there over the years, I am able to type
cat /dev/video0 > myfile.mpg
to capture the signal to an mpg file, or
vlc pvr:///dev/video0 to see it live in VLC

I am sure that there a way that I can view it and record it at the
same time but I have not managed to work out how. Any help would be
much appreciated.

Colin Law

Re: pvr-150 streaming question [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> My first post here as a newcomer to the field of video capture.
> I have installed a Hauppauge pvr-150 in my PC running Ubuntu 9.10. I
> wish to use it to convert my stack of video tapes to DVD before my
> ageing video recorder dies.
>
> With a bit of googling I learnt that I should install ivtv-utils  and
> am able to set the input channel to the composite i/p with
> v4l2-ctl --set-input=2
>
> I was then very pleased to find that, due to the hard work of many out
> there over the years, I am able to type
> cat /dev/video0 > myfile.mpg
> to capture the signal to an mpg file, or
> vlc pvr:///dev/video0 to see it live in VLC
>
> I am sure that there a way that I can view it and record it at the
> same time but I have not managed to work out how.  Any help would be
> much appreciated.

Run the cat in one terminal. Then use your favorite viewer to view the
file the cat produces in a second terminal. It should not matter that
the file is being appended to.

John

John

Re: pvr-150 streaming question [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 19 February 2010 14:52, John Drescher <drescherjm@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> My first post here as a newcomer to the field of video capture.
>>> I have installed a Hauppauge pvr-150 in my PC running Ubuntu 9.10. I
>>> wish to use it to convert my stack of video tapes to DVD before my
>>> ageing video recorder dies.
>>>
>>> With a bit of googling I learnt that I should install ivtv-utils  and
>>> am able to set the input channel to the composite i/p with
>>> v4l2-ctl --set-input=2
>>>
>>> I was then very pleased to find that, due to the hard work of many out
>>> there over the years, I am able to type
>>> cat /dev/video0 > myfile.mpg
>>> to capture the signal to an mpg file, or
>>> vlc pvr:///dev/video0 to see it live in VLC
>>>
>>> I am sure that there a way that I can view it and record it at the
>>> same time but I have not managed to work out how.  Any help would be
>>> much appreciated.
>>>

>> Run the cat in one terminal. Then use your favorite viewer to view the
>> file the cat produces in a second terminal. It should not matter that
>> the file is being appended to.
>
> Well that is nice and simple, I should have thought of that.  Is there
> a solution that would allow me to pause the recording to skip adverts
> for example?

mythtv

www.mythtv.org

John

Re: pvr-150 streaming question [ In reply to ]
On 19 February 2010 16:03, John Drescher <drescherjm@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> Run the cat in one terminal. Then use your favorite viewer to view the
>>> file the cat produces in a second terminal. It should not matter that
>>> the file is being appended to.
>>
>> Well that is nice and simple, I should have thought of that.  Is there
>> a solution that would allow me to pause the recording to skip adverts
>> for example?
>>
> mythtv
>
> www.mythtv.org

I did look at that but it seemed to be a bit of overkill for
converting video tapes. I can't use the TV on the pvr-150 as we only
have digital TV here. Never mind, I can post process the files if I
think it is worth the effort.

Many thanks for the help

Colin

Re: pvr-150 streaming question [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 14:35 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> Hi
>
> My first post here as a newcomer to the field of video capture.
> I have installed a Hauppauge pvr-150 in my PC running Ubuntu 9.10. I
> wish to use it to convert my stack of video tapes to DVD before my
> ageing video recorder dies.
>
> With a bit of googling I learnt that I should install ivtv-utils and
> am able to set the input channel to the composite i/p with
> v4l2-ctl --set-input=2

So I've wondered about this control:

$ v4l2-ctl -L

[...]
stream_type (menu) : min=0 max=5 default=0 value=0 flags=update
0: MPEG-2 Program Stream
2: MPEG-1 System Stream
3: MPEG-2 DVD-compatible Stream
4: MPEG-1 VCD-compatible Stream
5: MPEG-2 SVCD-compatible Stream
[...]

I suspect, if you want to make actual DVD's playable by a DVD player,
you may wish to set the stream_type=3 before starting the capture.

I don't know for sure, as I have no personal experience.

Regards,
Andy

Re: pvr-150 streaming question [ In reply to ]
On 20 February 2010 15:55, Andy Walls <awalls@radix.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 14:35 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> My first post here as a newcomer to the field of video capture.
>> I have installed a Hauppauge pvr-150 in my PC running Ubuntu 9.10. I
>> wish to use it to convert my stack of video tapes to DVD before my
>> ageing video recorder dies.
>>
>> With a bit of googling I learnt that I should install ivtv-utils  and
>> am able to set the input channel to the composite i/p with
>> v4l2-ctl --set-input=2
>
> So I've wondered about this control:
>
> $ v4l2-ctl -L
>
> [...]
>                    stream_type (menu) : min=0 max=5 default=0 value=0 flags=update
>                                0: MPEG-2 Program Stream
>                                2: MPEG-1 System Stream
>                                3: MPEG-2 DVD-compatible Stream
>                                4: MPEG-1 VCD-compatible Stream
>                                5: MPEG-2 SVCD-compatible Stream
> [...]
>
> I suspect, if you want to make actual DVD's playable by a DVD player,
> you may wish to set the stream_type=3 before starting the capture.

I had not seen this previously. I am using DeVeDe to make a DVD iso
file rather than putting the mpeg file directly on the DVD and this
works ok. Following some intensive googling I tried setting the type
to 3 and other settings as noted in
http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto:ivtv_for_dvdauthor with the hope
that in DeVeDe I could tell it that it was a DVD compatible mpeg so
that it did not need to re-encode it. No luck with this however,
DeVeDe fails generating the iso.

Colin

Re: pvr-150 streaming question [ In reply to ]
Andy Walls wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 14:35 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> My first post here as a newcomer to the field of video capture.
>> I have installed a Hauppauge pvr-150 in my PC running Ubuntu 9.10. I
>> wish to use it to convert my stack of video tapes to DVD before my
>> ageing video recorder dies.
>>
>> With a bit of googling I learnt that I should install ivtv-utils and
>> am able to set the input channel to the composite i/p with
>> v4l2-ctl --set-input=2
>
> So I've wondered about this control:
>
> $ v4l2-ctl -L
>
> [...]
> stream_type (menu) : min=0 max=5 default=0 value=0 flags=update
> 0: MPEG-2 Program Stream
> 2: MPEG-1 System Stream
> 3: MPEG-2 DVD-compatible Stream
> 4: MPEG-1 VCD-compatible Stream
> 5: MPEG-2 SVCD-compatible Stream
> [...]
>
> I suspect, if you want to make actual DVD's playable by a DVD player,
> you may wish to set the stream_type=3 before starting the capture.
>
> I don't know for sure, as I have no personal experience.

Yes, I can confirm that using that stream type for recordings produces mpg files with the VOBUs required for DVD-Video, UNLESS you also have VBI enabled (which adds the driver's private stream with sliced VBI data). But if you don't want to capture closed captions or teletext and don't enable VBI (forget the control for that), you can give the recorded file to a patched version of dvdauthor and it will be happy. Just be sure the resolution and bit stream are compatible with DVD standards. You can find out more about the patch for dvdauthor here:
http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto:ivtv_for_dvdauthor

FWIW, this works with recordings from the cx18 driver (for HVR-1600s), too.

HTH,
Helen

Re: pvr-150 streaming question [ In reply to ]
On 20 February 2010 17:14, faginbagin <mythtv@hbuus.com> wrote:

> Andy Walls wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 14:35 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> My first post here as a newcomer to the field of video capture.
>>> I have installed a Hauppauge pvr-150 in my PC running Ubuntu 9.10. I
>>> wish to use it to convert my stack of video tapes to DVD before my
>>> ageing video recorder dies.
>>>
>>> With a bit of googling I learnt that I should install ivtv-utils  and
>>> am able to set the input channel to the composite i/p with
>>> v4l2-ctl --set-input=2
>>
>> So I've wondered about this control:
>>
>> $ v4l2-ctl -L
>>
>> [...]
>>                    stream_type (menu) : min=0 max=5 default=0 value=0
>> flags=update
>>                                0: MPEG-2 Program Stream
>>                                2: MPEG-1 System Stream
>>                                3: MPEG-2 DVD-compatible Stream
>>                                4: MPEG-1 VCD-compatible Stream
>>                                5: MPEG-2 SVCD-compatible Stream
>> [...]
>>
>> I suspect, if you want to make actual DVD's playable by a DVD player,
>> you may wish to set the stream_type=3 before starting the capture.
>>
>> I don't know for sure, as I have no personal experience.
>>

> Yes, I can confirm that using that stream type for recordings produces mpg
> files with the VOBUs required for DVD-Video, UNLESS you also have VBI
> enabled (which adds the driver's private stream with sliced VBI data). But
> if you don't want to capture closed captions or teletext and don't enable
> VBI (forget the control for that), you can give the recorded file to a
> patched version of dvdauthor and it will be happy. Just be sure the
> resolution and bit stream are compatible with DVD standards. You can find
> out more about the patch for dvdauthor here:
> http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto:ivtv_for_dvdauthor

I thought I would give that a go but the patch for dvdauthor supposed
to be at http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/File:Dvdauthor-0.6.14-ivtv-patch.txt
seems to have gone. Does anyone know where I can get it?

Colin

Re: pvr-150 streaming question [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 21:33 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> On 20 February 2010 17:14, faginbagin <mythtv@hbuus.com> wrote:
> >

> > Andy Walls wrote:
> >>
> >> On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 14:35 +0000, Colin Law wrote:

> >> So I've wondered about this control:
> >>
> >> $ v4l2-ctl -L
> >>
> >> [...]
> >> stream_type (menu) : min=0 max=5 default=0 value=0
> >> flags=update
> >> 0: MPEG-2 Program Stream
> >> 2: MPEG-1 System Stream
> >> 3: MPEG-2 DVD-compatible Stream
> >> 4: MPEG-1 VCD-compatible Stream
> >> 5: MPEG-2 SVCD-compatible Stream
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> I suspect, if you want to make actual DVD's playable by a DVD player,
> >> you may wish to set the stream_type=3 before starting the capture.
> >>
> >> I don't know for sure, as I have no personal experience.
> >>

> > Yes, I can confirm that using that stream type for recordings produces mpg
> > files with the VOBUs required for DVD-Video, UNLESS you also have VBI
> > enabled (which adds the driver's private stream with sliced VBI data). But
> > if you don't want to capture closed captions or teletext and don't enable
> > VBI (forget the control for that), you can give the recorded file to a
> > patched version of dvdauthor and it will be happy. Just be sure the
> > resolution and bit stream are compatible with DVD standards. You can find
> > out more about the patch for dvdauthor here:
> > http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto:ivtv_for_dvdauthor
>
> I thought I would give that a go but the patch for dvdauthor supposed
> to be at http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/File:Dvdauthor-0.6.14-ivtv-patch.txt
> seems to have gone. Does anyone know where I can get it?

It looks like the patch is fetchable from this thread:

http://ivtvdriver.org/pipermail/ivtv-users/2008-May/008284.html

Specifically, this message:
http://ivtvdriver.org/pipermail/ivtv-users/2008-May/008296.html

I'll try to look at what happened to the wiki file.

Regards,
Andy

Re: pvr-150 streaming question [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 17:08 -0500, Andy Walls wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 21:33 +0000, Colin Law wrote:

> > > Yes, I can confirm that using that stream type for recordings produces mpg
> > > files with the VOBUs required for DVD-Video, UNLESS you also have VBI
> > > enabled (which adds the driver's private stream with sliced VBI data). But
> > > if you don't want to capture closed captions or teletext and don't enable
> > > VBI (forget the control for that), you can give the recorded file to a
> > > patched version of dvdauthor and it will be happy. Just be sure the
> > > resolution and bit stream are compatible with DVD standards. You can find
> > > out more about the patch for dvdauthor here:
> > > http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto:ivtv_for_dvdauthor
> >
> > I thought I would give that a go but the patch for dvdauthor supposed
> > to be at http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/File:Dvdauthor-0.6.14-ivtv-patch.txt
> > seems to have gone. Does anyone know where I can get it?
>
> It looks like the patch is fetchable from this thread:
>
> http://ivtvdriver.org/pipermail/ivtv-users/2008-May/008284.html
>
> Specifically, this message:
> http://ivtvdriver.org/pipermail/ivtv-users/2008-May/008296.html
>

> I'll try to look at what happened to the wiki file.

