I noticed that we’re getting tickets like SOLR-14938 opened that are all about the future of DIH. I know some of my own clients are asking about it as well. I suspect we will get more and more of these!

I wonder if there are any ideas/suggestions on how to better communicate that DIH isn’t going away, and indeed, it’s moving to a better place (I hope!). Do we want to add to the UI a message about “join the new community at https://github.com/rohitbemax/dataimporthandler”?

Having said that, I see issues opening at https://github.com/rohitbemax/dataimporthandler and not being closed, so I do have some concerns that a supportive community may not actually be forming.

Eric

_______________________
Eric Pugh | Founder & CEO | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com <http://www.opensourceconnections.com/> | My Free/Busy <http://tinyurl.com/eric-cal>
Co-Author: Apache Solr Enterprise Search Server, 3rd Ed <https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/apache-solr-enterprise-search-server-third-edition-raw>
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of whether attachments are marked as such.
Re: Communicating the future of DIH? [ In reply to ]
There’s always issues opened in every product that aren’t being closed.
Everyone who knows it or cares about it should be pitching in.

Marcus

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 12:21 Eric Pugh <epugh@opensourceconnections.com>
wrote:

> I noticed that we’re getting tickets like SOLR-14938 opened that are all
> about the future of DIH. I know some of my own clients are asking about it
> as well. I suspect we will get more and more of these!
>
> I wonder if there are any ideas/suggestions on how to better communicate
> that DIH isn’t going away, and indeed, it’s moving to a better place (I
> hope!). Do we want to add to the UI a message about “join the new
> community at https://github.com/rohitbemax/dataimporthandler”?
>
> Having said that, I see issues opening at
> https://github.com/rohitbemax/dataimporthandler and not being closed, so
> I do have some concerns that a supportive community may not actually be
> forming.
>

> Eric
>
> _______________________
> *Eric Pugh **| *Founder & CEO | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467
> | http://www.opensourceconnections.com | My Free/Busy
> <http://tinyurl.com/eric-cal>
> Co-Author: Apache Solr Enterprise Search Server, 3rd Ed
> <https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/apache-solr-enterprise-search-server-third-edition-raw>
> This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be
> Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless
> of whether attachments are marked as such.
>
> --
Marcus Eagan
Re: Communicating the future of DIH? [ In reply to ]
Some of those issues are opened by me, not beause I plan to be a DIH maintainer myself, but I was hoping that Rohit had some real interest in forming a comunity.
Turns out that the plugin is as good as dead on arrival, which is really disappointing.

We as the donator could perhaps help by sending an email, with a reminder that DIH is being deprecated and that the new plugin really needs more maintainers.
That’s why I filed https://github.com/rohitbemax/dataimporthandler/issues/12 <https://github.com/rohitbemax/dataimporthandler/issues/12>, else people arriving to the page would not even know how to contribute or become a committer.
I could whip up a PR for the README inviting contributors, but I’m honestly not so sure that newcomers would feel welcome, as their contributions would likely attract no attention :(

So I wonder if instead someone (Ishan?) should setup a new GitHub organization, migrate the project there, and add Rohit and others as maintainers. That lifts the burden off one man's shoulders.

Jan

Re: Communicating the future of DIH? [ In reply to ]
I'm glad you're raising this because I've been meaning get more visibility
on a proposal I made in JIRA:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-12987?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=17203524#comment-17203524
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-12987?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=17203524#comment-17203524>Pertinent
part:

> This is a great example of the problem because I'd rather we not log a
> warning about the DIH being deprecated – it is being *moved*. The
> deprecation notion is *sometimes* only useful for those maintaining Solr
> itself (us committers). Maybe we could just remove the annotation and only
> use the javadoc @deprecatedtag for plugins we know are *moving*?

Obviously this doesn't address most of Eric's point, but I think it would
be helpful in avoiding undue concern amongst our users.
Looking at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/Deprecations it
appears we're moving 3 plugins. (1) DIH, (2) Velocity: a javadoc
@deprecated tag could be added to VelocityResponseWriter (currently doesn't
have an annotations), and (3) HDFS: HdfsDirectoryFactory could get
a @deprecated tag and remove the @Deprecated annotation.

Cool?

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Re: Communicating the future of DIH? [ In reply to ]
BTW I think a consultant/consuntancy would do good business in taking
ownership of DIH. Loads of people use it and some will come looking to pay
for help! Heck, even a user of my tiny HTTP Proxy Servlet
https://github.com/mitre/HTTP-Proxy-Servlet/ inquired about paid support!
If I was still a freelancer, I think I would jump at this opportunity.

Re: Communicating the future of DIH? [ In reply to ]
I updated the Ref Guide for 8.7 to include a link to the plugin repo (for all plugins which have an established repo, not just DIH), hoping that would help answer user questions and spur adoption. That’s just a super-minor thing, but it’s something.

If Rohit doesn’t have time to be a maintainer now and no one else wants to be, would a separate GitHub org help that? I understand the motivation for sharing the burden…I guess you’re thinking that single org would allow people to be maintainers on multiple plugins?

Draft for 8.7 Guide is here if interested to see what I did: https://nightlies.apache.org/Lucene/Solr-reference-guide-8.x/uploading-structured-data-store-data-with-the-data-import-handler.html

Re: Communicating the future of DIH? [ In reply to ]
Thanks Cassandra. I read it. IMO, I think the word "Deprecated" is just
too misleading for plugins that are *moving*.

Re: Communicating the future of DIH? [ In reply to ]
I think that the fact that this code is no longer under the Apache umbrella
will lead to such issues and moving this into a different GitHub org
wouldn't really help with the problem that's been highlighted. Also, the
maintainers of a plugin should be people who understand and monitor the
project and if those rights are opened up, it'd be hard to maintain
reliability of the plugin.

Thanks for updating the Ref Guide, Cassandra :) In line with my suggestion
above, I think we need to be clear with the messaging of the fact that the
code no longer is owned and maintained by the Apache Lucene/Solr community
and any vulnerability or bug reported in the 3rd party packages wouldn't be
the responsibility of the Apache Lucene community.

--
Anshum Gupta
Re: Communicating the future of DIH? [ In reply to ]
Our messages crossed, but I read yours after I sent mine and I think I agree with you. I hear “deprecated” and think “it’s going away someday” but I keep getting questions from people (even inside Lucidworks) who are panicking like it’s gone in 8.6.3 already.

Speaking more generally, though, in some cases, though, we don’t know if it's moving - there is no maintainer yet. Until the repo exists and has some semblance of organization (a README, etc.), I think it’s very misleading to say something will exist somewhere else when it may not. HDFS is an example of this. The Deprecations page at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/Deprecations says “Community package efforts underway”, but as far as I can see that’s just a link to a Jira issue where some discussion happened back in July. There is no repo at all yet. The plugin may or may not ever arrive.

Re: Communicating the future of DIH? [ In reply to ]
Hey everyone,

Solr could keep some plugins with separate git repositories under the
Apache umbrella if it adapts the Apache Commons model
<http://commons.apache.org/>where plugins can have their own release
schedule and community without the risk of being abandoned completely
without notice. There is a process to get into Apache Commons via the
sandbox <http://commons.apache.org/sandbox.html> and to end development in
dormant <http://commons.apache.org/dormant.html>.
I know this solution would still add the load of vulnerabilities and
releases to the Apache Solr project, but components/plugins could have a
level of separation while keeping the trust in ASF behind the plugins.
Also, if a vulnerability surfaces for a particular plugin/component not the
whole Solr release would be marked as affected.
I'm not saying we should do this with DataImportHandler, but I think. it
worth considering for other plugins.

I'm not sure if this was discussed before, I've tried to search the
archives without any luck.
gp

Re: Communicating the future of DIH? [ In reply to ]
Thanks Gezapeti for recommending that model. It makes sense to me
conceptually... yet it seems burdensome, at least to set it up (website,
lists, repos, misc.) and get us familiar with a new way of working. I have
nothing but questions about how they operate. As it is, we haven't even
done our TLP split yet, which is maybe a little embarrassing as a PMC
member. I wonder if other ASF projects do anything similar for their
plugins? I'd guess Maven or Ant might be similar.

Re: Communicating the future of DIH? [ In reply to ]
I'm not that close with Apache Commons either, but I think the
solr-operator is a perfect candidate to figure out how things should work.
I'd be happy to do some exploration and reach out to other projects about
their experience in this matter.
gp

Re: Communicating the future of DIH? [ In reply to ]
I'm somewhat unclear - is the suggestion to submit projects to Apache
Commons repositories or to do a similar process with our own multiple
repositories.

Re: Communicating the future of DIH? [ In reply to ]
No submitting subprojects to Apache Commons, just looking at their rules so
the Apache Solr project can govern the subprojects in a similar matter. :)