Mailing List Archive

RFC: Face-to-face meeting in October
Hi all,

we discussed the idea of meeting face to face this year, collocated with
the LinuxCon/Kernel Summit in Prague. I had a brief chat with the LF
folks, and it seems that Oct 25th would work nicely - that's the last
day of Kernel Summit, one day before LinuxCon, and we could share the
dinner party with the groups of both ;-)

My idea would be to solicit session proposals like a "regular"
mini-conference, and not just internal to this group - we should be able
to fit in 6-10 in a single track during one day, depending on the time.

The SAF/openSAF group has already expressed interest, for example, and
there may also be some key customer/partners that wish to discuss how
their CRM solution integrates with a crm cluster and get in touch.

The emphasis would definitely be on technical cooperation rather than
"one person speaks, everyone else listens" style.

Does the date work for everyone here? Any other feedback?

Regards,
Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA, OPS Engineering, Novell, Inc.

Re: RFC: Face-to-face meeting in October [ In reply to ]
On 07/20/2011 05:11 AM, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we discussed the idea of meeting face to face this year, collocated with
> the LinuxCon/Kernel Summit in Prague. I had a brief chat with the LF
> folks, and it seems that Oct 25th would work nicely - that's the last
> day of Kernel Summit, one day before LinuxCon, and we could share the
> dinner party with the groups of both ;-)
>
> My idea would be to solicit session proposals like a "regular"
> mini-conference, and not just internal to this group - we should be able
> to fit in 6-10 in a single track during one day, depending on the time.

That date would work for me. Will you be submitting the miniconf proposal?

Cheers,
Florian
Re: RFC: Face-to-face meeting in October [ In reply to ]
On 2011-07-20T07:05:42, Florian Haas <florian.haas@linbit.com> wrote:

> That date would work for me. Will you be submitting the miniconf proposal?

I already spoke with Amanda et al in Tokio, yes. Actually, there should
already be a site up, but apparently that didn't happen ... I'm waiting
for feedback.

Regards,
Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA, OPS Engineering, Novell, Inc.

Re: RFC: Face-to-face meeting in October [ In reply to ]
Unfortunately I suspect I wont be there for personal reasons.

Re: RFC: Face-to-face meeting in October [ In reply to ]
On 2011-07-21T10:06:19, Andrew Beekhof <andrew@beekhof.net> wrote:

> Unfortunately I suspect I wont be there for personal reasons.

:-( Good luck.

Any other opinions from the list members?

Regards,
Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA, OPS Engineering, Novell, Inc.

Re: RFC: Face-to-face meeting in October [ In reply to ]
On 07/22/2011 01:29 PM, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> On 2011-07-21T10:06:19, Andrew Beekhof <andrew@beekhof.net> wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately I suspect I wont be there for personal reasons.
>
> :-( Good luck.
>
> Any other opinions from the list members?

Hopefully I'll see you there :)

Fabio
Re: RFC: Face-to-face meeting in October [ In reply to ]
On 07/22/2011 02:48 PM, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
> On 07/22/2011 01:29 PM, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
>> On 2011-07-21T10:06:19, Andrew Beekhof <andrew@beekhof.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Unfortunately I suspect I wont be there for personal reasons.
>>
>> :-( Good luck.
>>
>> Any other opinions from the list members?
>
> Hopefully I'll see you there :)

Unfortunately I can't make it there as some personal stuff has just come
up that don't allow me to set any schedule this much upfront.

hope you guys can have some fun

Fabio
Re: RFC: Face-to-face meeting in October [ In reply to ]
On 2011-08-11T19:57:54, "Fabio M. Di Nitto" <fdinitto@redhat.com> wrote:

> > Hopefully I'll see you there :)
> Unfortunately I can't make it there as some personal stuff has just come
> up that don't allow me to set any schedule this much upfront.

That's really sad!

Just today, Angela has confirmed the room for good. (There was some
issue with getting it just that day.)

I wanted to send out an invite tomorrow then.

Will anyone from RHT be able to attend?

Regards,
Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA, OPS Engineering, Novell, Inc.

Re: RFC: Face-to-face meeting in October [ In reply to ]
On 08/11/2011 05:44 PM, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> On 2011-08-11T19:57:54, "Fabio M. Di Nitto" <fdinitto@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>>> Hopefully I'll see you there :)
>> Unfortunately I can't make it there as some personal stuff has just come
>> up that don't allow me to set any schedule this much upfront.
>
> That's really sad!
>
> Just today, Angela has confirmed the room for good. (There was some
> issue with getting it just that day.)
>
> I wanted to send out an invite tomorrow then.
>
> Will anyone from RHT be able to attend?
>

> Regards,
> Lars

If there is space, and if a relative outsider might be welcome, I am
currently planning on coming to LinuxCon, and would like to meet some
folks from the cluster community.

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer@alteeve.com
Re: RFC: Face-to-face meeting in October [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

I didn't get any positive responses so far - just more nacks. Florian
has a competing customer event, and in Vancouver, more folks approached
me and said that the schedule or the venue or their travel budget don't
line up.

Perhaps we need to cancel the event in October still. What are your
thoughts?

We could switch to a different format - perhaps doing a bi-weekly
community call where we take turns doing a short webinar on the current
work and collaboration opportunities of our current efforts?

That, at least, comes in cheaply on the travel budget side ;-)

Regards,
Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA, OPS Engineering, Novell, Inc.

Re: RFC: Face-to-face meeting in October [ In reply to ]
On 08/23/2011 08:38 AM, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I didn't get any positive responses so far - just more nacks. Florian
> has a competing customer event, and in Vancouver, more folks approached
> me and said that the schedule or the venue or their travel budget don't
> line up.
>
> Perhaps we need to cancel the event in October still. What are your
> thoughts?
>

> We could switch to a different format - perhaps doing a bi-weekly
> community call where we take turns doing a short webinar on the current
> work and collaboration opportunities of our current efforts?
>
> That, at least, comes in cheaply on the travel budget side ;-)
>

> Regards,
> Lars

This would remove geographic issue and probably result in better
turnout. Fedora (and others) do well with (semi) moderated IRC chats.
When useful, whoever was chatting could always direct people to webinars
from there.

Re: RFC: Face-to-face meeting in October [ In reply to ]
On 08/23/2011 02:38 PM, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

> We could switch to a different format - perhaps doing a bi-weekly
> community call where we take turns doing a short webinar on the current
> work and collaboration opportunities of our current efforts?
>
> That, at least, comes in cheaply on the travel budget side ;-)

I think this is a good idea and we should do it (we did try it in the
past but didn't really last long).

A few bits to agree upfront:

1) time rotation to allow people from different TZ to participate
2) format of the meeting
3) agenda

#1 there is no time of any specific day that can cover everybody. So we
need to sacrifice a bit here and there. I would recommend Mondays and as
for the time, one in the UTC morning and the next in UTC evening (exact
times TBD).

#2 is a bit more complex. IRC is a slow communication media to most
extents so I think it would be best to use a conference call system (I
can offer mine) and we can use IRC to copy/paste URLS/code and for low
priority noisy chit/chat.

#3 given that any meeting that last more than one hour is painfully
boring and tend to lose people attention on the way, I'd say to set a
fast paced agenda. We are heading into high development phase now (at
least on the RH side) to kill cman/rgmanager upstream, corosync 2.0 ..
etc. I'd say to do quick rounds of status updates (10/15 minutes) and
then proceed with other stuff like presentations or discuss a very
specific technical topic (that being an API or whatever).

Suggestions?

Fabio