Mailing List Archive

1 2 3  View All
Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
-1

--
Sent from: https://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Lucene-Java-Developer-f564358.html

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1

Otis
--
http://sematext.com

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding) for Solr to become TLP (and for separating the two projects from
each other)

Regards,
Doron

--
Sent from: https://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Lucene-Java-Developer-f564358.html

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 1:07 PM Dawid Weiss <dawid.weiss@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Lucene and Solr developers!
>
> According to an earlier [DISCUSS] thread on the dev list [2], I am
> calling for a vote on the proposal to make Solr a top-level Apache
> project (TLP) and separate Lucene and Solr development into two
> independent entities.
>
> To quickly recap the reasons and consequences of such a move: it seems
> like the reasons for the initial merge of Lucene and Solr, around 10
> years ago, have been achieved. Both projects are in good shape and
> exhibit signs of independence already (mailing lists, committers,
> patch flow). There are many technical considerations that would make
> development much easier if we move Solr out into its own TLP.
>
> We discussed this issue [2] and both PMC members and committers had a
> chance to review all the pros and cons and express their views. The
> discussion showed that there are clearly different opinions on the
> matter - some people are in favor, some are neutral, others are
> against or not seeing the point of additional labor. Realistically, I
> don't think reaching 100% level consensus is going to be possible --
> we are a diverse bunch with different opinions and personalities. I
> firmly believe this is the right direction hence the decision to put
> it under the voting process. Should something take a wrong turn in the
> future (as some folks worry it may), all blame is on me.
>
> Therefore, the proposal is to separate Solr from under Lucene TLP, and
> make it a TLP on its own. The initial structure of the new PMC,
> committer base, git repositories and other managerial aspects can be
> worked out during the process if the decision passes.
>
> Please indicate one of the following (see [1] for guidelines):
>
> [ ] +1 - yes, I vote for the proposal
> [ ] -1 - no, I vote against the proposal
>
> Please note that anyone in the Lucene+Solr community is invited to
> express their opinion, though only Lucene+Solr committers cast binding
> votes (indicate non-binding votes in your reply, please).
>
> The vote will be active for a week to give everyone a chance to read
> and cast a vote.
>
> Dawid
>
> [1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
> [2]
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rfae2440264f6f874e91545b2030c98e7b7e3854ddf090f7747d338df%40%3Cdev.lucene.apache.org%3E

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.
Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
For the reasons I included in my message on the discussion thread (
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-dev/202005.mbox/%3CCAPsCRSWds%3Dctvf837BFRXqyPxGLJ-5a%2B3hCa6HwrA8FFR5MQkA%40mail.gmail.com%3E)
I'm voting in favor of this. I hope the actual execution of it will follow
the path of a code/release split for a few versions before a more permanent
project split, but if not I think the benefits of a split will still be
seen, although perhaps down a bumpier road.

+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
I am closing this vote, thank you for participating.

46 votes have been posted: 35 from PMC members, 8 from committers and
3 from user community.

From this total 8 people voted -1 and 38 people voted +1. Vote
distribution among PMC members (binding votes):

[+1]: 31
[-1]: 4

The vote has passed. I will follow-up on the process from here on in a
separate email.

Dawid

All collected votes in a spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZmR3C2EgA57QIeJJ3ejKCTUkHdG1lqPOU29heqybkKs/edit?usp=sharing

And in plain text:

