Mailing List Archive

re: Name change for /etc/conf.modules
> modutils will be changed to use modules.conf instead of
> conf.modules.
Yay! That's always bugged me...
- Dan
--
(The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)
-
Re: Name change for /etc/conf.modules [ In reply to ]
In article <19991008015949.27427.qmail@mail.ocs.com.au> you write:
>Obviously this has to be a gradual changeover to allow users,
>distributions and other packages that refer to conf.modules to convert
>to the standard name.
Why? Renaming conf.modules to modules.conf ist trivial, so why make
so much effort (and code) about it?
I'd omit the following:
>Starting with modutils-2.3.4, it will :-
>
>(a) Try to read from modules.conf first. This is inconsistent with 2.2
> and earlier versions of 2.3 but it is consistent with modutils-2.1
> which is the only version on most distributions.
>
>(b) If modules.conf does not exist, read conf.modules. Issue a warning
> message recommending that it be renamed to modules.conf. modules
> will load.
>
>(c) If both files exist and conf.modules is not a hard link or symlink
> to modules.conf, issue a warning message that tells the user which
> file was read and recommends the removal of conf.modules. modules
> will load.
>
>(d) If neither file exists, use the builtin default list.
and do just this right now:
>Starting with modutils-2.5.0 (created when kernel 2.5 is released), it
>will :-
>
>(a) Only read from modules.conf.
>
>(b) If modules.conf does not exist but conf.modules does exist then
> issue an error message requiring that conf.modules be renamed to
> modules.conf. Modules will not load.
>
>(c) If both files exist, issue an error message requiring the user to
> put all the data in modules.conf and erase conf.modules. It does
> not matter if conf.modules is a link, it must be removed. Modules
> will not load.
>
>(d) If neither file exists, use the builtin default list.
Regards,
hjb
--
You feel strangely lucky...
http://hjb-net.de/ - Linux help and links
Re: Name change for /etc/conf.modules [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 8 Oct 99 21:44 MET DST,
hans@grumbeer.inka.de (Hans-Joachim Baader) wrote:
>In article <19991008015949.27427.qmail@mail.ocs.com.au> you write:
>
>>Obviously this has to be a gradual changeover to allow users,
>>distributions and other packages that refer to conf.modules to convert
>>to the standard name.
>
>Why? Renaming conf.modules to modules.conf ist trivial, so why make
>so much effort (and code) about it?
Because there are distributions out there with their own tools that
directly update conf.modules. Any name change has to leave time for
other code to get into sync. You do not break important tools without
first giving users plenty of warning. This is not Microsoft.
-
Re: Name change for /etc/conf.modules [ In reply to ]
Keith Owens wrote:

<snip>

> >Why? Renaming conf.modules to modules.conf ist trivial, so why make
> >so much effort (and code) about it?
>
> Because there are distributions out there with their own tools that
> directly update conf.modules. Any name change has to leave time for
> other code to get into sync. You do not break important tools without
> first giving users plenty of warning. <interrupted>
cd /etc; ln -s conf.moules modules.conf
> This is not Microsoft.

see?
Marc
--
Marc Mutz <Marc@Mutz.com> http://marc.mutz.com/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics
Re: Name change for /etc/conf.modules [ In reply to ]
In message <37FF3295.432663C6@Mutz.com>, Marc Mutz writes:
+-----
| Keith Owens wrote:
| <snip>
| > >Why? Renaming conf.modules to modules.conf ist trivial, so why make
| > >so much effort (and code) about it?
| >
| > Because there are distributions out there with their own tools that
| > directly update conf.modules. Any name change has to leave time for
| > other code to get into sync. You do not break important tools without
| > first giving users plenty of warning. <interrupted>
|
| cd /etc; ln -s conf.moules modules.conf
+--->8
And the first time you run (for example) Red Hat's sndconfig the symlink
will get replaced by a real file. Symlinks are not robust in the face of
backup-by-rename.
--
brandon s. allbery os/2,linux,solaris,perl allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator kthkrb,heimdal,gnome,rt allbery@ece.cmu.edu
Re: Name change for /etc/conf.modules [ In reply to ]
"Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" wrote:

<snip>
> | cd /etc; ln -s conf.moules modules.conf
> +--->8
>
> And the first time you run (for example) Red Hat's sndconfig the symlink
> will get replaced by a real file. Symlinks are not robust in the face of
> backup-by-rename.

<snip>
I fear I do not get the point. If a program knows only of conf.modules,
then it will modify that file and leave the symlink modules.conf
untouched. It will therefore still point to "conf.modules", being the
new version of the config file. So that is exactly what you want, isn't
it?
Marc
Re: Name change for /etc/conf.modules [ In reply to ]
In message <37FF854F.1C0A2210@Mutz.com>, Marc Mutz writes:
+-----
| I fear I do not get the point. If a program knows only of conf.modules,
| then it will modify that file and leave the symlink modules.conf
| untouched. It will therefore still point to "conf.modules", being the
| new version of the config file. So that is exactly what you want, isn't
| it?
+--->8
Read the link backwards. Sorry.
The same could still happen if some utilities are using one and other
utilities use the other, though; and the result would be real confusion.