with a Linux kernel 2.6.18-164.el5, it has a great many regularly-spaced
vertically-dashed lines.which degrade the images terribly.

Is there a fix for this problem please?

Re: cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg has poor image quality [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Tony Ross <tross.technical@starband.net>wrote:

> I find that when I view the "cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg" file that is
> created using a Hauppauge PVR-500 with the Samsung chips using ivtv-0.10.6
> with a Linux kernel 2.6.18-164.el5, it has a great many regularly-spaced
> vertically-dashed lines.which degrade the images terribly.
>
> Is there a fix for this problem please?

I have a PVR-500 (I think it has the Samsung tuners) that I've been using
successfully since about kernel 2.6.14. I don't have any specific ideas, but
a couple questions/suggestions. First, is there any reason you can't upgrade
to a newer kernel, in which the ivtv drivers are included? Next, are you
sure about the quality of your input signal to the board? Does it matter
which tuner you use (i.e., is it the same with /dev/video1)? Does it change
if you use the composite or S-video input (I think you can select them using
v4l2-ctl; not sure about your version, though, maybe ivtv-ctl instead?). I
probably won't be able to help you even if you provide these answers, but it
will provide more troubleshooting information for other people on this list
that might actually have a clue.

Karl
Re: cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg has poor image quality [ In reply to ]
Karl Newman wrote:

> I have a PVR-500 (I think it has the Samsung tuners) that I've been
> using successfully since about kernel 2.6.14. I don't have any
> specific ideas, but a couple questions/suggestions. First, is there
> any reason you can't upgrade to a newer kernel, in which the ivtv
> drivers are included?

I found some rpms for CentOS 5.3 at rpmforge that solved the problem, thank
you.