Mailing List Archive

Call for Testers: HVR-1600 Improvements
Hello all,

If you are an HVR-1600 user who has noticed the ClearQAM tuning
performance under Linux was worse than under Windows, the following
should make you happy.

There is now a tree that contains various fixes for ClearQAM tuning.
These have been measured to put the SNR performance on-par with the
Windows driver.

http://www.kernellabs.com/hg/~dheitmueller/hvr-1600-perf-2

The goal is to submit this upstream, but before that we want to get
some people to try it out first and submit feedback on their
experience.

Thanks go out to ONELAN Limited for sponsoring this work!

Feedback (good or bad) on the KernelLabs blog or the linux-media
mailing list would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

Re: Call for Testers: HVR-1600 Improvements [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 10:28 -0400, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> If you are an HVR-1600 user who has noticed the ClearQAM tuning
> performance under Linux was worse than under Windows, the following
> should make you happy.
>
> There is now a tree that contains various fixes for ClearQAM tuning.
> These have been measured to put the SNR performance on-par with the
> Windows driver.
>
> http://www.kernellabs.com/hg/~dheitmueller/hvr-1600-perf-2
>
> The goal is to submit this upstream, but before that we want to get
> some people to try it out first and submit feedback on their
> experience.

All,

Please test for Devin if you can. I've reviewed the changes and they
look good to me.

I also know Devin will make things better or drive himself insane
trying. ;)

> Thanks go out to ONELAN Limited for sponsoring this work!

Thanks ONELAN for the support! And thanks Devin for finding time to
take on the job.

> Feedback (good or bad) on the KernelLabs blog or the linux-media
> mailing list would be appreciated.

http://www.kernellabs.com

Andy

Re: Call for Testers: HVR-1600 Improvements [ In reply to ]
wow, much better. my old snr was about 0x128, now it's 0x14c and i
haven't had any BER errors all night.

thanks,
daniel

Re: Call for Testers: HVR-1600 Improvements [ In reply to ]
Hi Andy,

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 7:45 PM, Andy Walls <awalls@radix.net> wrote:
> Please test for Devin if you can.  I've reviewed the changes and they
> look good to me.

Thanks for taking the time to review. As I'm sure you noticed, some
of the changes can probably be used for other boards as well, but at
least initially the goal is to get the 1600 working well without
breaking any other products.

> I also know Devin will make things better or drive himself insane
> trying. ;)

Oh Andy, you know me so well. ;-)

As of this point, we're seeing some mixed results - some are reporting
improved performance, and others are experiencing a regression. I'll
get it nailed down though.

Devin