Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: 8.6.3 Release [ In reply to ]
The traditional (non-docker) part of the release should now be wrapped
up. Thanks everyone for the help and answering my questions here and
in Slack. One final question:

The final releaseWizard.py step instructs:

"The Solr WIKI has a page for every version which is often linked to
from WIKI pages to indicate differences between versions, example:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Solr4.3. Do the following: Update the page
for the released version with release date and link to release
statement. Create a new placeholder page for the "next" version, if it
does not exist"

But looking at our wiki, the latest of these pages is 8.2
(https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/Solr8.2). I've
created the pages as instructed for now. But if we're not following
this step regularly and it hasn't caused any issues maybe we should
remove it from the release process altogether?

Jason

Re: 8.6.3 Release [ In reply to ]
Small correction: I see now some pages for 8.4 and 8.6 in a different
section of the wiki tree. But the overall point still stands I think
- this hasn't been done consistently and it doesn't seem like that's
caused any problems (as the pages are all stubs anyways).

Re: 8.6.3 Release [ In reply to ]
We discussed this before and agreed that could be removed. I made a patch to remove it but my editor always removes trailing whitespace and Jan doesn’t want that for some reason and I haven’t had time to go back to it. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9434.

Re: 8.6.3 Release [ In reply to ]
It was not my intention to hold up LUCENE-9434, I was worried that it could affect formatting.
That should be easy to verify though, so feel free to continue with the patch!

Jan

Re: 8.6.3 Release [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the pointer Cassandra and clarification Jan. I'll tidy the
patch and look to commit if there's no additional complications.

Re: 8.6.3 Release [ In reply to ]
Jason: This is the first time I recall seeing release note pages in
Confluence with a "DRAFT-" prefix. And I also see that Atri has follow-ed
suit (following your lead, no doubt) for 8.6. Why? Looking at the page
navigation, it's clearly an oddity -- a change. And it's still DRAFT
despite it being released.

Re: 8.6.3 Release [ In reply to ]
I added it since it looked a safe way to indicate that the draft notes
are in progress and should not be referred to in case somebody is
surfing the release notes.

Atri

Re: 8.6.3 Release [ In reply to ]
That’s a fair thing to consider, but does it really matter if someone looks at the draft notes pre-release? What would be the harm if users happen across them before they’re done?

(And to David’s point, it’s not in the RM steps to fix the page name after release, so it’s pretty easy to forget to do it.)

Re: 8.6.3 Release [ In reply to ]
Fair point -- I have changed accordingly.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 7:09 PM Cassandra Targett <casstargett@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>

> ~ David Smiley
>

> Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
>

> http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley
>

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 10:07 AM Jason Gerlowski <gerlowskija@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi all,
>

> I ran into a query-parsing bug recently in SOLR-14859 that caused
>

> problems for some of my usecases. I wanted to volunteer as RM for an
>

> 8.6.3 to get a bugfix release out for users that aren't ready for some
>

> of the bigger changes in 8.7
>

> I was thinking of cutting the branch in a week's time to give others a
>

> chance to backport any bug-fixes they might want included, with an RC
>

> to follow shortly. Does anyone have any concerns with that plan, or
>

> have anything they'd like to fix or backport before an 8.6.3 goes out?

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6.3 Release [ In reply to ]
I added that "DRAFT-" prefix mostly for the reason Atri mentioned: to
indicate that the page was a WIP. I thought it might also have the
side benefit of catching the eye of any committers who had Confluence
open and a few minutes to review the content. The page still has
"DRAFT-" because, as Cassandra suspected, I forgot to update it once
the release was finished. Fixing now.

Re: 8.6.3 Release [ In reply to ]
On the topic - is there a particular reason behind the convention of
having the page titles be named without spaces or periods? As is they
look more like Java classnames than page titles. e.g.
"ReleaseNote852" vs "Release Notes: 8.5.2" vs. "8.5.2 Release Notes"

Re: 8.6.3 Release [ In reply to ]
I guess some convention due to MoinMoin?

Re: 8.6.3 Release [ In reply to ]
I don't think the status of any page should be in the name of the page --
it breaks links when it changes. The status can be at the top of the
content.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley