Take an extensive list (A) of strings of unique words (these are titles - anywhere from 4 words to 30) saved in either an Excel worksheet or in a text file and search for instances (B) where these can be found in PDF files saved on a hard drive (over 100k files). The search would need to be done using a fuzzy logic rather than exact matching and the output would be in an Excel file list the unique string found (A), the file name in which the match was made (B), the page number where the match was made and the surrounding text on either side of As well, would this be a complicated program, usable by novices coached in the process necessary to input the title file (A) and direct the search to the relevant folder containing the PDF files (B).

I eagerly await (hopefully) an affirmative answer.

Cheers!
Re: Feasability [ In reply to ]
The answer is yes, but you would need to do some programming and
configuring.

--

*Xavier Morera*

Entrepreneur | Author & Trainer | Consultant | Developer & Scrum Master

*www.xaviermorera.com <http://www.xaviermorera.com/>*

office: (305) 600-4919

cel: +506 8849-8866

skype: xmorera
Twitter <https://twitter.com/xmorera> | LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/xmorera> | Pluralsight Author
<http://www.pluralsight.com/author/xavier-morera>
Re: Feasability [ In reply to ]
Thank you for responding. So, theoretically, I would need to hire someone with Apache programing experience to do this correct (given that I know nothing about programing)? What type of experience should I look for?

________________________________

--

*Xavier Morera*

Entrepreneur | Author & Trainer | Consultant | Developer & Scrum Master

*www.xaviermorera.com <http://www.xaviermorera.com/>*
[https://i2.wp.com/www.xaviermorera.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/xavier-morera.jpg?resize=150%2C150]<http://www.xaviermorera.com/>

Xavier Morera<http://www.xaviermorera.com/>
www.xaviermorera.com
I have been working with Solr for a while, mainly from the .NET world and I basically love it. I use SolrNet which I think it is a very mature and stable library.

office: (305) 600-4919

cel: +506 8849-8866

skype: xmorera
Twitter <https://twitter.com/xmorera> | LinkedIn
[https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/464050157344940033/7AA_lsgC_400x400.jpeg]<https://twitter.com/xmorera>

xmorera (@xmorera) | Twitter<https://twitter.com/xmorera>
twitter.com
The latest Tweets from xmorera (@xmorera). Eternal optimist, entrepreneur, lifelong learner, passionate about technology. Costa Rica

<https://www.linkedin.com/in/xmorera> | Pluralsight Author
[https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/shrinknp_200_200/p/5/005/07f/033/28fdf8e.jpg]<https://www.linkedin.com/in/xmorera>

Xavier Morera | LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/in/xmorera>
www.linkedin.com
Xavier Morera is an entrepreneur, project manager, Pluralsight author, speaker, trainer, Certified Scrum Master & Professional and Certified Microsoft professional ...

<http://www.pluralsight.com/author/xavier-morera>
Xavier Morera - .Net Author | Pluralsight<http://www.pluralsight.com/author/xavier-morera>
www.pluralsight.com
Xavier is an entrepreneur, project manager, technical author, trainer, Certified Scrum Professional & Scrum Master, and Certified Microsoft Professional.
Re: Feasability [ In reply to ]
Someone with a good experience in programming and a good knowledge of Lucene and IR.

best,
reda

Re: Feasability [ In reply to ]
Yes, you need someone I would say with Solr and some sort of development skills.

Xavier

Sent from a small attention grabbing screen

Re: Feasability [ In reply to ]
Hi,

You have several options:

1. Try and recruit someone with existing Solr skills (hard, there is a
skills shortage certainly in the UK and I suspect worldwide, good Solr
people are rare and expensive)
2. Try and recruit someone with good enterprise Java skills, hopefully some
interest in search and Solr, and train them up (slightly easier but a
longer timescale, there are various organisations providing Solr
training/mentoring including my own)
3. Engage a consultancy like us with pre-existing experience in Solr
development to build what you need (much quicker but obviously there's a
cost)
4. Buy a 'packaged' Solr-based search engine such as Fusion from our
partner Lucidworks which will save a lot of time/effort developing
something (very quick but also an initial and ongoing subscription cost).

Hope this helps!

Charlie
Flax
www.flax.co.uk

Re: Feasability [ In reply to ]
Someone like this maybe?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeremybranham

;)

Sent from my Sprint Phone.

Re: Feasability [ In reply to ]
I have two courses and a book on Solr, aimed for getting started. If you
watch the first part of both of them you could get a better idea of what
needs to be done. They are in Pluralsight:

Getting Started with Enterprise Search Using Apache Solr
<https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/enterprise-search-using-apache-solr>

Implementing Search in .NET Applications
<https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/implementing-search-dotnet-applications>

Re: Feasability [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 12:33 PM, Chris Manu <chrismanu90@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for responding. So, theoretically, I would need to hire someone
> with Apache programing experience to do this correct (given that I know
> nothing about programing)? What type of experience should I look for?

Chris,

In addition to the Solr recommendation that you are hearing (which is a
fine one), you should expand your search to include Elasticsearch.
Elasticsearch is based on Apache software, but is not itself an Apache
project for the overall system.

What you describe (pulling words from one place, finding them in another)
is very doable with Apache software.

In addition to the search function, you should look at the PdfBox project
for extracting data from PDF files. The Apache POI project has software
that will help you get data from excel files.
Re: Feasability [ In reply to ]
I would recommend to use Apache Tika if you need to extract text from files
of different types. Going to PdfBox or POI is required if you need to dig
into internals of these file formats, but if you only need text, then Tika
will be easier choice...

On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 4:01 AM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 12:33 PM, Chris Manu <chrismanu90@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Thank you for responding. So, theoretically, I would need to hire someone
> > with Apache programing experience to do this correct (given that I know
> > nothing about programing)? What type of experience should I look for?
> >

> Chris,
>
> In addition to the Solr recommendation that you are hearing (which is a
> fine one), you should expand your search to include Elasticsearch.
> Elasticsearch is based on Apache software, but is not itself an Apache
> project for the overall system.
>
> What you describe (pulling words from one place, finding them in another)
> is very doable with Apache software.
>
> In addition to the search function, you should look at the PdfBox project
> for extracting data from PDF files. The Apache POI project has software
> that will help you get data from excel files.

--
With best wishes, Alex Ott
http://alexott.net/