latest cx18 driver from http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/ . Its almost like the
card needs windows to initialize before it will work in linux. I believe to
be using the latest firmware, I grabbed it from
http://linuxtv.org/downloads/firmware/v4l-cx23418-apu.fw [along with the
rest of firmware files]. Is there anything I can do to debug this problem?
Is it possible that the card has a hardware issue?

--
Darren Blaber
Re: cx18 HVR-1600 Analog Audio Issues [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 3:41 AM, Darren <dmbtech@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently bought a HVR-1600 PCI card, and after playing with it for quite a
> while, it seems I have come to the conclusion that audio does not work
> unless I start in windows first, then reboot back into linux. I am using the
>
> latest cx18 driver from http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/ . Its almost like the
> card needs windows to initialize before it will work in linux. I believe to
> be using the latest firmware, I grabbed it from
>
> http://linuxtv.org/downloads/firmware/v4l-cx23418-apu.fw [along with the
> rest of firmware files]. Is there anything I can do to debug this problem?
>
> Is it possible that the card has a hardware issue?

Hello Darren,

That seems a little suspicious, since I added the raw analog audio
support and never once had the card booted into Windows.

Are you talking about raw audio (either the /dev/video24 device or via
ALSA)? Or are you capturing MPEG video which contains audio? Also,
which input are you using? The tuner input? The S-video/composite
input?

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

Re: cx18 HVR-1600 Analog Audio Issues [ In reply to ]
Hello, sorry I missed you on irc, I was asleep. To answer your question, I
am using the latest cx18 drivers from linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb.

--
Darren Blaber
Re: cx18 HVR-1600 Analog Audio Issues [ In reply to ]
Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 3:41 AM, Darren <dmbtech@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I recently bought a HVR-1600 PCI card, and after playing with it for quite a
>> while, it seems I have come to the conclusion that audio does not work
>> unless I start in windows first, then reboot back into linux. I am using the
>>
>> latest cx18 driver from http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/ . Its almost like the
>> card needs windows to initialize before it will work in linux. I believe to
>> be using the latest firmware, I grabbed it from
>>
>> http://linuxtv.org/downloads/firmware/v4l-cx23418-apu.fw [along with the
>> rest of firmware files]. Is there anything I can do to debug this problem?
>>
>> Is it possible that the card has a hardware issue?
>>

> Hello Darren,
>
> That seems a little suspicious, since I added the raw analog audio
> support and never once had the card booted into Windows.
>
> Are you talking about raw audio (either the /dev/video24 device or via
> ALSA)? Or are you capturing MPEG video which contains audio? Also,
> which input are you using? The tuner input? The S-video/composite
> input?
>
> Devin

I am capturing MPEG video that contains the audio, I am using the tuner
input, grabbing everything from /dev/video0.

Re: cx18 HVR-1600 Analog Audio Issues [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 14:45 -0500, Darren Blaber wrote:
> Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 3:41 AM, Darren <dmbtech@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I recently bought a HVR-1600 PCI card, and after playing with it for quite a
> >> while, it seems I have come to the conclusion that audio does not work
> >> unless I start in windows first, then reboot back into linux. I am using the
> >>
> >> latest cx18 driver from http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/ . Its almost like the
> >> card needs windows to initialize before it will work in linux. I believe to
> >> be using the latest firmware, I grabbed it from
> >>
> >> http://linuxtv.org/downloads/firmware/v4l-cx23418-apu.fw [along with the
> >> rest of firmware files]. Is there anything I can do to debug this problem?
> >>
> >> Is it possible that the card has a hardware issue?
> >>

> > Hello Darren,
> >
> > That seems a little suspicious, since I added the raw analog audio
> > support and never once had the card booted into Windows.
> >
> > Are you talking about raw audio (either the /dev/video24 device or via
> > ALSA)? Or are you capturing MPEG video which contains audio? Also,
> > which input are you using? The tuner input? The S-video/composite
> > input?
> >
> > Devin
> >

> I am capturing MPEG video that contains the audio, I am using the tuner
> input, grabbing everything from /dev/video0.

When running a capture, please check the output of

$ v4l2-ctl --log-status

looking especially at the lines starting with

cx18-0 843:

as these will show you the state of the A/V decoder and digitizer. If
the audio microcontroller can't dtetct the audio standard, it will stay
muted and the log will show you that.

I would be interested in see the dmesg or /var/log/messages output
showing if all three firmware images loaded properly.

So maybe try this:

1. blacklist the cx18 module in /etc/modprobe.d/balcklist (or whereever)
2. Shutdown your machine for 30 seconds or so - I want the memory
holding the firmware to be cleared.
3. Restart into linux.
4. After boot up has settled, as root:

# modprobe cx18 debug=255

And look in /var/log/messages for firmware loading properly.

