Mailing List Archive

No Picture/Audio with PVR-150
Hi List,
I am trying to build Linux Media Center with Tuner card removed from
MyTellyHD (Interact-TV). MyTellyHD used to work with this tuner card.
However on my Linux machine (Fedora 12 beta) I do not get picture or
sound when I do 'mplayer /dev/video0'. I just get black screen. I am
using composite signal output from Digital Satellite Box (works on
TV).
v4l2-ctl -I: Video input : 2 (Composite 1)
Uname-r: 2.6.31.5-117.fc12.x86_64
lspci:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM
Controller (rev 10)

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 10)

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express
Port 1 (rev 01)

00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express
Port 2 (rev 01)

00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)

00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)

00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)

00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)

00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2
EHCI Controller (rev 01)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC
Interface Bridge (rev 01)

00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family)
SATA IDE Controller (rev 01)

00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 01)

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. Device 1062 (rev c0)

03:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 04)

03:00.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port (rev 04)

03:01.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16
(CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
dmesg |grep ivtv:
ivtv: Start initialization, version 1.4.1

ivtv0: Initializing card 0

ivtv0: Unknown card: vendor/device: [4444:0016]

ivtv0: subsystem vendor/device: [1540:9673]

ivtv0: cx23416 based

ivtv0: Defaulting to Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150 card

ivtv0: Please mail the vendor/device and subsystem vendor/device IDs
and what kind of

ivtv0: Prefix your subject line with [UNKNOWN IVTV CARD].

ivtv 0000:03:01.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 19

ivtv0: Unreasonably low latency timer, setting to 64 (was 32)

ivtv0: Invalid EEPROM

cx25840 1-0044: cx25843-24 found @ 0x88 (ivtv i2c driver #0)

tuner 1-0043: chip found @ 0x86 (ivtv i2c driver #0)

tuner 1-0060: chip found @ 0xc0 (ivtv i2c driver #0)

wm8775 1-001b: chip found @ 0x36 (ivtv i2c driver #0)

IRQ 19/ivtv0: IRQF_DISABLED is not guaranteed on shared IRQs

Nov 7 13:18:02 localhost kernel: ivtv0: Registered device video0 for
encoder MPG (4096 kB)

Nov 7 13:18:02 localhost kernel: ivtv0: Registered device video32 for
encoder YUV (2048 kB)

Nov 7 13:18:02 localhost kernel: ivtv0: Registered device vbi0 for
encoder VBI (1024 kB)

Nov 7 13:18:02 localhost kernel: ivtv0: Registered device video24 for
encoder PCM (320 kB)

Nov 7 13:18:02 localhost kernel: ivtv0: Registered device radio0 for
encoder radio

Nov 7 13:18:02 localhost kernel: ivtv0: Initialized card: Hauppauge
WinTV PVR-150

Nov 7 13:18:02 localhost kernel: ivtv: End initialization

Nov 7 13:18:02 localhost kernel: ivtv 0000:03:01.0: firmware:
requesting v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw

Nov 7 13:18:02 localhost kernel: ivtv0: Loaded v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw
firmware (376836 bytes)

Nov 7 13:18:02 localhost kernel: ivtv0: Encoder revision: 0x02060039

I see suspicious message in dmesg - “Invalid EEPROM”. Is that a problem?
Any help or pointer would be much appreciated.

Rajesh Padalia

Re: No Picture/Audio with PVR-150 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2009-11-07 at 14:30 +0300, Rajesh Padalia wrote:
> Hi List,
> I am trying to build Linux Media Center with Tuner card removed from
> MyTellyHD (Interact-TV). MyTellyHD used to work with this tuner card.
> However on my Linux machine (Fedora 12 beta) I do not get picture or
> sound when I do 'mplayer /dev/video0'. I just get black screen. I am
> using composite signal output from Digital Satellite Box (works on
> TV).
> v4l2-ctl -I: Video input : 2 (Composite 1)
> Uname-r: 2.6.31.5-117.fc12.x86_64

> 03:01.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16
> (CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
> dmesg |grep ivtv:
> ivtv: Start initialization, version 1.4.1
>
> ivtv0: Initializing card 0
>
> ivtv0: Unknown card: vendor/device: [4444:0016]
>
> ivtv0: subsystem vendor/device: [1540:9673]
>
> ivtv0: cx23416 based

This card is unknown to the kernel's ivtv driver.