+1

PMC Ishan Chattopadhyaya (ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com)
PMC Doron Cohen (cdoronc@gmail.com)
PMC Shai Erera (serera@gmail.com)
PMC Ryan Ernst (ryan@iernst.net)
COMMITTER Jim Ferenczi (jim.ferenczi@gmail.com)
PMC Otis Gospodnetic (otis.gospodnetic@gmail.com)
PMC Dennis Gove (dpgove@gmail.com)
PMC Adrien Grand (jpountz@gmail.com)
PMC Martijn v Groningen (martijn.v.groningen@gmail.com)
PMC Mark Harwood (mharwood@apache.org)
PMC Erik Hatcher (erik.hatcher@gmail.com)
PMC Shawn Heisey (apache@elyograg.org)
PMC Jan Høydahl (jan.asf@cominvent.com)
COMMITTER Namgyu Kim (kng0828@gmail.com)
PMC Nicholas Knize (nknize@gmail.com)
PMC Shalin Shekhar Mangar (shalinmangar@gmail.com)
PMC Michael McCandless (lucene@mikemccandless.com)
PMC Christian Moen (cm@atilika.com)
-- Gora Mohanty (gora@mimirtech.com)
PMC Robert Muir (rcmuir@gmail.com)
PMC Nhat Nguyen (nhat.nguyen@elastic.co.invalid)
PMC Kevin Risden (krisden@apache.org)
PMC Steven A Rowe (sarowe@gmail.com)
PMC Uwe Schindler (uwe@thetaphi.de)
PMC Koji Sekiguchi (koji.sekiguchi@rondhuit.com)
COMMITTER Atri Sharma (atri@apache.org)
-- Lucky Sharma (goku0910@gmail.com)
PMC David Smiley (david.w.smiley@gmail.com)
COMMITTER Michael Sokolov (msokolov@gmail.com)
PMC Tommaso Teofili (tommaso.teofili@gmail.com)
PMC Varun Thacker (varun@vthacker.in)
COMMITTER Tomoko Uchida (tomoko.uchida.1111@gmail.com)
PMC Andi Vajda (osaf@ovaltofu.org)
PMC Ignacio Vera (iverase@gmail.com)
PMC Dawid Weiss (dawid.weiss@gmail.com)
PMC Simon Willnauer (simon.willnauer@gmail.com)
PMC Alan Woodward (romseygeek@gmail.com)
PMC Karl Wright (daddywri@gmail.com)

-1

PMC Joel Bernstein (joelsolr@gmail.com)
COMMITTER Mike Drob (mdrob@apache.org)
PMC Jason Gerlowski (gerlowskija@gmail.com)
PMC Anshum Gupta (anshum@anshumgupta.net)
COMMITTER Gus Heck (gus.heck@gmail.com)
COMMITTER Chris Hostetter (hossman_lucene@fucit.org)
PMC Tomás Fernández Löbbe (tomasflobbe@gmail.com)
-- Kevin Watters (kwatters@kmwllc.com)

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
Correction - Jim is a PMC member (apologies, Jim; you may want to
update [1]). This means the results are updated to:

Vote distribution among PMC members (binding votes):

[+1]: 32
[-1]: 4

D.

[1] https://lucene.apache.org/whoweare.html

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
Dawid,

The vote began on May 12th and the initial message said it will "be active
for a week to give everyone a chance to read
and cast a vote".

The vote should remain open until at least May 19th.

- Dennis

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (committer)

Regards,
Alex.

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
> The vote began on May 12th and the initial message said it will "be active for a week to give everyone a chance to read
> and cast a vote".

I thought I'd sent it on Monday, which would make a week today. Time
zones will also kick in because I live in Europe... I can wait a day
more - not a problem.

D.

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
Sure, I'd considered timezones before responding. The archive permalink for
the original message shows a date of "Tue, 12 May 2020 07:36:57 GMT".

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-dev/202005.mbox/%3CCAM21Rt-PjpVYKsThzAKJbbPT3OeuVdgnVSZ3E_QEoWfpLNd0%3DQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
It is now Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 8:46 AM GMT.

A re-spin of the vote closing/ summary.

48 votes have been posted: 37 from PMC members, 8 from committers and
3 from user community.

From this total 8 people voted -1 and 40 people voted +1. Vote
distribution among PMC members (binding votes):

[+1]: 33
[-1]: 4

The vote has passed.

COMMITTER Alexandre Rafalovitch (arafalov@gmail.com)
PMC Andrzej Bia?ecki (ab@getopt.org)

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
Hi All,

When do these projects separate into their own TLP's? What is the timeline?
Or is there documentation on the process of splitting an existing project
into two separate projects?

Best,

Marcus

Marcus Eagan
Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
Just catching up after a couple of weeks away here; phew there is lots
going on!

Re splitting the projects, there has been some project reorganization
(we created a new TLP in Apache), but no real change yet. I think the
idea is to get the software separated, and then people will follow
their hearts/interests. For tracking the software re-org, we have this
issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14497