conclusion by the end.

This definitely needs to be outside of the core solr repo so that it can be
versioned and released independently. And I disagree with Ishan about the
consequence of abandoning the repository - if we realize that it's a bad
direction then we can pivot, but we shouldn't let a fear of the unknown
stop us from doing it in the first place.

However, if all we need right now is a place to commit code that is WIP,
then what we really want is a sandbox to play with, and not necessarily a
strongly directed repo. Lucene has a sandbox in the main code. We could
similarly start this under Solr contrib and move it out before an actual
release of 9x happens. Or maybe we start with a [lucene-]solr-sandbox
repository that we can throw all sorts of stuff into and then when
components are mature enough they get to graduate into their own repo?

Mike

Re: Requesting a new GH repository for CrossDC modules [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the feedback, Mike.

I like the idea of the sandbox, but that might be restricting when we want
to work on more than one repos.

I'm not sure if that would happen in the near future, but as we can always
discard the repo and it doesn't really come at a cost, I don't see a
problem with having a repo created for this specific reason.

--
Anshum Gupta
Re: Requesting a new GH repository for CrossDC modules [ In reply to ]
If all we need now is a place to commit a PoC for now (and something like
sandbox repo or contribs won't suffice), why can't we have a separate
repository in GitHub outside Apache and merge into an Apache repository
only once the code takes reasonable shape?

Re: Requesting a new GH repository for CrossDC modules [ In reply to ]
An external repository probably ends up requiring a software grant? I know
there is a material difference between code originating externally and code
originating within the umbrella of the ASF in terms of IP, copyright, or
other legal status.

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 8:11 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <

Re: Requesting a new GH repository for CrossDC modules [ In reply to ]
Not necessarily. Most people contribute to Apache Lucene/Solr using
external repositories (forks) and raise pull requests against Apache owned
repositories. There's no SGA needed on such occasions.

I see two paths forward from here.

a) Lets setup a single repository for all packages/plugins, say
lucene-solr-extras or lucene-solr-contribs or lucene-solr-sandbox etc., and
develop it there.
b) All development for this effort happens in an external repository (
https://github.com/apple/solr-dc or https://github.com/anshumg/solr-dc) and
we raise a PR against Apache owned repository (which can be created if
needed once we are all onboard).

What does everyone else think?

Re: Requesting a new GH repository for CrossDC modules [ In reply to ]
The problem with a single repository is that it will/may conflict at times.
Also, I still don't see the problem with having the extra repo as long as
we aren't releasing anything.

The problem with (b) is that you can't create a PR from a random repository
to a repo it isn't a fork of. I also don't think people should own code and
build outside of the ASF umbrella until things are ready to be released,
it's completely against the Apache Way. Having the code in the ASF umbrella
comes at no cost to the project. If at any point it needs to be dropped,
it's easier and cleaner as it wouldn't touch anything else.

Does this make sense?

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 1:46 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <

--
Anshum Gupta
Re: Requesting a new GH repository for CrossDC modules [ In reply to ]
While I like the idea of a single (Apache!) repo for multiple
packages/plugins, that does not apply to the Solr Operator, which isn't
even in Java. It's too unique. So I agree with Anshum & others about
creating an Apache repo for the Solr Operator.

I think the ship has sailed on the Solr Operator being an Apache project
instead of some committer's pet project.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 4:47 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <

Re: Requesting a new GH repository for CrossDC modules [ In reply to ]
David, this is about the Cross DC work that was supposed to be done :-)

The independent release cadence is primarily the reason why a new repo
makes sense to me in this case.

--
Anshum Gupta
Re: Requesting a new GH repository for CrossDC modules [ In reply to ]
(palm-to-face) -- LOL okay sorry. I'm getting my threads crossed.

A repo which holds multiple independent modules that can work with Solr
need not release them all at once.

Re: Requesting a new GH repository for CrossDC modules [ In reply to ]
I'm seeing valid reasons to prefer one solr sandbox repo, or prefer
multiple many repos for future plugins or integrations. In this specific
case, I think the relevant deciding points are 1) we don't have multiple
things yet, so deciding between a "mono-repo" and a "multi-repo" is not
very consequential 2) we can always rename things later 3) in the absence
of a strong reason otherwise i'll defer to the people doing the work (in
this case, Anshum). We considered sandbox and can always create one in the
future. If Anshum feels that solr-cross-dc is better for now than I'm fine
with that too.

Re: Requesting a new GH repository for CrossDC modules [ In reply to ]
Thank you everyone!

