Mailing List Archive

DMA TIMEOUT error
Hi all,

On my opensuse 12.2 system I get lots of DMA time out errors:

kernel: [1937153.932749] ivtv0: DMA TIMEOUT 00000001 2

when I try to get data from /dev/video0 (test.mpg has zero length after
running 'cat /dev/video0 > tst.mpg' for some time).

On the 12.1 version of opensuse it ran OK.

Googling I found

/2007-10-14/

//

/ivtv stable version //0.10.6
<http://dl.ivtvdriver.org/ivtv/archive/0.10.x/ivtv-0.10.6.tar.gz>//released
(//ChangeLog
<http://dl.ivtvdriver.org/ivtv/stable/ChangeLog-0.10>//). This
release is for kernels >= 2.6.18 and <= 2.6.21.x. This release
should solve the DMA timeout errors and contains a large amount of
assorted bug fixes. /

on ivtv.org, but no further clues.

Has this bug been re-introduced, or am I bitten by something else?

Hardware is Hauppauge PVR 150. The driver seems to see the card correct:
lspci gives

07:06.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16
(CX23416) Video Decoder (rev 01)

Any idea how to solve this?

Thanks in advance, Jogchum
Re: DMA TIMEOUT error [ In reply to ]
> On my opensuse 12.2 system I get lots of DMA time out errors:
>
> kernel: [1937153.932749] ivtv0: DMA TIMEOUT 00000001 2
>
> when I try to get data from /dev/video0 (test.mpg has zero length after
> running 'cat /dev/video0 > tst.mpg' for some time).
>
> On the 12.1 version of opensuse it ran OK.
>
> Googling I found
>
> 2007-10-14
>
> ivtv stable version 0.10.6 released (ChangeLog). This release is for kernels
>>= 2.6.18 and <= 2.6.21.x. This release should solve the DMA timeout errors
> and contains a large amount of assorted bug fixes.
>
> on ivtv.org, but no further clues.
>
> Has this bug been re-introduced, or am I bitten by something else?

I have not seen this bug in many years and I still use hauppage PVRs
daily. I just updated to kernel 3.7.2 however I have used quite a few
kernels since I have last had that bug..

John

Re: DMA TIMEOUT error [ In reply to ]
Op 12-01-13 20:15, John Drescher schreef:
>> On my opensuse 12.2 system I get lots of DMA time out errors:
>>
>> kernel: [1937153.932749] ivtv0: DMA TIMEOUT 00000001 2
>>
>> when I try to get data from /dev/video0 (test.mpg has zero length after
>> running 'cat /dev/video0 > tst.mpg' for some time).
>>
>> On the 12.1 version of opensuse it ran OK.
>>
>> Googling I found
>>
>> 2007-10-14
>>
>> ivtv stable version 0.10.6 released (ChangeLog). This release is for kernels
>>> = 2.6.18 and <= 2.6.21.x. This release should solve the DMA timeout errors
>> and contains a large amount of assorted bug fixes.
>>
>> on ivtv.org, but no further clues.
>>
>> Has this bug been re-introduced, or am I bitten by something else?
>>
> I have not seen this bug in many years and I still use hauppage PVRs
> daily. I just updated to kernel 3.7.2 however I have used quite a few
> kernels since I have last had that bug..
>

> John

Hmm, a simple reboot solved the problem.... Thanks for reacting!

regards, Jogchum

Re: DMA TIMEOUT error [ In reply to ]
On 1/12/2013 4:19 PM, Jogchum Reitsma wrote:
> Op 12-01-13 20:15, John Drescher schreef:
>>> On my opensuse 12.2 system I get lots of DMA time out errors:
>>>
>>> kernel: [1937153.932749] ivtv0: DMA TIMEOUT 00000001 2
>>>
>>> when I try to get data from /dev/video0 (test.mpg has zero length after
>>> running 'cat /dev/video0 > tst.mpg' for some time).
>>>
>>> On the 12.1 version of opensuse it ran OK.
>>>
>>> Googling I found
>>>
>>> 2007-10-14
>>>
>>> ivtv stable version 0.10.6 released (ChangeLog). This release is for kernels
>>> and contains a large amount of assorted bug fixes.
>>>
>>> on ivtv.org, but no further clues.
>>>
>>> Has this bug been re-introduced, or am I bitten by something else?
>>>
>> I have not seen this bug in many years and I still use hauppage PVRs
>> daily. I just updated to kernel 3.7.2 however I have used quite a few
>> kernels since I have last had that bug..
>>

>> John
>>
> Hmm, a simple reboot solved the problem.... Thanks for reacting!
>
> regards, Jogchum

I had this problem back in 2010. A reboot would clear the problem, but it would happen a few days later. I believe the problem was due my AMD Athlon X2 4850e dual core cpu, which apparently slows down the PCI bus when it is slowed down. I fixed it for good by disabling AMD Cool n' Quiet in the BIOS. There are other solutions, like upgrading the CPU to an Athlon II or Phenom II, or tinkering with linux's CPU frequency governor and/or its settings. If you've got a similar CPU, you might find this thread of interest:

Helen