Mailing List Archive

Fwd: Re: smbfs won't stay mounted, still
A coworker of mine is having the same problem. Like you, he has had it through
all of the 2.2.x kernels. He only has this problem with one particular NT WS.
I'm not sure how long it maintains a connection, but it seems that every 20
mins or so I hear some nasty language coming from that end of the office.
Oddly enough, I cannot connect to it at all with 2.2.12. It tells me 'access
denied', while I can mount from any other NT box on the same network. We both
use 2.0.5x, and we both (try) to connect to the d$ administrative share. Go
figure.
Matthew
On Thu, 02 Sep 1999, Matthew Vanecek wrote:
> Does anybody know why a smbfs mounted share won't stay mounted? Trying
> to access the share, I get:
>
> me2v:reliant src$ ls /mnt/winnt
> ls: /mnt/winnt: Input/output error
>
> The log says:
> Sep 2 12:44:54 reliant kernel: smb_retry: signal failed, error=-3
> Sep 2 12:44:54 reliant kernel: smb_retry: signal failed, error=-3
>
> and mount:
> me2v:reliant src$ mount -t smbfs
> //winnt/f$ on /mnt/winnt type smbfs (0)
>
> My current kernel is 2.2.12, and samba is 2.0.5a. I've had this problem
> since samba 2.0.3, and all the 2.2.x kernels. The other end is NT WS
> 4.0 sp5. Since the log entry is generated by the kernel, I posted here,
> in addition to the fact I can never get a reply to any message I send to
> the samba and samba-technical mailing lists....
>
> I have no idea if this is simply a password caching problem, or if the
> smb server isn't getting a strong enough keepalive request, or what. Is
> anyone else currently having similar problems?
>
> I know there are some scripts running around to make sure the SMB share
> is accessed on a regular basis, with a df > /dev/null or some such, but
> that workaround shouldn't really be necessary.
> --
> Matthew Vanecek
> Course of Study: http://www.unt.edu/bcis
> Visit my Website at http://people.unt.edu/~mev0003
> For answers type: perl -e 'print
> $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'
To segfault is human, to blue screen is moronic...
Matthew
matthew@mattshouse.com
http://www.mattshouse.com
--
To segfault is human, to blue screen is moronic...