Are there any thoughts/concerns regarding this?
Regards,
Ishan
Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
+1

Question about the change. Since this patch added a default autoscaling
policy, if users upgrade to 8.6 and then 8.6.1, does the default
autoscaling policy stay once they have upgraded? If so we probably want to
include instructions in the release notes on how to fix this issue once
upgrading.

- Houston

Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
+1

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 11:23 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
<ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> There was a performance regression identified in 8.6.0 release due to SOLR-12845. I think it is serious enough to warrant an immediate bug fix release.
>
> I propose a 8.6.1 release. Unfortunately, I'll be unable to volunteer for this release owning to some other commitments, however Andrzej mentioned in Slack that he might be able to volunteer for this post 27th.
>
> Are there any thoughts/concerns regarding this?
> Regards,
> Ishan

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
Should we not revert the change so that users upgrading from 8.6 to
8.6.1 get the earlier default policy?

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:09 PM Houston Putman <houstonputman@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> Question about the change. Since this patch added a default autoscaling policy, if users upgrade to 8.6 and then 8.6.1, does the default autoscaling policy stay once they have upgraded? If so we probably want to include instructions in the release notes on how to fix this issue once upgrading.
>
> - Houston
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 1:53 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> There was a performance regression identified in 8.6.0 release due to SOLR-12845. I think it is serious enough to warrant an immediate bug fix release.
>>
>> I propose a 8.6.1 release. Unfortunately, I'll be unable to volunteer for this release owning to some other commitments, however Andrzej mentioned in Slack that he might be able to volunteer for this post 27th.
>>
>> Are there any thoughts/concerns regarding this?
>> Regards,
>> Ishan

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
I didn't look at the issue, but if it is due to a default inefficient
policy, instead of a new release (that as Houston points out will not even
solve the issue), can't we communicate a workaround, namely a way to reset
the default policy to some other value after 8.6 deploy that would make the
problem disappear?

But maybe the issue is more than config?

Ilan

Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
Communicating a workaround may or may not reach everybody affected — unless
we plan to publish it on every channel.

Whereas a release is much more visible and an obvious way to mitigate the
issue.

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 at 21:40, Ilan Ginzburg <ilansolr@gmail.com> wrote:

> I didn't look at the issue, but if it is due to a default inefficient
> policy, instead of a new release (that as Houston points out will not even
> solve the issue), can't we communicate a workaround, namely a way to reset
> the default policy to some other value after 8.6 deploy that would make the
> problem disappear?
>
> But maybe the issue is more than config?
>
> Ilan
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 5:46 PM Houston Putman <houstonputman@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> Question about the change. Since this patch added a default autoscaling
>> policy, if users upgrade to 8.6 and then 8.6.1, does the default
>> autoscaling policy stay once they have upgraded? If so we probably want to
>> include instructions in the release notes on how to fix this issue once
>> upgrading.
>>
>> - Houston
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 1:53 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <
>> ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> There was a performance regression identified in 8.6.0 release due to
>>> SOLR-12845. I think it is serious enough to warrant an immediate bug fix
>>> release.
>>>
>>> I propose a 8.6.1 release. Unfortunately, I'll be unable to volunteer
>>> for this release owning to some other commitments, however Andrzej
>>> mentioned in Slack that he might be able to volunteer for this post 27th.
>>>
>>> Are there any thoughts/concerns regarding this?
>>> Regards,
>>> Ishan
>>>
>> --
Regards,

Atri
Apache Concerted
Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
Ignore this, I misread your email.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:11 PM Atri Sharma <atri@apache.org> wrote:

> Should we not revert the change so that users upgrading from 8.6 to
> 8.6.1 get the earlier default policy?
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:09 PM Houston Putman <houstonputman@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > +1
> >
> > Question about the change. Since this patch added a default autoscaling policy, if users upgrade to 8.6 and then 8.6.1, does the default autoscaling policy stay once they have upgraded? If so we probably want to include instructions in the release notes on how to fix this issue once upgrading.
> >
> > - Houston
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 1:53 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >> There was a performance regression identified in 8.6.0 release due to SOLR-12845. I think it is serious enough to warrant an immediate bug fix release.
> >>
> >> I propose a 8.6.1 release. Unfortunately, I'll be unable to volunteer for this release owning to some other commitments, however Andrzej mentioned in Slack that he might be able to volunteer for this post 27th.
> >>
> >> Are there any thoughts/concerns regarding this?
> >> Regards,
> >> Ishan
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Atri
> Apache Concerted

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
If we agree that this warrants a patch release, I volunteer to do the
release.

