Mailing List Archive

Closed captions failure on linux Mint.
After upgrading I can't see to get closed captions to work. Specifically,
the old command used
to get captions in-line (v4l2-ctl -b cc) now fails.

$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=16
DISTRIB_CODENAME=petra
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 16 Petra"

$ v4l2-ctl -B --verbose
VIDIOC_QUERYCAP: ok
VIDIOC_G_TUNER: ok
VIDIOC_G_FMT: failed: Invalid argument

# Here's the key command
$ v4l2-ctl -b cc
VIDIOC_S_FMT: failed: Invalid argument
# This worked before the upgrade

$ /sbin/modinfo ivtv
filename:
/lib/modules/3.11.0-12-generic/kernel/drivers/media/pci/ivtv/ivtv.ko
version: 1.4.3
license: GPL
author: Kevin Thayer, Chris Kennedy, Hans Verkuil
... lots of other information ...

$ lspci | grep -i itv
03:02.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16
(CX23416) Video Decoder (rev 01

So anyone know how to get closed captions out of the card and into a srt
file?
Re: Closed captions failure on linux Mint. [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Stephen D Oualline
<oualline@www.oualline.com> wrote:

> After upgrading I can't see to get closed captions to work. Specifically,
> the old command used
> to get captions in-line (v4l2-ctl -b cc) now fails.
>
> $ cat /etc/lsb-release
> DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
> DISTRIB_RELEASE=16
> DISTRIB_CODENAME=petra
> DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 16 Petra"
>

> $ v4l2-ctl -B --verbose
> VIDIOC_QUERYCAP: ok
> VIDIOC_G_TUNER: ok
> VIDIOC_G_FMT: failed: Invalid argument
>
> # Here's the key command
> $ v4l2-ctl -b cc
> VIDIOC_S_FMT: failed: Invalid argument
> # This worked before the upgrade

Try adding "-d /dev/vbi0". I suspect this is a result of some changes
clarifying that you cannot issue VBI related commands against the
video device node.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs