Hello everyone.

So I was trying to locally test the small https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-11167 change on master branch and encountered two things:

Question: What is the replacement for "cd solr ; ant dist server" usage?

If there is an equivalent -- "./gradlew -p solr assembleDist" perhaps? -- then I'd be happy to update https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/master/help/ant.txt with the info.

Observation: "cd solr ; bin/solr start -e techproducts" on master branch (but not branch_8x) gives me an error. Is this a known issue already or if not could someone try to reproduce the issue before a JIRA ticket is opened?

ERROR: Error CREATEing SolrCore 'techproducts': Unable to create core [techproducts] Caused by: [schema.xml] analyzer/tokenizer: missing mandatory attribute 'class'

Thanks,

Christine
Re: bin/solr testing surprise with techproducts example [ In reply to ]
The wiki has steps to build solr with gradle
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/Building+Solr+with+Gradle

./gradlew assemble or ./gradlew dev will create runnable solr instance.

Re: bin/solr testing surprise with techproducts example [ In reply to ]
I couldn't reproduce your error on running techproducts. Though
whatever is causing it locally for you sounds a bit related to
SOLR-13690 maybe?

Jason

Re: bin/solr testing surprise with techproducts example [ In reply to ]
Christine:

Quite possibly you had some remnants of an ant build hanging around from bin/solr. If I start with a fresh clone and try to start from bin/solr I usually get no class def errors.

git clean -dxf if my friend to be absolutely sure that I have nothing laying around when switching back and forth between 8x and master, although others have suggested that git “worktree” is a much better alternative that I haven’t explored yet. I’m sure it is, because for one thing “git clean -dxf” removes any IDE files too...

The correct place to run solr from should be under “…/master/solr/packaging/build”, the “dev” and “assemble” targets will go into different directories. “assemble” will wipe out anything that used to be, the “dev” won’t, which will preserve directories, indexes and the like. Definitely preferable for code change iterations.

Finally, there was a helpful message telling you where the artifacts were that got lost, it’ll get put back sometime. See SOLR-14888

Best,
Erick

Re: bin/solr testing surprise with techproducts example [ In reply to ]
I run ./gradlew -p solr/packaging assemble . I think that shows when
you do ./gradlew helpWorkflow (one of many help commands added for our
projects). And it will be in solr/packaging/build/solr-9.0.0-SNAPSHOT

I need to experiment more with ./gradlew dev command, if it does not
do full wipe out, that could be useful.

I also use "git worktree" as I have maybe 4 Jiras worked on in the
same timeframe, plus I want to compare to baseline master build when I
screw things up. Apparently, IntelliJ Idea terminal will even remember
open locations in the project file, so the worktrees help to reopen
everything in issue-appropriate directories (still learning to take
advantage of that).

Regards,
Alex.

Re: bin/solr testing surprise with techproducts example [ In reply to ]
Thank you Munendra, Jason, Erick and Alex for the pointers and extra context!

The techproducts example is once again running fine for me locally now then. :)

From: dev@lucene.apache.org At: 09/24/20 16:02:27To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: bin/solr testing surprise with techproducts example

Re: bin/solr testing surprise with techproducts example [ In reply to ]
: Question: What is the replacement for "cd solr ; ant dist server" usage?

AFAICT the the most straightwoard "adaptation" of...

$ cd solr && ant server && bin/solr -e SOMETHING

...seems to be (using gdub) ...

$ cd solr && gw dev && ./packaging/build/dev/bin/solr -e SOMETHING

...which i think using straight gradlew would be...

$ ./gradlew -p solr dev && solr/packaging/build/dev/bin/solr -e SOMETHING

...and i'm all in favor of adding that to to one of the help files if i'm
not hte only one that finds that patten incredibly common when trying to
do little mini tests.

:
: ERROR: Error CREATEing SolrCore 'techproducts': Unable to create core
: [techproducts] Caused by: [schema.xml] analyzer/tokenizer: missing
: mandatory attribute 'class'

FWIW, that has bitten me several times, and IIUC it's because i'm
switching back and forth from 8x to master w/o doing full "git clean", and
when the muscle memory types "bin/solr" instead of
"packaging/build/dev/bin/solr" it's running old 8x compiled/build solr
against the master example configs.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: bin/solr testing surprise with techproducts example [ In reply to ]
See: SOLR-14888