I do think a patch release is reasonable even if users have to take an
action when upgrading from 8.6.0. I imagine most users haven't upgraded to
8.6.0 yet, so if we make the patch now we will make life easier for
everyone that upgrades between now and when 8.7 is released.

Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
Thanks Houston!

Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
+1 for the release. Having a hotfix release that fixes regression is a
great option for users who plan to be on 8.6.x.

Thanks Houston and Ishan!

Anshum Gupta
Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
+1, thanks Houston.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 10:51 PM Houston Putman <houstonputman@gmail.com> wrote:

> If we agree that this warrants a patch release, I volunteer to do the release.
>
> I do think a patch release is reasonable even if users have to take an action when upgrading from 8.6.0. I imagine most users haven't upgraded to 8.6.0 yet, so if we make the patch now we will make life easier for everyone that upgrades between now and when 8.7 is released.
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 12:50 PM Atri Sharma <atri@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Ignore this, I misread your email.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:11 PM Atri Sharma <atri@apache.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > Should we not revert the change so that users upgrading from 8.6 to

>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Atri
>> > Apache Concerted
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Atri
>> Apache Concerted

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
Shouldn't we add a note right away to 8.6 notifying of the issue?

Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
Absolutely, Ilan! Good idea. I initially hesitated in doing so because
Andrzej had a workaround in mind for them, so I thought it would be better
if he did this. But, it makes sense to inform them of the issue right away
anyway.

Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
So it looks like we all agree that 8.6.1 should be cut to fix this issue.

Unless there's any alternatives proposed, early next week I'm going to push
my branch_8_6 that has the offending commits reverted and some additional
documentation on reverting the defaulted autoscaling policy from 8.6.0.

Then I'll start the release process for 8.6.1.

Please speak up if there is any disagreement.

- Houston

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 4:40 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <

Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
> does the default autoscaling policy stay once they have upgraded?

Looking at
https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/commit/8e0eae2/#diff-de88ca16848af57d2474e04e26ea462cR90
, it seems like just upgrading to Solr 8.6.1 will be enough.

Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
Oh that's great. I thought it might be defaulting it in the autoscaling
zookeeper node. Thanks for correcting me!

If that is all that is needed then I'll probably just add something to the
release notes mentioning why the upgrade is necessary.

Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
I realized after I went looking for it in the new docs that I didn't
actually push the doc changes for MOVEREPLICA to 8x (had intended to verify
that nothing differed in 8x before pushing). Doing that now, and suspect
that we probably want to include it for 8.6.1

http://www.needhamsoftware.com (work)
http://www.the111shift.com (play)
Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
Yeah, push it to branch_8_6. I have to document the upgrade notes for the
autoscaling stuff anyways.

Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
8x docs not building smoothly on my laptop... (without changes)
troubleshooting, checking deps listed in README.adoc, etc.

Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
Doc changes are in. Still having trouble with that one link in 8x but just
fixed it locally and made sure not to push that change.

Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
Added upgrade notes for the autoscaling stuff.

Will begin the release process tomorrow when my GPG Keys will be refreshed
in all of the apache systems.

- Houston

Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
Came back from holiday and fixed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14671
Can we include it in 8.6.1?

Jan

Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
Can we include SOLR-11611 for 8.6.1? The patch should be simple to test out
(with someone having a Windows machine and VM) and seems like a good one to
fix.
I marked it as a 8.6.1 bug, but please feel free to unmark it (or I can do
so, if you tell me to) if you feel otherwise.

Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
Both of those look good to include!

Ill keep an eye out for when they get resolved.

- Houston

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 9:16 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <

Re: 8.6.1 Release [ In reply to ]
Ishan suggested I also supply the slight clarification to ref guide build
docs to 8_6 https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/1704 if you want to
include it.

1 2  View All