have a list of project ideas for students to consider, which got me
wondering:

Are there any "medium" sized Lucene projects that a single
College/HighSchool student (working alone) could probably
complete in a two month time frame?

Details...

http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html

-Hoss
Re: Google's Summer of Code [ In reply to ]
Chris Hostetter wrote:
> Google announced today their "Summer of Code" To provide stipends for
> Students who successfully impliment OSS projects during the summer. All
> projects must be contributions to a "mentoring" organization, and the ASF
> is already on the list.
>
> For some reason, ASF is the only participating organization that doesn't
> have a list of project ideas for students to consider, which got me
> wondering:
>
> Are there any "medium" sized Lucene projects that a single
> College/HighSchool student (working alone) could probably
> complete in a two month time frame?
>
> Details...
>
> http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html

The Lucene4c project could certainly come up with at least one or two
things to work on. Off the top of my head, I'd love a tool written to
automate some of the code generation for the glue between C and Java,
there's a lot of boilerplate stuff that could pretty easily be
generated. Our unit tests could also stand a lot of work, and there's a
lot of work that could be done on extending the amount of the Java API
we cover.

-garrett
Re: Google's Summer of Code [ In reply to ]
There is a wiki page for ideas:

http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2005