From (no email) Thu Sep 2 09:55:26 1999 EST
Date: 02 Sep 1999 10:37:59 -0400
From: (no name) <(no email)>
To: linux-kernel@kernel.vger.org
Subject: Re: NFS under 2.2.12

> I also believe the reason for the current knfs/raid patch situation is cause
> integration has been held off for too long. Isn't it time to swallow the
> pill and just get it over with? (imo certainly for knfsd, maybe for RAID).
I whole heartily agree (for knfsd anyway, I don't use RAID): knfsd
has been vaguely unstable for as long as I can remember and even now
if someone asks me about NFS on Linux I can't tell them "sure, go ahead,
it works fine". It's just one big mess with various incompatible patches
floating around, noone knowing which patch subsumes which other and
which patch works with which utilities.
Compatibility is an issue once a service is stable, but right now, I
bet that most NFS users wouldn't care about upgrading their tools since
they already have to go through similar trouble just to get NFS to work
properly in a heterogenous environment.
It should be a priority to merge knfsd patches quickly in order to
eliminate this big ugly mess and finally get to a state where sysadmin
can use NFS with Linux without loosing their sleep.
Stefan
-
Re: Offtopic: Internet is 30 years old Today! [ In reply to ]
In article <cistron.Pine.BSF.3.96.990902103451.9379D-100000@hiway1.exit109.com>,
Michael Cunningham <malice@exit109.com> wrote:
>Just thought ya all might want to know,
>
>The Internet is 30 years old today!
>
>September 2nd is officially the 30th birthday of the Internet, being the
>day that the first packets were sent between the Sigma 7 mainframe that
>was the first internet node and its Honeywell based IMP (Internet Message
>Processor) at UCLA.
At what time? With the time difference etc, I wonder if I was born
_at that exact time_ even though it was a day later European time ;)
That would be extremely |<3\/\/|_
Mike.
--
... somehow I have a feeling the hurting hasn't even begun yet
-- Bill, "The Terrible Thunderlizards"