http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2016/04/05/panama-papers-amazon-encryption-epic-leak

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
uschindler@apache.org
ASF Member, Apache Lucene PMC / Committer
Bremen, Germany
http://lucene.apache.org/
Re: Apache Solr and Tika used to index Panama Papers [ In reply to ]
😀 awesome

Re: Apache Solr and Tika used to index Panama Papers [ In reply to ]
This isn't the first time a global news organisation has used Solr to
index leaked data, unsurprisingly - for creating something fast &
quietly, open source is a natural choice.

Charlie

On 06/04/2016 13:57, David Smiley wrote:
> 😀 awesome
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 4:45 AM Uwe Schindler <uschindler@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just wanted to repost the following by Chris Mattman on the TIKA list:
>>
>> If you have been following the news you’ve seen the Panama papers and how
>> the world’s rich and elite have been storing all their money offshore to
>> hide it. Two of the ASF’s key technologies were used in uncovering that
>> story and showing the world what was going on: Apache Tika and Apache Solr.
>>
>> Solr was used for making the Terabytes of Panama Papers available to
>> journalists. The preprocessing of the documents for indexing was done with
>> Tika (maybe through the contrib/extraction module).
>>
>> Here is the article by Forbes about that:
>>
>> http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2016/04/05/panama-papers-amazon-encryption-epic-leak
>>
>> Uwe
>>
>> -----
>> Uwe Schindler
>> uschindler@apache.org
>> ASF Member, Apache Lucene PMC / Committer
>> Bremen, Germany
>> http://lucene.apache.org/

>> --
> LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley | Book:

Charlie Hull
Flax - Open Source Enterprise Search

tel/fax: +44 (0)8700 118334
mobile: +44 (0)7767 825828
web: www.flax.co.uk
Re: Apache Solr and Tika used to index Panama Papers [ In reply to ]
Also of note, Blacklight was used for the Solr-based UI - http://projectblacklight.org

And another link about the data analysis process - https://ijnet.org/en/blog/how-icij-pulled-large-scale-cross-border-investigative-collaboration

"Layered on top was the shiny interface, built using Blacklight, another open source development."

Re: Apache Solr and Tika used to index Panama Papers [ In reply to ]
congrats to apache solr team

roshan

--

Roshan Agarwal
Director sales
Re: Apache Solr and Tika used to index Panama Papers [ In reply to ]
Hmmm... I seem to have missed it, but remind me where the link is for
public access? I mean, if this is all open source, it should be available
to me, right?

-- Jack Krupansky

Re: Apache Solr and Tika used to index Panama Papers [ In reply to ]
It is not necessary that open source is available to you. open source mean
that code is open to client. Now it is on Client how he provide it or sell
it . If client further sells it he or she shall also open the code.
Hope you got it
Roshan

Re: Apache Solr and Tika used to index Panama Papers [ In reply to ]
in my opinion,
it is the "nature" of open source to be open to erverybody who is
interested in it
and use it and / or modify it under the respective GPL

Klaus

Mail-Anhang - Dementies

/D e m e n t i e s/

stellen die Basis

in der Politik ...

(Klaus Ramelow 2015)
Re: Apache Solr and Tika used to index Panama Papers [ In reply to ]
Open source is jUST code to be opened. What right you have you will
transfer those right to your client.
Roshan

Re: Apache Solr and Tika used to index Panama Papers [ In reply to ]
LOL...

"WikiLeaks criticizes lack of access to Panama Papers"
"Whistleblowing group WikiLeaks criticized the International Consortium of
Investigative Journalists' decision not to allow open access to documents
that show how wealthy people have links to offshore financial services. "If
you censor more than 99% of the documents you are engaged in 1% journalism
by definition," WikiLeaks said in a tweet Wednesday."
See:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/04/07/wikileaks-criticizes-lack-access-panama-papers/82736064/

Interesting that I now find myself on Julian Assange's side of the fence!

-- Jack Krupansky

Re: Apache Solr and Tika used to index Panama Papers [ In reply to ]
GPL != license

The GPL is only one of many open source licenses.

Presumably you knew that and this was just a slip of the keystroke.