Mailing List Archive

PVR500 reboots my system when /dev/video0 is accessed
Hi All,

Description of the problem:
When I do a cat /dev/video0 > ~/test.mpg my system reboots. A few seconds
after hitting enter I see the BIOS screen. This is reproducable every time.

I have a second PC here (athlon 1770+, Nvidia FX5700 agp). I put the Harddrive
and the PVR500 in this second system with the same result, cat /dev/video0
reboots the system.

Software versions:
Mythbuntu 9.04 + updates
Linux tv 2.6.28-17-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 1 18:57:07 UTC 2009 i686
GNU/Linux
udev version 141

Hardware:
P3-667 512MB ram, 8GB hdd,
hauppauge PVR-500
nvidia Geforce 2 MX-400 PCI

Output from the following commands is attached:
dmesg lspci lspci -v lspci -vv tail -n 500 /var/log/kern.log

on the troubleshooting page, i see my udev version is too new:
"
For some unknown reason people experience locks with udev version >087. At
this moment there is no work around other then downgrading to <=udev-087

Some people have found disabling udev coldplugging and placing ivtv in modules
autoload file is a workable solution.
"

How to I downgrade the version of udev? How can I disable udev coldplugging?

Best regards,
Cedric