Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: IO delay, port 0x80, and BIOS POST codes [ In reply to ]
> > We've got one. Its 0x80. It works everywhere with only marginal non
> > problematic side effects
> >

> Ok, cool but does that mean you agree or disagree with a configurable
> override for those of us in the minority?
If we put every single requested obscure fix for one or two boxes into
the kernel configuration you'd be spending weeks wading through
"Handle weird APM on Dave's homebrew mediagx"
and other questions.
Let me suggest something else. For any kernel built with TSC assumed
(586TSC +) initialize the udelay loop to something guaranteed to be at
least too long for any conceivable processor and use udelay() for the I/O
delay timing.
Alan
-
Re: IO delay, port 0x80, and BIOS POST codes [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, David Golden wrote:
> Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 00:12:42 +0000
> From: David Golden <david.golden@oceanfree.net>
> To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
> Subject: Re: IO delay, port 0x80, and BIOS POST codes
>
> On Thursday 14 March 2002 22:55, Alan Cox wrote:
> >
> > We've got one. Its 0x80. It works everywhere with only marginal non
> > problematic side effects
>
> I've always liked POST cards. They could hypothetically be useful
> for kernel development,too - who hasn't wanted a low-level
> single-asm-instruction status output from a running system at one time or
> another , independent of any other output mechanisms?
>
> OK it's a single byte, but it's still nice... That's two whole hex digits!
> DE... AD... BE... EF... !
Any number of consecutive bits and a target I/O address can be very
useful.
I do it regularly for embedded kernel hacking... harmless I/O, picked up
by your logic analyzer.
Only drawback is it adds pathlength which can impact realtime if you get
excessive.
Johnh
> -

-
John Heil
South Coast Software
Custom systems software for UNIX and IBM MVS mainframes
1-714-774-6952
johnhscs@sc-software.com
http://www.sc-software.com
Re: IO delay, port 0x80, and BIOS POST codes [ In reply to ]

Re: IO delay, port 0x80, and BIOS POST codes [ In reply to ]
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, John Heil wrote:
> >
> > No, the better/correct port is 0xED which removes the conflict.
>
> Port ED is fine for a BIOS, which (by definition) knows what the
> motherboard devices are, and thus knows that ED cannot be used by
> anything.
>
> But it _is_ an unused port, and that's exactly the kind of thing that
> might be used sometime in the future. Remember the port 22/23 brouhaha
> with Cyrix using it for their stuff, and later Intel getting into the fray
> too?
>
> So the fact that ED works doesn't mean that _stays_ working.
>
> The fact that 80 is the post code register means that it is fairly likely
> to _stay_ that way, without any ugly surprises.
>
> Now, if there is something _else_ than just the fact that it is unused
> that makes ED a good choice in the future too, that might be worth looking
> into (like NT using it for the same purpose as Linux does port 80),
Does the logic outb_p uses continue to work if you have a PCI post
card (possibly on the motherboard). And an ISA device?
Systems without ISA slots but with ISA or LPC devices onboard must
use a PCI post card so I have trouble believing that outb_b and friends
really work as expected....
Eric
-
Re: IO delay, port 0x80, and BIOS POST codes [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Thunder from the hill wrote:
> I also remember this been discussed anually. Making it configurable with
> a warning might be a solution, but that's nothing we could decide. Maybe
> add a config option? It night be a [DANGEROUS] one, so the guys and gals
> who might compile are warned of changing this.
It doesn't even have to be a config option - a line
/* Port used for dummy writes for I/O delays */
/* Change this only if you know what you're doing ! */
#define DUMMY_IO_PORT 0x80
in a header file would perfectly suffice.
Martin
--
Martin Wilck Phone: +49 5251 8 15113
Fujitsu Siemens Computers Fax: +49 5251 8 20409
Re: IO delay, port 0x80, and BIOS POST codes [ In reply to ]
Martin Wilck <Martin.Wilck@fujitsu-siemens.com> writes:
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Thunder from the hill wrote:
>
> > I also remember this been discussed anually. Making it configurable with
> > a warning might be a solution, but that's nothing we could decide. Maybe
> > add a config option? It night be a [DANGEROUS] one, so the guys and gals
> > who might compile are warned of changing this.
>
> It doesn't even have to be a config option - a line
>
> /* Port used for dummy writes for I/O delays */
> /* Change this only if you know what you're doing ! */
> #define DUMMY_IO_PORT 0x80
>
> in a header file would perfectly suffice.
That effectively already exists. You just need to change the __SLOW_DOWN_IO
macro in include/asm-i387/io.h
-Andi
-
Re: IO delay, port 0x80, and BIOS POST codes [ In reply to ]
On 15 Mar 2002, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > It doesn't even have to be a config option - a line
> >
> > /* Port used for dummy writes for I/O delays */
> > /* Change this only if you know what you're doing ! */
> > #define DUMMY_IO_PORT 0x80
> >
> > in a header file would perfectly suffice.
>
> That effectively already exists. You just need to change the __SLOW_DOWN_IO
> macro in include/asm-i387/io.h
No, that doesn't cover all accesses to port 80. I am still searching.
Re: IO delay, port 0x80, and BIOS POST codes [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 01:47:39PM +0100, Martin Wilck wrote:
> On 15 Mar 2002, Andi Kleen wrote:
>
> > > It doesn't even have to be a config option - a line
> > >
> > > /* Port used for dummy writes for I/O delays */
> > > /* Change this only if you know what you're doing ! */
> > > #define DUMMY_IO_PORT 0x80
> > >
> > > in a header file would perfectly suffice.
> >
> > That effectively already exists. You just need to change the __SLOW_DOWN_IO
> > macro in include/asm-i387/io.h
>
> No, that doesn't cover all accesses to port 80. I am still searching.
It should. I would consider all other accesses a bug.
It is possible that some driver used it for private debugging and left it in by
mistake. These should be removed.
-Andi
-
Re: IO delay, port 0x80, and BIOS POST codes [ In reply to ]
Martin Wilck wrote:
> Thunder from the hill wrote:
> > Maybe add a config option?
> It doesn't even have to be a config option - a line
> in a header file would perfectly suffice.
So guys who don't have an idea of it won't find it. Good idea!
> Martin
Thunder
--
begin-base64 755 -
IyEgL3Vzci9iaW4vcGVybApteSAgICAgJHNheWluZyA9CSMgVGhlIHNjcmlw
-
Re: IO delay, port 0x80, and BIOS POST codes [ In reply to ]
> If we put every single requested obscure fix for one or two boxes into
> the kernel configuration you'd be spending weeks wading through
>
> "Handle weird APM on Dave's homebrew mediagx"
>
> and other questions.

A config option that lets you pick the address for the dummy io would
be a pretty obscure option. But having a CONFIG_POST_SUPPORT buried
somewhere wouldn't be that obscure or confusing. If that config
option is set, then a second question would prompt for an alternate
address to be used for the delay io, and a macro would be defined to
display post codes. If the option is unset, then 0x80 would be the
default for the delay address, and the post code macro would be defined
to do nothing.
Gerald
-
Re: IO delay, port 0x80, and BIOS POST codes [ In reply to ]
Hi!
> > We've got one. Its 0x80. It works everywhere with only marginal non
> > problematic side effects
>
> I've always liked POST cards. They could hypothetically be useful
> for kernel development,too - who hasn't wanted a low-level
> single-asm-instruction status output from a running system at one time or
> another , independent of any other output mechanisms?
>
> OK it's a single byte, but it's still nice... That's two whole hex digits!
> DE... AD... BE... EF... !
Use 0x378 for that, works equally well.
Pavel
-