Does someone have any thoughts, concerns or objections?
Regards,
Ishan
Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
There are a lot of blockers for 8.7. It's good to plan in advance

Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
@Atri Sharma <atri@linux.com>

Atri, I just remembered you wanted to volunteer for the release. If you're
still interested, please let me know. I can shadow you and help you during
the release in that case.

Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
+1

I am happy to take it up.

On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 at 14:56, Ishan Chattopadhyaya <
ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com> wrote:

> @Atri Sharma <atri@linux.com>
>
> Atri, I just remembered you wanted to volunteer for the release. If you're
> still interested, please let me know. I can shadow you and help you during
> the release in that case.
>
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 2:43 PM Noble Paul <noble.paul@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There are a lot of blockers for 8.7. It's good to plan in advance
>>

>> On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 7:11 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
>>

>> <ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > Hi devs,
>>

>> > A lot of changes are now in 8.7 or in-flight. I'd like to volunteer for
>> a 8.7 release in around a month from now (cutting the release branch around
>> 20 September) and RC shortly after. I feel this timeline will give all of
>> us ample time to wrap up the release blockers, other changes and
>> improvements.
>>

>> > Does someone have any thoughts, concerns or objections?
>>

>> > Regards,
>>

>> > Ishan
>>

>> --

>> Noble Paul

Atri
Apache Concerted
Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
Noble, I'm curious what blockers you have in mind. I just checked JIRA, and
while I see a number of 9.0 blockers, I'm not counting many 8.7 blockers?

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 11:13 AM Noble Paul <noble.paul@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are a lot of blockers for 8.7. It's good to plan in advance
>
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 7:11 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
> <ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi devs,
> > A lot of changes are now in 8.7 or in-flight. I'd like to volunteer for
> a 8.7 release in around a month from now (cutting the release branch around
> 20 September) and RC shortly after. I feel this timeline will give all of
> us ample time to wrap up the release blockers, other changes and
> improvements.
> >
> > Does someone have any thoughts, concerns or objections?
> > Regards,
> > Ishan

Adrien
Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
Hi Adrien,
I think I am mainly concerned about getting the configuration and
modularity of this right before we release:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14588.
If we aren't able to resolve it, we should revert that feature.

There may be some other performance issues that may have been marked as
blockers just to infuse a sense of urgency among those that need to fix it.
But, I wouldn't consider them something that actually holds up a release.
Regards,
Ishan

Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the explanation Ishan.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 10:33 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <

--
Adrien
Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
Also, we should try to respect the stuff we have put on the roadmap (Which
includes me getting a patch up for SIP-9 much sooner rather than even a
little later!)

--
http://www.needhamsoftware.com (work)
http://www.the111shift.com (play)
Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
With a view towards including it in the release, I'd appreciate input on the

solrj logging tweak if anyone has a moment?

Thanks,
Christine

From: dev@lucene.apache.org At: 08/20/20 22:48:39To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: 8.7 Release

Also, we should try to respect the stuff we have put on the roadmap (Which includes me getting a patch up for SIP-9 much sooner rather than even a little later!)
If we aren't able to resolve it, we should revert that feature.

There may be some other performance issues that may have been marked as blockers just to infuse a sense of urgency among those that need to fix it. But, I wouldn't consider them something that actually holds up a release.
Regards,
Ishan

Noble, I'm curious what blockers you have in mind. I just checked JIRA, and while I see a number of 9.0 blockers, I'm not counting many 8.7 blockers?
On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 11:13 AM Noble Paul <noble.paul@gmail.com> wrote:

There are a lot of blockers for 8.7. It's good to plan in advance

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 7:11 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
<ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi devs,
> A lot of changes are now in 8.7 or in-flight. I'd like to volunteer for a 8.7 release in around a month from now (cutting the release branch around 20 September) and RC shortly after. I feel this timeline will give all of us ample time to wrap up the release blockers, other changes and improvements.
>
> Does someone have any thoughts, concerns or objections?
> Regards,
> Ishan

Adrien

--
Adrien

Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
Unless there are objections, I'm gonna get https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14799 into 8.7 as well.

