Mailing List Archive

CX18: Black and white horizontal line with HVR-1600
I have a HVR-1600 card and installed the latest driver. I use the latest Ubuntu distribution. Composite input works fine apart from an annoying black and white horizontal line at the top of the picture. I tried the --set-crop option using v4l2-ctl (v4l2-ctl --set-crop=top=1), but the responds I get is "VIDIOC_G_CROP: failed: Invalid argument".

Does anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of this line?

Thanks,
Joe

Re: CX18: Black and white horizontal line with HVR-1600 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 17:11 -0800, k niemand wrote:
> I have a HVR-1600 card and installed the latest driver. I use the
> latest Ubuntu distribution. Composite input works fine apart from an
> annoying black and white horizontal line at the top of the picture. I
> tried the --set-crop option using v4l2-ctl (v4l2-ctl
> --set-crop=top=1), but the responds I get is "VIDIOC_G_CROP: failed:
> Invalid argument".

The driver doesn't really support the crop ioctl. It provides a stub
that goes through some trivial motions, but then always returns -EINVAL.

> Does anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of this line?

Well, I have to fix the driver to get rid of it.

That line is part of the Vertical Blanking Interval; the white areas are
data that's being sent (like CC over NTSC or VPS or Teletext for other
video standards). The wrong values for vblank and vactive may be being
used in the cx18-av-core.c file.

Are you using PAL, SECAM, or NTSC? Is this a new problem, or one that
you have always had? What is the composite video source: a VCR, a cable
convertor, or something else?

Regards,
Andy

Re: CX18: Black and white horizontal line with HVR-1600 [ In reply to ]
I realized that my message got posted under the wrong thread...

I use NTSC and it always has been a problem (even when I use the tuner input). I use a cable box from my TV provider.

Any idea of when you have time to look at this issue? It sounds like you are very busy. Anything I can try?

Re: CX18: Black and white horizontal line with HVR-1600 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 17:40 -0800, k niemand wrote:
> I realized that my message got posted under the wrong thread...
>
> I use NTSC and it always has been a problem (even when I use the tuner
> input). I use a cable box from my TV provider.

Well I'd suggest the latest driver from the main repository:

http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb

and see if the problem still persists. If dmesg tells you right now
that you're using a cx18 driver less than version 1.0.4, things should
get better with the latest driver.

Instructions are here:

http://www.ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Cx18

but last I heard, Ubuntu does some distribution specific things that may
make compiling the latest v4l-dvb repo harder than it has to be. Sorry,
I won't be able to help with that if that's the case.

> Any idea of when you have time to look at this issue? It sounds like
> you are very busy.

I'm travelling off and on the the next two weeks, so I'm not sure when I
will be looking at it.

Regards,
Andy

Re: CX18: Black and white horizontal line with HVR-1600 [ In reply to ]
I had downloaded the lates one a couple of weeks ago, compiled it and installed it, but the problem is still there.

Thanks for all the work,
Joe

Re: CX18: Black and white horizontal line with HVR-1600 [ In reply to ]
Hi Andy,
I am residing in the US and I am using the HVR-1600 to watch some broadcasting from my cable box (using s-video). A while back you had mentioned that you were going to work on the VBI issue of this card. I saw that you had completed support for sliced and raw VBI for 625 line system. I recently downloaded a fresh v4l-dvb copy from the mercurial deposit and compiled it. On my system (NTSC, s-video from a cable box), I still see the black and white horizontal line on the top. In one of your earlier email you wrote:
"The wrong values for vblank and vactive may be being used in the cx18-av-core.c file."

Any idea what it would take to get this working for NTSC? I am more than happy to try out some changes.

