Mailing List Archive

losing horizontal sync here and there
Hi,

openSUSE 11.2 x86_64, ivtv info:

dmesg | grep ivtv
[ 5.305243] ivtv: Start initialization, version 1.4.1
[ 5.306355] ivtv0: Initializing card 0
[ 5.306362] ivtv0: Autodetected Hauppauge card (cx23416 based)
[ 5.306889] ivtv 0000:01:09.0: PCI INT A -> Link[APC2] -> GSI 17
(level, low) -> IRQ 17
[ 5.307155] ivtv i2c driver #0: Test OK
[ 5.378746] ivtv0: Autodetected Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150
[ 5.407062] cx25840 1-0044: cx25843-23 found @ 0x88 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
[ 5.650445] tuner 1-0043: chip found @ 0x86 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
[ 5.661851] tuner 1-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
[ 5.680768] wm8775 1-001b: chip found @ 0x36 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
[ 5.700874] IRQ 17/ivtv0: IRQF_DISABLED is not guaranteed on shared IRQs
[ 5.701443] ivtv0: Registered device video0 for encoder MPG (4096 kB)
[ 5.701474] ivtv0: Registered device video32 for encoder YUV (2048 kB)
[ 5.701502] ivtv0: Registered device vbi0 for encoder VBI (1024 kB)
[ 5.701530] ivtv0: Registered device video24 for encoder PCM (320 kB)
[ 5.701556] ivtv0: Registered device radio0 for encoder radio
[ 5.701559] ivtv0: Initialized card: Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150
[ 5.701611] ivtv: End initialization
[ 6.323024] ivtv 0000:01:09.0: firmware: requesting v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw
[ 6.347640] ivtv0: Loaded v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw firmware (376836 bytes)
[ 6.547135] ivtv0: Encoder revision: 0x02060039

I have two PVR 150 cards. Both exhibit the same problem. I have tried
both antenna, and composite, inputs. Both exhibit the same problem.....

Things are working pretty well. I'm capturing video from old VHS and
camcorder tapes. EXCEPT I get these glitches every now and then in the
video that looks like a hsync loss. If I watch these same glitchty
sections of the tapes on a regular old TV (hooked up to the VCR), there
is NO glitch. NO sign of any trouble with the video. It seems to occur
as the camera moves rapidly.

I have a sample clip here that shows what happens:
http://forceway.com/samm/cap1_short.mpg

Any settings I can change or anything? Help!
thanks,
-john

Re: losing horizontal sync here and there [ In reply to ]
Nobody knows any magic IOCTRLs or GPIOs I could fiddle with?

-john

Re: losing horizontal sync here and there [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2010-02-21 at 16:39 -0900, s2_johnm wrote:
> Nobody knows any magic IOCTRLs or GPIOs I could fiddle with?
>
> -john

The CX25843 does't appear to like poorly formed sync's from VCRs.

But if you want to muck around with settings, here's a message (and
thread) you may find interesting:

http://ivtvdriver.org/pipermail/ivtv-users/2009-December/009710.html

Regards,
Andy

Re: losing horizontal sync here and there [ In reply to ]
On 02/21/2010 06:00 PM, Andy Walls wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-02-21 at 16:39 -0900, s2_johnm wrote:
>
>> Nobody knows any magic IOCTRLs or GPIOs I could fiddle with?
>>
>> -john
>>
> The CX25843 does't appear to like poorly formed sync's from VCRs.
>
> But if you want to muck around with settings, here's a message (and
> thread) you may find interesting:
>
> http://ivtvdriver.org/pipermail/ivtv-users/2009-December/009710.html
>

> Regards,
> Andy

Thanks, looks like exactly the same troubles as I am having. I may have
to buy different capture card then.

-johnm

Re: losing horizontal sync here and there [ In reply to ]
s2_johnm wrote:

>> The CX25843 does't appear to like poorly formed sync's from VCRs.
>>
>> But if you want to muck around with settings, here's a message (and
>> thread) you may find interesting:
>>
>> http://ivtvdriver.org/pipermail/ivtv-users/2009-December/009710.html
>
> Thanks, looks like exactly the same troubles as I am having. I may
> have to buy different capture card then.

Having started the above-refenced thread, I firmly believe that the solution
lies somewhere in the 289-page pdf document that describes the registers,
their possible settings, etc.

Since I had a Feb. 20 product delivery date (a family re-union) that I
couldn't meet with the Hauppage cards (a PVR-500, PVR-150 and HVR-1600), I
chose, like you, to get a different capture mechanism, a USB ConvertX AV100U
A/V Capture device that came with a Windows XP box that I got from
Craigslist for $50, about the same price for a Radio Shack USB capture and
its software.

I hate using M$ products, but the capture was adequate, then I transferred
the mpeg2 files to a Linux CentOS venue where I could use kino, ffmpeg and
qdvdauthor to edit and build the finished DVD products that were gratefully
received by all family members at the re-union.

Only two relatives were savvy to the fact that I had to eat my words about
Linux having the capabilities to do anything imaginable, but I'll revisit
that fact after having some time to read and figure out the pdf file about
the Hauppauge / Conexant registers, and eventually finding which particular
chip register setting solves the problem.

Re: losing horizontal sync here and there [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Tony Ross <tross.technical@starband.net> wrote:
> Only two relatives were savvy to the fact that I had to eat my words about
> Linux having the capabilities to do anything imaginable, but I'll revisit
> that fact after having some time to read and figure out the pdf file about
> the Hauppauge / Conexant registers, and eventually finding which particular
> chip register setting solves the problem.

Is this the issue where there is occasional horizontal tearing with
VHS sources? we hit the same thing on the tvp5150 decoder a couple of
months ago, and it only required me to poke one register to fix. I
suspect there is probably something comparable for the cx25843.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

Re: losing horizontal sync here and there [ In reply to ]
Devin Heitmueller wrote:

>> Only two relatives were savvy to the fact that I had to eat my words
>> about Linux having the capabilities to do anything imaginable, but
>> I'll revisit that fact after having some time to read and figure out
>> the pdf file about the Hauppauge / Conexant registers, and
>> eventually finding which particular chip register setting solves the
>> problem.
>
> Is this the issue where there is occasional horizontal tearing with
> VHS sources? we hit the same thing on the tvp5150 decoder a couple of
> months ago, and it only required me to poke one register to fix. I
> suspect there is probably something comparable for the cx25843.

Yes, after Andy's description I'm certain there is a solution there
somewhere. Not being conversant in such technical matters it'll take me some
time to digest the 289-page document and figure out which registers to
experiment with, and indeed, how to do so, as it sounds like a many-headed
beast.