Hmm it at least disappeared before Nov 2009:

http://old.nabble.com/ivtv-patches-gone--td26250967.html

Here's a version Martin said was the latest in that thread:

http://old.nabble.com/attachment/26258278/0/dvdauthor-0.6.14-ivtv-patch-0.2

-Andy

Re: pvr-150 streaming question [ In reply to ]
On 21/02/10 10:33, Colin Law wrote:
> On 20 February 2010 17:14, faginbagin<mythtv@hbuus.com> wrote:
>> Yes, I can confirm that using that stream type for recordings produces mpg
>> files with the VOBUs required for DVD-Video, UNLESS you also have VBI
>> enabled (which adds the driver's private stream with sliced VBI data). But
>> if you don't want to capture closed captions or teletext and don't enable
>> VBI (forget the control for that), you can give the recorded file to a
>> patched version of dvdauthor and it will be happy. Just be sure the
>> resolution and bit stream are compatible with DVD standards. You can find
>> out more about the patch for dvdauthor here:
>> http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto:ivtv_for_dvdauthor
>
> I thought I would give that a go but the patch for dvdauthor supposed
> to be at http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/File:Dvdauthor-0.6.14-ivtv-patch.txt
> seems to have gone. Does anyone know where I can get it?

You might be interested in Lawrence D'Oliveiro's fork of dvdauthor at
http://wiki.github.com/ldo/dvdauthor/

He has been doing some tidy up work on dvdauthor as development by the
primary author has been stalled since 2007.

I supplied Lawrence with some mpeg files recorded from a Hauppauge
pvr350 card early this year so he could evaluate the ivtv patch for
dvdauthor. Looking at his git master it appears he hasn't yet included
the patch. I'll chase him up to find out if and when he will be
including the patch in dvdauthor.

Cheers
Michael.

Re: pvr-150 streaming question [ In reply to ]
On 21/02/10 13:14, Michael Cree wrote:
> On 21/02/10 10:33, Colin Law wrote:
>> I thought I would give that a go but the patch for dvdauthor supposed
>> to be at
>> http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/File:Dvdauthor-0.6.14-ivtv-patch.txt
>> seems to have gone. Does anyone know where I can get it?

> You might be interested in Lawrence D'Oliveiro's fork of dvdauthor at
> http://wiki.github.com/ldo/dvdauthor/

I have contacted Lawrence. Regarding the ivtv patch he says:

Martin was kind enough to dig it up and repost it to the
dvdauthor-developer list here
<http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=e9d7626e001c4a092ad0942eaf66d73a%40crossleys.biz>.

And about including the patch in dvdauthor:

It”s on my to-do list. The patch seems to do at least a couple of
different things, which I think should be separated.

Cheers
Michael.

Re: pvr-150 streaming question [ In reply to ]
> Hmm it at least disappeared before Nov 2009:
>
> http://old.nabble.com/ivtv-patches-gone--td26250967.html
>
> Here's a version Martin said was the latest in that thread:
>
> http://old.nabble.com/attachment/26258278/0/dvdauthor-0.6.14-ivtv-patch-0.2
>

> -Andy

Just wanted to confirm that the patch Andy tracked down is the one I used against dvdauthor-0.6.14 and that it's the one that worked for me.

HTH,
Helen

Re: pvr-150 streaming question [ In reply to ]
Hi Colin,

Colin Law wrote:
> I had not seen this previously. I am using DeVeDe to make a DVD iso
> file rather than putting the mpeg file directly on the DVD and this
> works ok. Following some intensive googling I tried setting the type
> to 3 and other settings as noted in
> http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto:ivtv_for_dvdauthor with the hope
> that in DeVeDe I could tell it that it was a DVD compatible mpeg so
> that it did not need to re-encode it. No luck with this however,
> DeVeDe fails generating the iso.

I believe DeVeDe depends on dvdauthor, so if you patch dvdauthor and make sure it's the first dvdauthor in your PATH, DeVeDe should work.

HTH,
Helen

Re: pvr-150 streaming question [ In reply to ]
On 21 February 2010 22:53, Helen Buus <buus@hbuus.com> wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
> Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> I had not seen this previously.  I am using DeVeDe to make a DVD iso
>> file rather than putting the mpeg file directly on the DVD and this
>> works ok.  Following some intensive googling I tried setting the type
>> to 3 and other settings as noted in
>> http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto:ivtv_for_dvdauthor with the hope
>> that in DeVeDe I could tell it that it was a DVD compatible mpeg so
>> that it did not need to re-encode it.  No luck with this however,
>> DeVeDe fails generating the iso.
>
> I believe DeVeDe depends on dvdauthor, so if you patch dvdauthor and make
> sure it's the first dvdauthor in your PATH, DeVeDe should work.

Understood, thanks. I am trying to get it going without using DeVeDe
now so hopefully it will not be an issue.

Colin