Mailing List Archive

Code Analysis during CI?
Hello Lucene/Solr folks,

During Lucene development CI is used for build and unit tests to gate
merges. The CI doesn't yet include any analysis tools though, but their
use has been discussed [1]. I fixed some issues flagged by Facebook's
Infer and was prompted to bring up the topic here [2].

The recent PR fixed some low-hanging fruit that was reported when I ran
Muse [3] - a github app that is a platform for static analysis tools.
Muse's platform bundles the most useful analysis tools, all open source
with many of them developed by FANG, and triggers analysis on PRs
then delivers results as comments.

Because of the PR-centric workflow you only see issues related to the
changes in the pull request. This means that even a project where tools
give a daunting list of issues can still have quiet day-to-day operation.
Muse also has options to configure individual tools and turn tools or
warnings off entirely. If there are concerns in addition to noise and
added mental tax on development then I'd really like to hear those thoughts.

Would you be up for running Muse on the lucene-solr repo? Let me know, and
I hope to hear your thoughts on analysis tools either way.

-Tom

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/LUCENE/issues/LUCENE-8847
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SOLR/issues/SOLR-14819
[3] Muse result on Lucene:
https://console.muse.dev/result/TomMD/lucene-solr/01EH5WXS6C1RH1NFYHP6ATXTZ9?tab=results
Muse app link: https://github.com/apps/muse-dev
[4] https://github.com/TomMD/lucene-solr/pulls
[5] Example of muse commenting on an issue
https://github.com/TomMD/shiro/pull/2
Re: Code Analysis during CI? [ In reply to ]
Thanks Tom. I think this could be very useful as long as it can be
configurable. (The "terms of use here[1] link to "google.com", so I
couldn't check that, but they claim it's free for public repos, so...). We
could always try it and remove it if we don't like it? What do others think?

[1] https://github.com/apps/muse-dev

Re: Code Analysis during CI? [ In reply to ]
Tomás,
Oof, thanks for the note on TOS. I fixed the link. The tool can be
configured and I'm happy to make things work better for your use case.
Muse is free for public repos and will remain free for open source
indefinitely. You can try it and remove it any time - github is in charge
of access control and provides you as the repository owner with control via
the website.

Re: Code Analysis during CI? [ In reply to ]
Sounds great to me! I'm really glad to hear it works with the PR workflow,
and only on the files touched in the PR.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Re: Code Analysis during CI? [ In reply to ]
+1 for analysis within the PR workflow.

Re: Code Analysis during CI? [ In reply to ]
ApacheCon is apparently running Muse-based CodeBash. Are we part of that?

Regards,
Alex.

Re: Code Analysis during CI? [ In reply to ]
Alex,
Yes Lucene is part of that. I merely forgot the lucene email after having
put this project aside so I could make a custom email given our ongoing
conversation. I'll send it now.

-Tom