Regards,
Andy

Re: cx18 HVR-1600 Analog Audio Issues [ In reply to ]
Andy Walls wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 14:45 -0500, Darren Blaber wrote:
>
>> Devin Heitmueller wrote:

>>> Hello Darren,
>>>
>>> That seems a little suspicious, since I added the raw analog audio
>>> support and never once had the card booted into Windows.
>>>
>>> Are you talking about raw audio (either the /dev/video24 device or via
>>> ALSA)? Or are you capturing MPEG video which contains audio? Also,
>>> which input are you using? The tuner input? The S-video/composite
>>> input?
>>>
>>> Devin
>>>

>> I am capturing MPEG video that contains the audio, I am using the tuner
>> input, grabbing everything from /dev/video0.
>>

> When running a capture, please check the output of
>
> $ v4l2-ctl --log-status
>
> looking especially at the lines starting with
>
> cx18-0 843:
>
> as these will show you the state of the A/V decoder and digitizer. If
> the audio microcontroller can't dtetct the audio standard, it will stay
> muted and the log will show you that.
>

> I would be interested in see the dmesg or /var/log/messages output
> showing if all three firmware images loaded properly.
>
> So maybe try this:
>
> 1. blacklist the cx18 module in /etc/modprobe.d/balcklist (or whereever)
> 2. Shutdown your machine for 30 seconds or so - I want the memory
> holding the firmware to be cleared.
> 3. Restart into linux.
> 4. After boot up has settled, as root:
>
> # modprobe cx18 debug=255
>

> And look in /var/log/messages for firmware loading properly.
>
> Regards,
> Andy

My last message was too large, so I compressed the logs, and it is now
attached.
Re: cx18 HVR-1600 Analog Audio Issues [ In reply to ]
Andy Walls wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 14:45 -0500, Darren Blaber wrote:
>
>> Devin Heitmueller wrote:

>>> Hello Darren,
>>>
>>> That seems a little suspicious, since I added the raw analog audio
>>> support and never once had the card booted into Windows.
>>>
>>> Are you talking about raw audio (either the /dev/video24 device or via
>>> ALSA)? Or are you capturing MPEG video which contains audio? Also,
>>> which input are you using? The tuner input? The S-video/composite
>>> input?
>>>
>>> Devin
>>>

>> I am capturing MPEG video that contains the audio, I am using the tuner
>> input, grabbing everything from /dev/video0.
>>

> When running a capture, please check the output of
>
> $ v4l2-ctl --log-status
>
> looking especially at the lines starting with
>
> cx18-0 843:
>
> as these will show you the state of the A/V decoder and digitizer. If
> the audio microcontroller can't dtetct the audio standard, it will stay
> muted and the log will show you that.
>

> I would be interested in see the dmesg or /var/log/messages output
> showing if all three firmware images loaded properly.
>
> So maybe try this:
>
> 1. blacklist the cx18 module in /etc/modprobe.d/balcklist (or whereever)
> 2. Shutdown your machine for 30 seconds or so - I want the memory
> holding the firmware to be cleared.
> 3. Restart into linux.
> 4. After boot up has settled, as root:
>
> # modprobe cx18 debug=255
>

> And look in /var/log/messages for firmware loading properly.
>
> Regards,
> Andy

As per the IRC conversation, I renamed the alsa module, and replaced the
firmware with firmware from
http://dl.ivtvdriver.org/ivtv/firmware/cx18-firmware.tar.gz . I get even
weirder results now, with video showing up as a completely black
screen. Everything still works after rebooting into windows then back
into linux and viewing video (with audio and everything). Attachment has
the new logs.
Re: cx18 HVR-1600 Analog Audio Issues [ In reply to ]
Andy Walls wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 14:45 -0500, Darren Blaber wrote:
>
>> Devin Heitmueller wrote:

>>> Hello Darren,
>>>
>>> That seems a little suspicious, since I added the raw analog audio
>>> support and never once had the card booted into Windows.
>>>
>>> Are you talking about raw audio (either the /dev/video24 device or via
>>> ALSA)? Or are you capturing MPEG video which contains audio? Also,
>>> which input are you using? The tuner input? The S-video/composite
>>> input?
>>>
>>> Devin
>>>

>> I am capturing MPEG video that contains the audio, I am using the tuner
>> input, grabbing everything from /dev/video0.
>>

> When running a capture, please check the output of
>
> $ v4l2-ctl --log-status
>
> looking especially at the lines starting with
>
> cx18-0 843:
>
> as these will show you the state of the A/V decoder and digitizer. If
> the audio microcontroller can't dtetct the audio standard, it will stay
> muted and the log will show you that.
>