I'll move forward with the cross-dc repo creation then as mentioned in the
original email :)

If we want to change the approach on the repo, we can always change that
before we release anything in the future.

--
Anshum Gupta
Re: Requesting a new GH repository for CrossDC modules [ In reply to ]
Look at the branches that are cluttering up our main repository, many
symbolic of unfinished work. If we start one repo each for everything we
hope to finish, we'll make Solr annoying in a new way.

There is no reason multiple artifacts can't be released independently from
the same repo. Why are you opposed to that idea, Anshum?

Re: Requesting a new GH repository for CrossDC modules [ In reply to ]
I understand what you are saying, which is also my reason to not have a
mono-repo. This way it's easier to manage and drop a repository when it's
not needed. It doesn't cause clutter and lives in isolation.

I think we are on the same page in terms of the intention.

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 10:51 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <

--
Anshum Gupta
Re: Requesting a new GH repository for CrossDC modules [ In reply to ]
I feel this is placing the cart before the horse.

We can always build this as a branch or a repo under your own account.
Once we reach a point where the project is reasonably mature, you can
create a repo and contribute it upstream.

Re: Requesting a new GH repository for CrossDC modules [ In reply to ]
Building this as a branch is an option, but building it outside in a
personal repo is exactly what's not the Apache Way.

Code should be designed and built in the Apache world, else it'd be a
grant/donation and not really a PR. Also, you can't create a PR against a
repo that doesn't exist upstream.

Do you have an objection against a mono-repo i.e. solr-sandbox too? That
would open the door for us to use this for similar purposes in the future,
until the code is ready to be released.

Also, just to reiterate, creating a repo doesn't cost anything and we
aren't releasing anything. This is a placeholder to put the code in. If it
works out well, we can release it or iterate on the code/implementation. In
any case, it would have zero impact on the project itself.

-Anshum

Anshum Gupta
Re: Requesting a new GH repository for CrossDC modules [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 13 Jan, 2021, 6:00 am Anshum Gupta, <anshum@anshumgupta.net> wrote:

> Building this as a branch is an option, but building it outside in a
> personal repo is exactly what's not the Apache Way.

Negative. Nothing of that is mentioned in
https://www.apache.org/theapacheway/. Private decision making isn't
allowed, but discussions happening around code in an Apache communication
channels (say ASF GitHub over a PR from a privately owned public
repository) definitely seems The Apache Way.

> Code should be designed and built in the Apache world, else it'd be a
> grant/donation and not really a PR.

An ICLA is just sufficient for that, a grant of copyright license of all
code written by you to the ASF. You already filed the ICLA when you became
a committer.

Also, you can't create a PR against a repo that doesn't exist upstream.

You should create the PR against an existing branch and demonstrate that
the code is at least functioning and we can consider a separate repository
at that point.

David's blobstore work is an example of this. Jason's incremental backup
work another example (base code is in lucene-solr repo of lucidworks' fork
as a PR by Shalin). Both know such code may or may not continue to reside
in lucene-solr repo, but are working on building consensus and building a
working prototype first, not discussing the release cycle and the final
location of the code.

> Do you have an objection against a mono-repo i.e. solr-sandbox too? That
> would open the door for us to use this for similar purposes in the future,
> until the code is ready to be released.
>
> Also, just to reiterate, creating a repo doesn't cost anything and we
> aren't releasing anything.

It costs the headache of dealing with stubborn actors who may oppose
deletion of the repo if it is decided that it is not the right solution.
Just look at deprecation of original CDCR from Solr as an example, where
you and some others came across as a shining stars of such opposition,
despite knowing it was deeply broken and not offering any help to fix it.

This is a placeholder to put the code in. If it works out well, we can
> release it or iterate on the code/implementation. In any case, it would
> have zero impact on the project itself.

I disagree on zero impact to project. It causes reputational damage if not
done properly, and in your case here, the work hasn't even started yet.

Re: Requesting a new GH repository for CrossDC modules [ In reply to ]
I'm +1 for a top level sandbox repo. Anyone should be able create a
project in that.

Once the project graduates out of the sandbox we should create a top level

Re: Requesting a new GH repository for CrossDC modules [ In reply to ]
Based on the discussion on the committer meeting, I'll put in a request to
create a solr sandbox repo.

Thank you everyone.

--
Anshum Gupta
Re: Requesting a new GH repository for CrossDC modules [ In reply to ]
Thanks Anshum. I believe this will help everyone who wish to play with
other innovative ideas