Mailing List Archive

Image of capture source cropped using Hauppauge HVR-1900
Hi,

I'm using the composite input from a Hauppauge HVR-1900 to route a
set-top box through my HTPC.

Unfortunately for some reason the bottom of the image seems to be cropped??

Running a v4l2-ctl --al this is the output:

# v4l2-ctl --all
Driver Info (not using libv4l2):
Driver name : pvrusb2
Card type : WinTV HVR-1900 Model 73xxx
Bus info : usb-0000:00:14.0-10
Driver version: 3.16.4
Capabilities : 0x01070001
Video Capture
Tuner
Audio
Radio
Read/Write
Frequency for tuner 0: 980 (61.250000 MHz)
Tuner 0:
Name :
Capabilities : 62.5 kHz multi-standard stereo lang1
lang2 freq-bands
Frequency range : 44.000 MHz - 958.000 MHz
Signal strength/AFC : 0%/0
Current audio mode : stereo
Available subchannels: mono lang2
Video input : 1 (composite: ok)
Audio input : 0 (PVRUSB2 Audio)
Video Standard = 0x00000000
Format Video Capture:
Width/Height : 720/480
Pixel Format : ''
Field : Interlaced
Bytes per Line: 0
Size Image : 32768
Colorspace : Unknown (00000000)
Crop Capability Video Capture:
Bounds : Left 0, Top 0, Width 0, Height 0
Default : Left 0, Top 0, Width 0, Height 0
Pixel Aspect: 0/0
Crop: Left 0, Top 0, Width 720, Height 480
Streaming Parameters Video Capture:
Frames per second: 25.000 (25/1)
Read buffers : 2

I'm not sure if the issue lies with the capture input not having the
vertical resolution needed for the source or if it's something else.
Directly connected to the TV works fine, it simply auto-adjusts.

Is there anything that can be done? I've tried changing the capture
format resolution but the system wouldn't take it, so not sure where to
turn or what to do now....

Regards,

Kaya
Re: Image of capture source cropped using Hauppauge HVR-1900 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 10:16 AM, Kaya Saman <kayasaman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using the composite input from a Hauppauge HVR-1900 to route a set-top
> box through my HTPC.
>
> Unfortunately for some reason the bottom of the image seems to be cropped??

Given you're using an HVR-1900 I would assume you're trying to capture
PAL, in which case you need to be capturing at 720x576 instead of
720x480 (which is for NTSC). That' why you're getting cropped video.

You might be better off emailing the linux-media mailing list, since
the HVR-1900 isn't an IVTV device.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

Re: Image of capture source cropped using Hauppauge HVR-1900 [ In reply to ]
On 10/23/2014 03:23 PM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 10:16 AM, Kaya Saman <kayasaman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using the composite input from a Hauppauge HVR-1900 to route a set-top
>> box through my HTPC.
>>
>> Unfortunately for some reason the bottom of the image seems to be cropped??
> Given you're using an HVR-1900 I would assume you're trying to capture
> PAL, in which case you need to be capturing at 720x576 instead of
> 720x480 (which is for NTSC). That' why you're getting cropped video.
>
> You might be better off emailing the linux-media mailing list, since
> the HVR-1900 isn't an IVTV device.
>
> Devin

Thanks for the response.... and information.

I tried emailing the linuxtv list a while back but didn't get a
response; also when I searched for v4l2 mailing list, I got pointed to
this list.

That clears a lot of things up though so I'll try and see if I can
change the input format :-)

Regards,

Kaya

Re: Image of capture source cropped using Hauppauge HVR-1900 [ In reply to ]
> That clears a lot of things up though so I'll try and see if I can change
> the input format :-)

I don't know the specifics of the pvrusb2 driver, but you might need
to explicitly set the standard to PAL before trying to set the
resolution. That might be why the call to set the resolution fails
(if the standard is set to NTSC, it won't let you set a resolution
with a height greater than 480).

Devin

Re: Image of capture source cropped using Hauppauge HVR-1900 [ In reply to ]
On 10/23/2014 03:34 PM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
>> That clears a lot of things up though so I'll try and see if I can change
>> the input format :-)
> I don't know the specifics of the pvrusb2 driver, but you might need
> to explicitly set the standard to PAL before trying to set the
> resolution. That might be why the call to set the resolution fails
> (if the standard is set to NTSC, it won't let you set a resolution
> with a height greater than 480).
>
> Devin

Yep that was the case!

I managed to fix it, thank you so much :-)

Video Standard = 0x000000ff
PAL-B/B1/G/H/I/D/D1/K
Format Video Capture:
Width/Height : 720/576
Pixel Format : ''
Field : Interlaced
Bytes per Line: 0
Size Image : 32768
Colorspace : Unknown (00000000)
Crop Capability Video Capture:
Bounds : Left 0, Top 0, Width 0, Height 0
Pixel Aspect: 0/0
Crop: Left 0, Top 0, Width 720, Height 576

Answer was:

545 v4l2-ctl -S
546 v4l2-ctl --list-standards
547 v4l2-ctl -s 0