It appears it is a Provideo Multimedia PV-967C a card for which I can
find almost no information except for a low-resolution picture on this
page:

http://www.nucleuscomputer.com.au/provideo/Multimedia.htm

It has no analog tuner, a CX23416 chip, and two other chips that I
cannot make out. Only two other cards supported by the kernel's ivtv
driver are like this, and neither one of them looks like the PV-967C.

You are an owner of a MyTellyHD, and I believe you have a modified Linux
kernel on that device. *If* that is the case, under the terms of the
GPL, *you* are entitled to the source code modified by Interact-TV that
corresponds to the binaries that Interact-TV distributed.

Please verify that your unit runs a linux kernel, and then politely
request of Interact-TV that they provide you with the modified linux
kernel source code, per the GPL. If they balk, tell them that all you
really want in the modifications made to the kernel for the MPEG capture
card with PCI id 1540:9673 (which I think is a Provideo Multimedia
PV-967C).

If you can easily obtain those modifications, then supporting your card
will be easy. If you cannot, then I'll need high resolution pictures of
the card, and we'll have to go back and forth through a series of
testing and patches on the ivtv-devel list.

> I see suspicious message in dmesg - “Invalid EEPROM”. Is that a problem?

No. Your card's PCI ID, and hence configuration, is unknown to the ivtv
driver.

> Any help or pointer would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Andy

Re: No Picture/Audio with PVR-150 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2009-11-07 at 08:53 -0500, Andy Walls wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-11-07 at 14:30 +0300, Rajesh Padalia wrote:

> You are an owner of a MyTellyHD, and I believe you have a modified Linux
> kernel on that device. *If* that is the case, under the terms of the
> GPL, *you* are entitled to the source code modified by Interact-TV that
> corresponds to the binaries that Interact-TV distributed.
>
> Please verify that your unit runs a linux kernel, and then politely
> request of Interact-TV that they provide you with the modified linux
> kernel source code, per the GPL. If they balk, tell them that all you
> really want in the modifications made to the kernel for the MPEG capture
> card with PCI id 1540:9673 (which I think is a Provideo Multimedia
> PV-967C).

Here's an excerpt from Interact-TV's software license agreement:

"Open Source Components:The Telly contains numerous software components,
each of which was written and copyrighted individually. Some of these
software components are licensed pursuant to the GNU General Public
License GPL that permits you to copy, modify and redistribute the
software, in both source and binary code forms. To request more about
the open source software modules included in Telly, please send an email
to: info@interact-tv.com Please review the documentation that
accompanies each source package for specific copyright information for
that component. A copy of the GNU GPL can be obtained from www.gnu.org"

So it looks like you should send the email to: info@interact-tv.com .

Regards,
Andy

Re: No Picture/Audio with PVR-150 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Andy Walls <awalls@radix.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-11-07 at 08:53 -0500, Andy Walls wrote:
>> On Sat, 2009-11-07 at 14:30 +0300, Rajesh Padalia wrote:
>
>> You are an owner of a MyTellyHD, and I believe you have a modified Linux
>> kernel on that device.  *If* that is the case, under the terms of the
>> GPL, *you* are entitled to the source code modified by Interact-TV that
>> corresponds to the binaries that Interact-TV distributed.
>>
>> Please verify that your unit runs a linux kernel, and then politely
>> request of Interact-TV that they provide you with the modified linux
>> kernel source code, per the GPL.  If they balk, tell them that all you
>> really want in the modifications made to the kernel for the MPEG capture
>> card with PCI id 1540:9673 (which I think is a Provideo Multimedia
>> PV-967C).
>
> Here's an excerpt from Interact-TV's software license agreement:
>
> "Open Source Components:The Telly contains numerous software components,
> each of which was written and copyrighted individually. Some of these
> software components are licensed pursuant to the GNU General Public
> License GPL that permits you to copy, modify and redistribute the
> software, in both source and binary code forms. To request more about
> the open source software modules included in Telly, please send an email
> to: info@interact-tv.com Please review the documentation that
> accompanies each source package for specific copyright information for
> that component. A copy of the GNU GPL can be obtained from www.gnu.org"
>

> So it looks like you should send the email to: info@interact-tv.com .
>

> Regards,
> Andy

Thanks Andy,
I have already sent email to Interact-TV, I will update list when I
get some response from them.
Rajesh