Mailing List Archive

FSInvIndex fails to open file, prevents update
Hi all,

Using 0.162, I'm having trouble trying to update an index. It's not on
NFS and I call finish() with optimize => 0.

The error is as follows:

Eval failure: Couldn't open file
'/home/roberto/wd/kedin-score/fs_store/indexer/event/_1.del': File
exists at /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8/KinoSearch/Store/FSInvIndex.pm line 88

KinoSearch::Store::FSInvIndex::open_outstream('KinoSearch::Store::FSInvIndex=HASH(0x4db8630)',
'_1.del') called at
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8/KinoSearch/Index/DelDocs.pm line 35

(stacktrace omitted)

I can't consistently replicate the error, but it will eventually happen.
The code that updates the index is on a long-running process and the
error can happen any time, sometimes after updating a single record and
others after hours or days.

Searching for a solution I found this in the archive :
http://www.rectangular.com/pipermail/kinosearch/2006-July/000331.html

As it seems this change has not been ported to 0.162, I am now calling
$indexer->_release_locks manually after each call to finish(), but to no
avail. The error keeps happening.

Apart from migrating to 0.20 (can't do at the moment), any advice on how
to duplicate/fix the error or a pointer to any relevant documentation or
mailing list message would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

--Roberto

Re: FSInvIndex fails to open file, prevents update [ In reply to ]
On Aug 21, 2008, at 9:08 AM, Roberto Henriquez Laurent wrote:

> Using 0.162, I'm having trouble trying to update an index. It's not
> on NFS and I call finish() with optimize => 0.
>
> The error is as follows:
>
> Eval failure: Couldn't open file '/home/roberto/wd/kedin-score/
> fs_store/indexer/event/_1.del': File exists at /usr/local/lib/perl/
> 5.8.8/KinoSearch/Store/FSInvIndex.pm line 88
> KinoSearch
> ::Store
> ::FSInvIndex
> ::open_outstream('KinoSearch::Store::FSInvIndex=HASH(0x4db8630)',
> '_1.del') called at /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8/KinoSearch/Index/
> DelDocs.pm line 35

This appears to be a bug in 0.162. I believe it has been fixed by
commit r3742.

I'll make a bugfix release, but if you could try svn first, that would
be best.

svn co -r 3742 http://www.rectangular.com/svn/kinosearch/branches/maint_0.1x/
kinosearch_maint

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/

Re: FSInvIndex fails to open file, prevents update [ In reply to ]
Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> This appears to be a bug in 0.162. I believe it has been fixed by
> commit r3742.
>
> I'll make a bugfix release, but if you could try svn first, that would
> be best.
>
> svn co -r 3742
> http://www.rectangular.com/svn/kinosearch/branches/maint_0.1x/ kinosearch_maint

Hi!

First, sorry for coming back this late; I haven't been at home for the
last couple of days. I have just tested rev. 3742 and it seems to be
working fine. The error is gone!

So, thanks *a lot* for the fix, and the obligatory question is... when
do you plan to make that maintenance release?

Regards,

--Roberto

Re: FSInvIndex fails to open file, prevents update [ In reply to ]
On Aug 27, 2008, at 2:52 AM, Roberto Henriquez Laurent wrote:

> The error is gone!

Excellent.

> when do you plan to make that maintenance release?

I just uploaded KS version 0.163 to CPAN, so it should be on its way
to a mirror near you.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/