Mailing List Archive

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Solr 8.6.0 released
The Lucene PMC is pleased to announce the release of Apache Solr 8.6.0.

Solr is the popular, blazing fast, open source NoSQL search platform from
the Apache Lucene project. Its major features include powerful full-text
search, hit highlighting, faceted search, dynamic clustering, database
integration, rich document handling, and geospatial search. Solr is highly
scalable, providing fault tolerant distributed search and indexing, and
powers the search and navigation features of many of the world's largest
internet sites.

Solr 8.6.0 is available for immediate download at:

<https://lucene.apache.org/solr/downloads.html>

### Solr 8.6.0 Release Highlights:

* Cross-Collection Join Queries: Join queries can now work
cross-collection, even when shared or when spanning nodes.

* Search: Performance improvement for some types of queries when exact hit
count isn't needed by using BlockMax WAND algorithm.

* Streaming Expression: Percentiles and standard deviation aggregations
added to stats, facet and time series. Streaming expressions added to
/export handler. Drill Streaming Expression for efficient and accurate
high cardinality aggregation.

* Package manager: Support for cluster (CoreContainer) level plugins.

* Health Check: HealthCheckHandler can now require that all cores are
healthy before returning OK.

* Zookeeper read API: A read API at /api/cluster/zk/* to fetch raw ZK data
and view contents of a ZK directory.

* Admin UI: New panel with security info in admin UI's dashboard.

* Query DSL: Support for {param:ref} and {bool: {excludeTags:""}}

* Ref Guide: Major redesign of Solr's documentation.

Please read CHANGES.txt for a full list of new features and changes:

<https://lucene.apache.org/solr/8_6_0/changes/Changes.html>

Solr 8.6.0 also includes features, optimizations and bugfixes in the
corresponding Apache Lucene release:

<https://lucene.apache.org/core/8_6_0/changes/Changes.html>

Note: The Apache Software Foundation uses an extensive mirroring network for

distributing releases. It is possible that the mirror you are using may not
have

replicated the release yet. If that is the case, please try another mirror.

This also applies to Maven access.
Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Solr 8.6.0 released [ In reply to ]
Dear Solr Users,

In this release (Solr 8.6), we have deprecated the following:

1. Data Import Handler

2. HDFS support

3. Cross Data Center Replication (CDCR)

All of these are scheduled to be removed in a future 9.x release.

It was decided that these components did not meet the standards of quality
and support that we wish to ensure for all components we ship. Some of
these also relied on design patterns that we no longer recommend for use in
critical production environments.

If you rely on these features, you are encouraged to try out community
supported versions of these, where available [0]. Where such community
support is not available, we encourage you to participate in the migration
of these components into community supported packages and help continue the
development. We envision that using packages for these components via
package manager will actually make it easier for users to use such features.

Regards,

Ishan Chattopadhyaya

(On behalf of the Apache Lucene/Solr PMC)

[0] -
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/Community+supported+packages+for+Solr

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Solr 8.6.0 released [ In reply to ]
Thanks Aroop for your feedback. We shall try to ensure continuity of
functionality via packages. Your help in those efforts would be greatly
appreciated as well. Let us take this discussion to SOLR-14660.

> Is there a replacement for DIH?
DIH is available as a community supported package. However, it is an
anti-pattern for a search engine to be pulling data from outside. Instead,
please consider writing separate indexing programs that pull data from the
database systems and index into Solr. It is not only a good practice, but
also more efficient in terms of throughput. For more information on this,
please start another thread in solr-users@ list, and more people can
suggest best alternatives here.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Solr 8.6.0 released [ In reply to ]
For any further discussion on the deprecations, please find a thread
"Recent and upcoming deprecations" [0] and we can discuss there.
Thanks,
Ishan

[0] -
https://www.mail-archive.com/solr-user@lucene.apache.org/msg151762.html

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Solr 8.6.0 released [ In reply to ]
matthew,
In the future too, it's still going to be
"curl solr:8983/collection/dataimport?blah"

It's just that, you will have to run 2 or 3 extra commands for once
before you run that curl command

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 3:50 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya

Noble Paul