Mailing List Archive

Cluster for HA VM's serving our local network
Hi,

i was using this guide
https://alteeve.ca/w/2-Node_Red_Hat_KVM_Cluster_Tutorial_-_Archive to
set up my cluster for some services, all works pretty good.

I decided to use this cluster as a HA vm provider for my network.

I have a little, maybe silly, question.

The guide tells me to disable qemu default network, like this:

> Disable the 'qemu' Bridge
>
> By default, libvirtd <https://alteeve.ca/w/Libvirtd> creates a bridge
> called virbr0 designed to connect virtual machines to the first eth0
> interface. Our system will not need this, so we will remove it now.
>
> If libvirtd has started, skip to the next step. If you haven't started
> libvirtd yet, you can manually disable the bridge by blanking out the
> config file.
>
> cat /dev/null>/etc/libvirt/qemu/networks/default.xml
i skipped the step to create the bridge device, as it was not needed for
my belongings.

> vim /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-vbr2
> # Internet-Facing Network - Bridge
> DEVICE="vbr2"
> TYPE="Bridge"
> BOOTPROTO="static"
> IPADDR="10.255.0.1"
> NETMASK="255.255.0.0"
> GATEWAY="10.255.255.254"
> DNS1="8.8.8.8"
> DNS2="8.8.4.4"
> DEFROUTE="yes"

Now i want to know how to proceed?

i have bond0 - connected to my network (both nodes got different ip's
from my dhcp)
bond1 & bond2 are used for corosync and drbd.

what would be the best decision to have some vm's served from this
2-node cluster too?

thanks, and please tell me what infos i may have forgotten to provide
for you. :)

cheers

juergen

Re: Cluster for HA VM's serving our local network [ In reply to ]
Hi Juergen,

First; This list is deprecated and you should use the Cluster Labs -
Users list (which I've cc'ed here).

Second; That tutorial is quite old and was replaced a while ago with
this one: https://alteeve.ca/w/AN!Cluster_Tutorial_2. It has a lot of
improvements we made after having many systems out in the field, so it
is well worth re-doing your setup to match it. It's mostly the same, so
it shouldn't be a big job.

I'll address your comments in-line:

On 23/09/15 08:38 AM, J. Echter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i was using this guide
> https://alteeve.ca/w/2-Node_Red_Hat_KVM_Cluster_Tutorial_-_Archive to
> set up my cluster for some services, all works pretty good.
>
> I decided to use this cluster as a HA vm provider for my network.
>
> I have a little, maybe silly, question.
>
> The guide tells me to disable qemu default network, like this:
>

>> Disable the 'qemu' Bridge
>>
>> By default, libvirtd <https://alteeve.ca/w/Libvirtd> creates a bridge
>> called virbr0 designed to connect virtual machines to the first eth0
>> interface. Our system will not need this, so we will remove it now.
>>
>> If libvirtd has started, skip to the next step. If you haven't started
>> libvirtd yet, you can manually disable the bridge by blanking out the
>> config file.
>>
>> cat /dev/null>/etc/libvirt/qemu/networks/default.xml
> i skipped the step to create the bridge device, as it was not needed for
> my belongings.

OK.

>> vim /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-vbr2
>> # Internet-Facing Network - Bridge
>> DEVICE="vbr2"
>> TYPE="Bridge"
>> BOOTPROTO="static"
>> IPADDR="10.255.0.1"
>> NETMASK="255.255.0.0"
>> GATEWAY="10.255.255.254"
>> DNS1="8.8.8.8"
>> DNS2="8.8.4.4"
>> DEFROUTE="yes"
>

> Now i want to know how to proceed?
>
> i have bond0 - connected to my network (both nodes got different ip's
> from my dhcp)
> bond1 & bond2 are used for corosync and drbd.
>
> what would be the best decision to have some vm's served from this
> 2-node cluster too?

From a bridging perspective, the quoted example config above is good.
The default libvirtd bridge is a NAT'ed bridge, so your VMs would get
IPs in the 192.168.122.0/24 subnet, and the libvirtd bridge would route
them to the outside world. Using the bridge type in the tutorial though,
your VMs would appear to be directly on your network and would get (or
you would assign) IPs just the same as the rest of your system.

--
Digimer
access to education?
Re: Cluster for HA VM's serving our local network [ In reply to ]
Hi Digimer,

Am 23.09.2015 um 15:38 schrieb Digimer:
> Hi Juergen,
>
> First; This list is deprecated and you should use the Cluster Labs -
> Users list (which I've cc'ed here).

i already got that reminder as i sent my message, and i subscribed :)

> Second; That tutorial is quite old and was replaced a while ago with
> this one: https://alteeve.ca/w/AN!Cluster_Tutorial_2. It has a lot of
> improvements we made after having many systems out in the field, so it
> is well worth re-doing your setup to match it. It's mostly the same, so
> it shouldn't be a big job.

i'll have a look over the new one.

> I'll address your comments in-line:
>
> On 23/09/15 08:38 AM, J. Echter wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i was using this guide
>> https://alteeve.ca/w/2-Node_Red_Hat_KVM_Cluster_Tutorial_-_Archive to
>> set up my cluster for some services, all works pretty good.
>>
>> I decided to use this cluster as a HA vm provider for my network.
>>
>> I have a little, maybe silly, question.
>>
>> The guide tells me to disable qemu default network, like this:
>>
>>> Disable the 'qemu' Bridge
>>>
>>> By default, libvirtd <https://alteeve.ca/w/Libvirtd> creates a bridge
>>> called virbr0 designed to connect virtual machines to the first eth0
>>> interface. Our system will not need this, so we will remove it now.
>>>
>>> If libvirtd has started, skip to the next step. If you haven't started
>>> libvirtd yet, you can manually disable the bridge by blanking out the
>>> config file.
>>>
>>> cat /dev/null>/etc/libvirt/qemu/networks/default.xml
>> i skipped the step to create the bridge device, as it was not needed for
>> my belongings.
> OK.
>
>>> vim /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-vbr2
>>> # Internet-Facing Network - Bridge
>>> DEVICE="vbr2"
>>> TYPE="Bridge"
>>> BOOTPROTO="static"
>>> IPADDR="10.255.0.1"
>>> NETMASK="255.255.0.0"
>>> GATEWAY="10.255.255.254"
>>> DNS1="8.8.8.8"
>>> DNS2="8.8.4.4"
>>> DEFROUTE="yes"
>>
>> Now i want to know how to proceed?
>>
>> i have bond0 - connected to my network (both nodes got different ip's
>> from my dhcp)
>> bond1 & bond2 are used for corosync and drbd.
>>
>> what would be the best decision to have some vm's served from this
>> 2-node cluster too?
> From a bridging perspective, the quoted example config above is good.
> The default libvirtd bridge is a NAT'ed bridge, so your VMs would get
> IPs in the 192.168.122.0/24 subnet, and the libvirtd bridge would route
> them to the outside world. Using the bridge type in the tutorial though,
> your VMs would appear to be directly on your network and would get (or
> you would assign) IPs just the same as the rest of your system.

so i can just use this example on my setup?

bond0 = LAN = 192.168.0.0/24
bridge = 10.255.0.1

can i use my own dns server, working on the lan?

like this:

DEVICE="vbr2"
TYPE="Bridge"
BOOTPROTO="static"
IPADDR="10.255.0.1"
NETMASK="255.255.0.0"
GATEWAY="10.255.255.254"
DNS1="192.168.0.1"
DEFROUTE="yes"

>> thanks, and please tell me what infos i may have forgotten to provide
>> for you. :)
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> juergen
thanks for your support.