> I would be interested in see the dmesg or /var/log/messages output
> showing if all three firmware images loaded properly.
>
> So maybe try this:
>
> 1. blacklist the cx18 module in /etc/modprobe.d/balcklist (or whereever)
> 2. Shutdown your machine for 30 seconds or so - I want the memory
> holding the firmware to be cleared.
> 3. Restart into linux.
> 4. After boot up has settled, as root:
>
> # modprobe cx18 debug=255
>

> And look in /var/log/messages for firmware loading properly.
>
> Regards,
> Andy

Here is a dump of the registers, attached.
Re: cx18 HVR-1600 Analog Audio Issues [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 20:51 -0500, Darren Blaber wrote:
> [...]

Darren,

Could you please try the cx18 driver at this repository:

http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx18-audio

?

In two patches, I've reworked when the audio detection microcontroller's
soft and hard resets are asserted.

If those two patches don't seem to work, please change
linux/drivers/media/video/cx18/cx18-av-core.h

#define CXADEC_AUDIO_SOFT_RESET 0x810

to be

#define CXADEC_AUDIO_SOFT_RESET 0x9cc

and then see if the patches work. (I've got some conflicting
information on which register is actually the soft reset register.)

I haven't tested any of this, as I don't have an analog RF signal handy
ATM.

Regards,
Andy

Re: cx18 HVR-1600 Analog Audio Issues [ In reply to ]
Andy Walls wrote:

> Darren,
>
> Could you please try the cx18 driver at this repository:
>
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx18-audio
>
> ?
>
> In two patches, I've reworked when the audio detection microcontroller's
> soft and hard resets are asserted.
>
> If those two patches don't seem to work, please change
> linux/drivers/media/video/cx18/cx18-av-core.h
>
> #define CXADEC_AUDIO_SOFT_RESET 0x810
>
> to be
>
> #define CXADEC_AUDIO_SOFT_RESET 0x9cc
>
> and then see if the patches work. (I've got some conflicting
> information on which register is actually the soft reset register.)
>

> I haven't tested any of this, as I don't have an analog RF signal handy
> ATM.
>
> Regards,
> Andy

Hello, I tried your repo, and tried modifying the registers. Default,
the 0x810 seems to make no difference with the audio. When changing the
register to point to 0x9cc, the tuner outputs a blank signal, completely
black. One thing I noticed is that CXADEC_GENERAL_CTL and
CXADEC_AUDIO_SOFT_RESET point to the same register. Is this intended?
Thanks.
#define CXADEC_GENERAL_CTL 0x810
#define CXADEC_AUDIO_SOFT_RESET 0x810
Re: cx18 HVR-1600 Analog Audio Issues [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 23:05 -0400, Darren Blaber wrote:
> Andy Walls wrote:

> > Darren,
> >
> > Could you please try the cx18 driver at this repository:
> >
> > http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx18-audio
> >
> > ?
> >
> > In two patches, I've reworked when the audio detection microcontroller's
> > soft and hard resets are asserted.
> >
> > If those two patches don't seem to work, please change
> > linux/drivers/media/video/cx18/cx18-av-core.h
> >
> > #define CXADEC_AUDIO_SOFT_RESET 0x810
> >
> > to be
> >
> > #define CXADEC_AUDIO_SOFT_RESET 0x9cc
> >
> > and then see if the patches work. (I've got some conflicting
> > information on which register is actually the soft reset register.)
> >

> > I haven't tested any of this, as I don't have an analog RF signal handy
> > ATM.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andy
> >

> Hello, I tried your repo, and tried modifying the registers. Default,
> the 0x810 seems to make no difference with the audio. When changing
> the register to point to 0x9cc, the tuner outputs a blank signal,
> completely black.

Well, that shouldn't have happened. My changes only muck with broadcast
audio detection.

I may have some time to start experimenting with my DTV set top box
today (my only RF analog source). It's RF signal is incredibly clean
and strong, so I may not be able to reporduce your problem with audio,
but I should be able to see if I broke anything.

> One thing I noticed is that CXADEC_GENERAL_CTL and
> CXADEC_AUDIO_SOFT_RESET point to the same register. Is this intended?
> Thanks.
> #define CXADEC_GENERAL_CTL 0x810
> #define CXADEC_AUDIO_SOFT_RESET 0x810

Yes. Leave CXADEC_GENERAL_CTL alone. Change CXADEC_AUDIO_SOFT_RESET to
0x9cc if experimenting.

Regards,
Andy

Re: cx18 HVR-1600 Analog Audio Issues [ In reply to ]