If I do the (make menuconfig ; make; make install ) with the CX18 set is it likely to cause any disruptions to existing drivers (including V4L components, etc..?)

If anybody has experience working that they could lend their opinon on the possibilty of making this work, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you in advance

Re: cx18 questions [ In reply to ]
I currently run MythTV with a PVR-350 on a Fedora Core 4 installation running on a 1ghz system, with a front-end configured as well. It has been pretty stable for years, and the only thing I've had to change was when MythTV updated to handle SchedulesDirect, then I compiled a custom version for my installation and voila all is well. I am considering getting an HVR-1600 card to add to the system as a secondary-cable-tv / tertiary-OTA via ATSC pair. I'm trying to see if it would be worthwhile and possible, before I
try to put together money to get the HVR-1600 and put forward the effort
to try and make it work. However, I do have some questions I'm hoping that somebody can please give me some useful input on.

Is it possible to compile the latest CX18 drivers and install them without overwriting my existing ivtv 0.70 driver set?
If I do the (make menuconfig ; make; make install ) with the CX18 set is it likely to cause any disruptions to existing drivers (including V4L components, etc..?)

If anybody has experience working that they could lend their opinon on the possibilty of making this work, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you in advance

I forgot to mention, my kernel is 2.6.17-1.2142_FC4

Re: cx18 questions [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 16:06 -0800, G.M. Humfrey wrote:
> I currently run MythTV with a PVR-350 on a Fedora Core 4 installation
> running on a 1ghz system, with a front-end configured as well. It has
> been pretty stable for years, and the only thing I've had to change
> was when MythTV updated to handle SchedulesDirect, then I compiled a
> custom version for my installation and voila all is well. I am
> considering getting an HVR-1600 card to add to the system as a
> secondary-cable-tv / tertiary-OTA via ATSC pair. I'm trying to see
> if it would be worthwhile and possible, before I
> try to put together money to get the HVR-1600 and put forward the
> effort
> to try and make it work. However, I do have some questions I'm hoping
> that somebody can please give me some useful input on.
>
> Is it possible to compile the latest CX18 drivers and install them
> without overwriting my existing ivtv 0.70 driver set?

No. Before you do a 'make install' you'll have to backup your kernel
modules. So I'd just back up all of

/lib/modules/`uname -r`

> If I do the (make menuconfig ; make; make install ) with the CX18 set
> is it likely to cause any disruptions to existing drivers (including
> V4L components, etc..?)

The latest v4l-dvb only compiles on kernels from a certain version
forward. The kernel FC-4 uses may be so old, that things won't compile.

And yes the install will replace you tuner drivers, core v4l modules,
dvb modules, etc.

The HVR-1600 requires at least these modules:

cx18 cx2341x v4l2_common videodev i2c_algo_bit i2c_core
dvb_core mxl5005s s5h1409 tuner_simple tuner_types tuner
tveeprom cs5345

and maybe one of the tdaxxx modules.

ivtv needs a subset of the above, plus others.

> If anybody has experience working that they could lend their opinon on
> the possibilty of making this work, I would appreciate hearing from
> you.

For a working cx18 driver and HVR-1600, I'm almost certain that you'll
need a newer kernel than the one that came with FC-4 when it went
end-of-life.

Regards,
Andy

Re: cx18 questions [ In reply to ]
Andy,
Thank you very much for your answers ; that does make things quite a bit clearer.

Do you know please if the ivtv sections that the cx18 set replaces would be still likely to work? I would think so, but would appreciate your opinion on the matter.

Thanks again for your advise!

Re: cx18 questions [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 19:52 -0800, G.M. Humfrey wrote:
> Andy,
> Thank you very much for your answers ; that does make things quite a
> bit clearer.
>
> Do you know please if the ivtv sections that the cx18 set replaces
> would be still likely to work? I would think so, but would
> appreciate your opinion on the matter.

No they won't. So much has changed that I know it will not work.

It's never a good idea to mix old and new modules for a subsystem (i.e.
v4l-dvb) anyway.

If you really want to try, I would suggest building as much of the
v4l-dvb driver tree as possible and installing it. Since that won't
upgrade the i2c_core module, it may not work at all in the end.

However, I have done a lot of linux tv card driver development, and I
wouldn't even bother to attempt it, though.

Some lower effort, higher probability of success options for you would
include:

a) Installing Fedora 10 or 11 and reinstalling MythTV from the rpmfusion
or ATrpms repos, or

b) Buying a used PVR-150 on eBay or from some other source and
installing it in your current system.

Regards,
Andy

Re: cx18 questions [ In reply to ]
Andy,
Again, thank you very much for your advise and input! I really appreciate hearing from somebody who is knowledgeable on this.

Thank you again!