Hi Andy,

I was wondering if you could confirm that the HVR-1600 1388 model can
support PAL capture from the analog S-Video/RCA composite inputs? Also,
does the analog tuner support PAL? I have seen output in the driver that
suggests PAL support but I was wondering if it varied by card or if the
tuner and encoder are multi-format on all models.

Thanks,

-Jeff
Re: cx18: PAL support on 1388? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Jeff Campbell <jac1dlists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> I was wondering if you could confirm that the HVR-1600 1388 model can
> support PAL capture from the analog S-Video/RCA composite inputs?  Also,
> does the analog tuner support PAL?  I have seen output in the driver that
> suggests PAL support but I was wondering if it varied by card or if the
> tuner and encoder are multi-format on all models.

Hi Jeff,

Kernel Labs did some validation of the 1600 for a PAL commercial
customer a few months ago. Whether PAL is supported is largely
dependent on whether you have the new 1600 design (released about a
year ago), or whether it's a legacy board. The new design has an
tda18271, which does support PAL. The older version (which has a can
tuner) does not.

I'll have to check with Steven in terms of whether he had to make any
fixes, and if so whether they got upstream.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

Re: cx18: PAL support on 1388? [ In reply to ]
Great news, thanks for the update Devin. I believe the 1388 is the newer
version, that was the one I sent Andy a board for that required a few
tweaks.

I will be interested to hear about the merge of support. I assume that
applies both to tuner as well as analog capture support, or is it only a
question of whether tuner support is present for PAL, as analog was always
supported?

-Jeff

Re: cx18: PAL support on 1388? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Jeff Campbell <jac1dlists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great news, thanks for the update Devin.  I believe the 1388 is the newer
> version, that was the one I sent Andy a board for that required a few
> tweaks.
>
> I will be interested to hear about the merge of support.  I assume that
> applies both to tuner as well as analog capture support, or is it only a
> question of whether tuner support is present for PAL, as analog was always
> supported?

As I'm sure you know, analog support is typically comes in two forms:
analog via the tuner, and analog via the composite/s-video inputs.
I'm pretty sure that both are supported now in the existing upstream
tree, although I believe Steven also did some tweaks to improve
picture quality that I am not sure have been merged.

Devin

Re: cx18: PAL support on 1388? [ In reply to ]
Excellent, thanks for the further detail Devin. I am happy to very the
patches against another install and report back.

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 7:43 AM, Devin Heitmueller <

Re: cx18: PAL support on 1388? [ In reply to ]
Jeff Campbell <jac1dlists@gmail.com> wrote:

>Excellent, thanks for the further detail Devin. I am happy to very the
>patches against another install and report back.
>
>On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 7:43 AM, Devin Heitmueller <
>dheitmueller@kernellabs.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Jeff Campbell
><jac1dlists@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Great news, thanks for the update Devin. I believe the 1388 is the
>newer
>> > version, that was the one I sent Andy a board for that required a
>few
>> > tweaks.
>> >
>> > I will be interested to hear about the merge of support. I assume
>that
>> > applies both to tuner as well as analog capture support, or is it
>only a
>> > question of whether tuner support is present for PAL, as analog was
>> always
>> > supported?
>>
>> As I'm sure you know, analog support is typically comes in two forms:
>> analog via the tuner, and analog via the composite/s-video inputs.
>> I'm pretty sure that both are supported now in the existing upstream
>> tree, although I believe Steven also did some tweaks to improve
>> picture quality that I am not sure have been merged.
>>
>> Devin
>>
>> --
>> Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
>> http://www.kernellabs.com

PAL has always been support on CVBS and S-Video inputs.

Only the newer HVR-1600's with the tda18(mumble) tuner support PAL via analog RF. That should be the 1388's.

I have not received or seen any patches from Steven, although I did have some IRC chats with him to answer some questions when he was working on them.

Regards,.
Andy

Re: cx18: PAL support on 1388? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 9:05 AM, Andy Walls <awalls@md.metrocast.net> wrote:

> PAL has always been support on CVBS and S-Video inputs.
>
> Only the newer HVR-1600's with the tda18(mumble) tuner support PAL via
> analog RF. That should be the 1388's.
>
> I have not received or seen any patches from Steven, although I did have
> some IRC chats with him to answer some questions when he was working on
> them.
>
> Regards,.
> Andy

Excellent, thanks for the confirmation Andy. So we shouldn't need to
update the driver if we are working in a stable fashion with the 1388,
unless we need the RF input operational. That is good to know.

-Jeff
Re: cx18: PAL support on 1388? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2012-04-10 at 09:12 -0700, Jeff Campbell wrote:

> Excellent, thanks for the confirmation Andy. So we shouldn't need to
> update the driver if we are working in a stable fashion with the 1388,
> unless we need the RF input operational. That is good to know.

Just to clarify, you should have PAL via RF with the HVR-1600 1388 with
the stable driver right now. Note that the cx18 driver sets the RF
tuner to NTSC-M as a default, since North America is the primary market
for the HVR-1600.

BTW, Hans verified PAL-BG/DK/I/M/Nc via RF with the HVR-1600 1388. You
might have an email from him dated 10 June 2011.

Regards,
Andy

Re: cx18: PAL support on 1388? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Andy Walls <awalls@md.metrocast.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-04-10 at 09:12 -0700, Jeff Campbell wrote:
>

> > Excellent, thanks for the confirmation Andy. So we shouldn't need to
> > update the driver if we are working in a stable fashion with the 1388,
> > unless we need the RF input operational. That is good to know.
>

> Just to clarify, you should have PAL via RF with the HVR-1600 1388 with
> the stable driver right now. Note that the cx18 driver sets the RF
> tuner to NTSC-M as a default, since North America is the primary market
> for the HVR-1600.
>
> BTW, Hans verified PAL-BG/DK/I/M/Nc via RF with the HVR-1600 1388. You
> might have an email from him dated 10 June 2011.
>
> Regards,
> Andy

Thanks Andy. For the sake of the archives, PAL support on the baseband
inputs has been working for quite some time on all models of card, not just
the 1388, correct?

-Jeff
Re: cx18: PAL support on 1388? [ In reply to ]
Jeff Campbell <jac1dlists@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Andy Walls <awalls@md.metrocast.net>
>wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2012-04-10 at 09:12 -0700, Jeff Campbell wrote:
>>

>> > Excellent, thanks for the confirmation Andy. So we shouldn't need
>> > update the driver if we are working in a stable fashion with the
>1388,
>> > unless we need the RF input operational. That is good to know.
>>

>> Just to clarify, you should have PAL via RF with the HVR-1600 1388
>with
>> the stable driver right now. Note that the cx18 driver sets the RF
>> tuner to NTSC-M as a default, since North America is the primary
>market
>> for the HVR-1600.
>>
>> BTW, Hans verified PAL-BG/DK/I/M/Nc via RF with the HVR-1600 1388.
>You
>> might have an email from him dated 10 June 2011.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Andy
>>

>Thanks Andy. For the sake of the archives, PAL support on the baseband
>inputs has been working for quite some time on all models of card, not
>just
>the 1388, correct?
>
>-Jeff

Yes.