Thanks a lot,

Re: CX18: Black and white horizontal line with HVR-1600 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 5:22 PM, k niemand <jknoedel@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Andy,
> I am residing in the US and I am using the HVR-1600 to watch some broadcasting from my cable box (using s-video). A while back you had mentioned that you were going to work on the VBI issue of this card. I saw that you had completed support for sliced and raw VBI for 625 line system. I recently downloaded a fresh v4l-dvb copy from the mercurial deposit and compiled it. On my system (NTSC, s-video from a cable box), I still see the black and white horizontal line on the top. In one of your earlier email you wrote:
> "The wrong values for vblank and vactive may be being used in the cx18-av-core.c file."
>
> Any idea what it would take to get this working for NTSC? I am more than happy to try out some changes.
>
> Thanks a lot,

It's worth noting that the addition of parsing for the VBI information
does not necessarily mean that the VBI no longer shows up in the
picture. Depending on the hardware, it is not uncommon for the VBI
info to still be present, and it is the application's responsibility
to implement "overscan" to crop out the VBI lines so they are not seen
by the user.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

Re: CX18: Black and white horizontal line with HVR-1600 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2010-01-20 at 14:22 -0800, k niemand wrote:
> Hi Andy,
> I am residing in the US and I am using the HVR-1600 to watch some broadcasting from my cable box (using s-video). A while back you had mentioned that you were going to work on the VBI issue of this card. I saw that you had completed support for sliced and raw VBI for 625 line system. I recently downloaded a fresh v4l-dvb copy from the mercurial deposit and compiled it. On my system (NTSC, s-video from a cable box), I still see the black and white horizontal line on the top. In one of your earlier email you wrote:
> "The wrong values for vblank and vactive may be being used in the
> cx18-av-core.c file."
>
> Any idea what it would take to get this working for NTSC? I am more
> than happy to try out some changes.

The latest changes for NTSC and other 525 line systems should already
have this fixed. Quite a while ago in fact:

changeset: 10446:d6f1e45f8167
user: Andy Walls <awalls@radix.net>
date: Sun Feb 08 20:40:04 2009 -0500
summary: cx18: Finally get sliced VBI working - for 525 line 60 Hz systems at least

The driver should not provide any visible NTSC VBI lines at the top of
the screen.

If you bypass the cable box, and connect the coaxial cable into the
analog RF tuner connector of the HVR-1600 and use the HVR-1600's tuner,
do you get the black and white VBI line at the top of the frame? Is it
on all channels?

Regards,
Andy

Re: CX18: Black and white horizontal line with HVR-1600 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 07:26 -0800, k niemand wrote:
> I connected the cable directly into the analog RF tuner and the lines
> disappeared. When I plugged the cable box output into the RF tuner the
> lines re-appeared (same when I plug it in via svideo). The cable box
> is a Motorola DCH70. Any idea what is going on and how this can be
> fixed?
>
> Thanks a lot for your help,
> Joe

(Please keep posts on the list.)

What can I say? Your digitial cable box is digitizing and then
reconstructing the analog signal. And it is doing something
non-standard or wrong in the reconstructed output:

1. wrong number of vertical sync pulses?
2. wrong number of VBI lines?
3. delaying active video by one line?

All of which a normal analog TV won't show you, because the first few
lines are not shown anyway.

I did a lot of research in fixing up the leacy code from cx25840 that is
in cx18-av-core. I had a broadcast NTSC signal source at the time I
fixed the VBI support. So, I'm sure I've got all the line timings right
for standard NTSC.

You can gripe to Motorola that their box doesn't do the right thing, but
I suspect they will not care.

The quickest and easiest solution is to use a splitter, bypassing the
cable box and not digitizing the signal twice, if the video atrifact
from Motorola bothers you.

I could look into fixing the CROPCAP ioctl() in cx18 if it is broken.
However, the interaction with VBI decoding could be complex and could
take me a lot of time.

Also, patches are welcome. If you've got some fixes for cx18-av-*.c,
cx18-ioctl.c, and cx18-vbi.c that fixes the problem without disrupting
VBI capture, that would speed a fix along. (The publicly available
CX25840/1/2/3 datasheet has most of the information you would need, with
the BT878A datasheet providing some additional information to fill in
the blanks.)

Regards,
Andy