Mailing List Archive

Re: [ivtv-devel] Pondering if it is worth moderating these lists any more..
John Drescher <drescherjm@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>As list moderator for several years now it seems that now I rarely
>have to push a valid message through however I still need to zap 3 to
>10 SPAM messages from each list every single day. Although I am still
>happy to do this I am pondering if I should not check as much any
>more. Normally I check a few times a day but it now seems like a
>waste..
>Thoughts? Is anyone out there still? I am actually still recording
>daily on my cards using the IVTV driver but I suspect most users have
>gone 100% digital.
>
>--
>John M. Drescher

I suspect the ivtv-devel list can be shuttered after a period of redirecting people to linux-media@vger.kernel.org .

I'm on the fence about ivtv-users, as a focused users group list is sometimes nicer than sifting through the noise on higher volume lists like linux-media. ivtv-users is rather low volume after the digital switchover though.

Regards,
Andy

Re: [ivtv-devel] Pondering if it is worth moderating these lists any more.. [ In reply to ]
I still use the cards, the driver, and the list. I also greatly appreciate all the help that has come from the list but can understand wanting to get to something that is more manageable. It is a shame that there isn't a way to define a domain that does not get exploited by the spammers and could be used for communities such as this one.

What about having a form on the ivtv site that allows for a submission but can only be accessed if you are a member. Even have the submitter receive an email that is required to approve the submission and enter in a unlock code provided. Then the submission can be posted as a new blog entry if it is of legitimate consideration. Users would subscribe to an rss feed to get the notifications and can then respond (again through a controlled approach). If a user abuses the rights they get pulled. I suppose this would all be to much work though as well. Not really an easy thing to solve.

Again, I personally appreciate all the hard work and great help you have all been over the years.

-Peter

Sent from my iPad

Re: [ivtv-devel] Pondering if it is worth moderating these lists any more.. [ In reply to ]
I know this is beating a dead horse and all, but I just want to make sure
everyone understands that digital did not take over 100%. My cable company
will still be transmitting analog channels for the foreseeable future. I
asked them, and they said they have no plans to change that any time soon.
Something about the old analog infrastructure still being useful for a large
chunk of their customers. Digital tuners are not as attractive, since I can
only tune a handful of digital channels with my local provider (basically
just the local networks, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc). The rest of them are
encrypted and totally useless to my MythTV installation.