Erik

Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
Unless it somehow got lost in a spam filter somewhere, I don't think we
have set a target date for the release yet? (roadmap says autumn 2020 which
technically doesn't begin until the solstice on the 21st :) )

Hoping that I might still get the Advanced Query parser in first, but
that's a much bigger prospect than these two tickets.

-Gus

Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
I was planning to start the process end of this month.

Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
Atri,

Just so I understand your plans, when you say you are planning to start the process at the end of this month, you mean you intend to create the branch around Oct 1? No pressure, I ask only because Ishan’s original mail mentioned cutting the branch this week and I just wanted to have a clearer sense of your timeline.

Thanks,
Cassandra

Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
I plan to cut the branch on 30th September.

On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 at 00:51, Cassandra Targett <casstargett@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Atri,
>

> Just so I understand your plans, when you say you are planning to start
> the process at the end of this month, you mean you intend to create the
> branch around Oct 1? No pressure, I ask only because Ishan’s original mail
> mentioned cutting the branch this week and I just wanted to have a clearer
> sense of your timeline.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Cassandra
>

> On Sep 15, 2020, 11:53 PM -0500, Atri Sharma <atri@apache.org>, wrote:
>

> I was planning to start the process end of this month.
>

> On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 at 04:07, Gus Heck <gus.heck@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Unless it somehow got lost in a spam filter somewhere, I don't think we
>> have set a target date for the release yet? (roadmap says autumn 2020 which
>> technically doesn't begin until the solstice on the 21st :) )
>>

>> Hoping that I might still get the Advanced Query parser in first, but
>> that's a much bigger prospect than these two tickets.
>>

>> -Gus
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 5:29 PM Erik Hatcher <erik.hatcher@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Unless there are objections, I'm gonna get
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14799 into 8.7 as well.
>>>

>>> Erik
>>>

>>> On Sep 14, 2020, at 10:06 AM, Christine Poerschke (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) <
>>> cpoerschke@bloomberg.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> With a view towards including it in the release, I'd appreciate input on
>>> the
>>>

>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14828
>>>

>>> solrj logging tweak if anyone has a moment?
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> Christine
>>>

>>> From: dev@lucene.apache.org At: 08/20/20 22:48:39
>>>

>>> To: dev@lucene.apache.org
>>>

>>> Subject: Re: 8.7 Release
>>>

>>> Also, we should try to respect the stuff we have put on the roadmap
>>> (Which includes me getting a patch up for SIP-9 much sooner rather than
>>> even a little later!)

>>> --
>>>

>>> http://www.needhamsoftware.com (work)
>>>

>>> http://www.the111shift.com (play)

>> --
>>

>> http://www.needhamsoftware.com (work)
>>

>> http://www.the111shift.com (play)

> --
>

> Regards,
>

> Atri
>

> Apache Concerted

Atri
Apache Concerted
Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
Shall we move forward with 8.7 now that 8.6.3 is out?

--
Adrien
Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
Adrien, I plan on merging SOLR-14907
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14907> to master and 8x
tomorrow. If you would mind waiting to cut 8.7 until then, I would
appreciate it.

- Houston

Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
Adrien,

Sorry for the delay in response.

I will cut the branch this Friday morning (IST).

Atri

Atri
Apache Concerted
Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
Thanks Atri. Do you know when you will start the first build candidate as
well? We had been doing some planning around Ishan's initial suggestion of
cutting the branch on September 20th, so as this is getting delayed I'm
trying to get a sense of whether the release would likely be out in the
next two weeks.

--
Adrien
Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
I will start the first build candidate on upcoming Monday. This is my
first release so fingers crossed :)

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 7:01 PM Adrien Grand <jpountz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Atri. Do you know when you will start the first build candidate as well? We had been doing some planning around Ishan's initial suggestion of cutting the branch on September 20th, so as this is getting delayed I'm trying to get a sense of whether the release would likely be out in the next two weeks.
>
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 12:10 PM Atri Sharma <atri@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Adrien,
>>
>> Sorry for the delay in response.
>>
>> I will cut the branch this Friday morning (IST).
>>
>> Atri
>>
>> On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 at 05:43, Houston Putman <houstonputman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Adrien, I plan on merging SOLR-14907 to master and 8x tomorrow. If you would mind waiting to cut 8.7 until then, I would appreciate it.
>>>
>>> - Houston

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Atri
>> Apache Concerted
>

> --
> Adrien

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
This sounds good to me, thank you!

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 6:06 PM Atri Sharma <atri@apache.org> wrote:

> I will start the first build candidate on upcoming Monday. This is my
> first release so fingers crossed :)
>
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 7:01 PM Adrien Grand <jpountz@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Atri. Do you know when you will start the first build candidate
> as well? We had been doing some planning around Ishan's initial suggestion
> of cutting the branch on September 20th, so as this is getting delayed I'm
> trying to get a sense of whether the release would likely be out in the
> next two weeks.
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 12:10 PM Atri Sharma <atri@apache.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Adrien,
> >>
> >> Sorry for the delay in response.
> >>
> >> I will cut the branch this Friday morning (IST).
> >>
> >> Atri

> would mind waiting to cut 8.7 until then, I would appreciate it.

> start the process at the end of this month, you mean you intend to create
> the branch around Oct 1? No pressure, I ask only because Ishan’s original
> mail mentioned cutting the branch this week and I just wanted to have a
> clearer sense of your timeline.

> think we have set a target date for the release yet? (roadmap says autumn
> 2020 which technically doesn't begin until the solstice on the 21st :) )

> but that's a much bigger prospect than these two tickets.

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14799 into 8.7 as well.

> input on the

> roadmap (Which includes me getting a patch up for SIP-9 much sooner rather
> than even a little later!)

> and modularity of this right before we release:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14588.

> marked as blockers just to infuse a sense of urgency among those that need
> to fix it. But, I wouldn't consider them something that actually holds up a
> release.

> checked JIRA, and while I see a number of 9.0 blockers, I'm not counting
> many 8.7 blockers?

> advance

> volunteer for a 8.7 release in around a month from now (cutting the release
> branch around 20 September) and RC shortly after. I feel this timeline will
> give all of us ample time to wrap up the release blockers, other changes
> and improvements.

> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Atri
> >> Apache Concerted
> >

> > --
> > Adrien
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Atri
> Apache Concerted

Adrien
Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
As the branch has been cut, I deleted 8.6 jobs and created 8.7 jobs on the
ASF Jenkins: https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Lucene/.

--
Adrien
Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
BTW on branch_8x, I see that "ant precommit" fails:

-documentation-lint:
[jtidy] Checking for broken html (such as invalid tags)...
[delete] Deleting directory
/Users/dsmiley/DevSearch/lucene-solr_8x/lucene/build/jtidy_tmp
[echo] Checking for broken links...
[exec]
[exec] Crawl/parse...
[exec]
[exec] Verify...
[echo] Checking for malformed docs...
[exec]
[exec]
/Users/dsmiley/DevSearch/lucene-solr_8x/solr/build/docs/solr-core/overview-summary.html
[exec] missing description: org.apache.solr.util.circuitbreaker
[exec]
[exec] Missing javadocs were found!

That package is missing a "package-info.java". It's been this way for a
while... I wonder why it hasn't been noticed by others yet?

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
Surprisingly it doesn’t fail for me? Local caching?

Regards,

Atri
Apache Concerted
Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
I don't know. I searched for "missing description:
org.apache.solr.util.circuitbreaker" in my email (covering our builds), and
this started happening October 16th (2 days ago) on 8.x (not master).

Re: 8.7 Release [ In reply to ]
Let me take a look tomorrow morning — must be something I broke in the
cherry pick.