means a permissions error but where should I start looking?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris
Error using links [ In reply to ]
"WebHostPals.com Chris" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> At http://www.e-rocs.com/construct/ I have the catalog home page.
>
> When I hit the "Enter as a customer" link I am taken to
> http://www.e-rocs.com/cgi-bin/construct/index.html
>
> Which produces the standard "500 Internal Server Error" I get the same thing
> when I hit any of the other links on the home page. I know this usually
> means a permissions error but where should I start looking?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Chris

In CatRoot/error.log

--
Mark Johnson
Akopia Professional Services
Error using links [ In reply to ]
Hello all!

I am experiencing the same issue. I am running RH 6.2, IC 4.6.1, and Perl
5.005. Upon examination of the server error log, the error stated was
"premature end of script errors". Normally, in a Perl script, I would start
commenting things out and debugging the script, but since /cgi-bin/construct
is compiled, I can't do that. The docs say "This usually means that your
HTTP server ran out of resources during the execution of the link program."
I can say with some certainty that this is not the issue on my server...
Anyone have any other ideas (apparently this isn't a rare scenario)???

Thanks!

Jason

Re:

-----

Error using links [ In reply to ]
G'day!

I have the same issues as Chris it seems. I was going to check the
catroot/error.log but it doesn't seem to be there. There is a log dir
inside the individual catalog dir, but it is empty. Am I losing it, or is
it possible for error.log to not exist in the catroot dir?

Thanks!

Jason

Error using links [ In reply to ]

------=_NextPart_000_00E3_01C074AB.A8D784A0

Hello,

I am pretty confident that I did not run out of resources either. I =
don't seem to have the catroot/error.log either, the same as Jason. =
Where could it be?=20
Thanks,
Chris
----- Original Message -----=20
[...]

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Hello,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I am pretty confident that I did not run out of resources either. I =
don't=20
seem to have the catroot/error.log either, the same as Jason. Where =
could it be?=20
</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks,</DIV>
<DIV>Chris</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
<A title=3Djason@itchoices.com =
href=3D"mailto:jason@itchoices.com">Jason Timm</A>=20
</DIV>
title=3Dinterchange-users@lists.akopia.com=20
=
href=3D"mailto:interchange-users@lists.akopia.com">interchange-users@list=
s.akopia.com</A>=20
</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, January 02, 2001 =
10:40=20
AM</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> RE: [ic] Error using =
links</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>Hello all!<BR><BR>I am experiencing the same =
issue.&nbsp; I am=20
running RH 6.2, IC 4.6.1, and Perl<BR>5.005.&nbsp; Upon examination of =
the=20
server error log, the error stated was<BR>"premature end of script=20
errors".&nbsp; Normally, in a Perl script, I would start<BR>commenting =
things=20
out and debugging the script, but since /cgi-bin/construct<BR>is =
compiled, I=20
can't do that.&nbsp; The docs say "This usually means that =
your<BR>HTTP server=20
ran out of resources during the execution of the link program."<BR>I =
can say=20
with some certainty that this is not the issue on my =
server...<BR>Anyone have=20
any other ideas (apparently this isn't a rare=20
=
scenario)???<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR><BR>Jason<BR><BR><BR>Re:<BR><BR>-----<BR><=
<A=20
=
href=3D"http://www.e-rocs.com/construct/">http://www.e-rocs.com/construct=
/</A> I=20
have the catalog home page.<BR><BR>When I hit the "Enter as a =
customer" link I=20
am taken to<BR><A=20
=
href=3D"http://www.e-rocs.com/cgi-bin/construct/index.html">http://www.e-=
rocs.com/cgi-bin/construct/index.html</A><BR><BR>Which=20
produces the standard "500 Internal Server Error" I get the same =
thing<BR>when=20
I hit any of the other links on the home page. I know this =
usually<BR>means a=20
permissions error but where should I start looking?<BR><BR>Thanks in =
advance=20
for any=20
=
help.<BR><BR>Chris<BR><BR>-----<BR><BR><BR>______________________________=

Error using links [ In reply to ]
At 10:23 AM 1/2/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>At http://www.e-rocs.com/construct/ I have the catalog home page.
>
>When I hit the "Enter as a customer" link I am taken to
>http://www.e-rocs.com/cgi-bin/construct/index.html
>
>Which produces the standard "500 Internal Server Error" I get the same thing
>when I hit any of the other links on the home page. I know this usually
>means a permissions error but where should I start looking?

Since the bad old days of MV3, whenever I have encountered this, it has
been an issue of the cgi-bin link file permissions. Telnet into your
server and check the perm's on the link file for your catalog. If they look
like this:

-rwxr-xr-x

try this command at the prompt:

chmod u+s filename

...substitute the name of your link file for filename. Conversely, if the
permissions look like this:

-rwsr-xr-x

try this command at the prompt:

chmod u-s filename

Most of the time this will solve the problem.

- Ed L.

New Media E.M.S. Software Solutions for Business
463 Main St., Suite D edl@newmediaems.com
Placerville, CA 95667 http://www.newmediaems.com
(530) 622-9421 (530) 622-9426 Fax
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free

Error using links [ In reply to ]
Hi...

I tried this, but to no avail. In fact, just for testing, I chmod 777'ed it
as well as +s. Still nothing. Anything else to try? Anyone?

Thanks.

Jason

RE:

-----

Error using links [ In reply to ]
Jason Timm wrote:

> Hi...
>
> I tried this, but to no avail. In fact, just for testing, I chmod 777'ed it
> as well as +s. Still nothing. Anything else to try? Anyone?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jason

Hmmm...someone has said, that the error.log is empty. Are in this file
no messages about any starting of the Interchange server? No
informations about the start time and so on? Is the Interchange server
running? Have you in your catalog directory a directory like "tmp" and
"session"? If there is no directory "session" or "tmp", you will get the
"internal server error" too. But I'm wondering, because the error.log
will say to you, that there is no directory "session" for example. Maybe
the user and group name of your Interchange, catalogs and cgi directory
is not the same? In some case, if the permissions oft the directory
"etc" in your interchange directory is wrong (look at the user and group
name too), you will get the same "internal server error" too.

Joachim

--
-------------Hans-Joachim Leidinger---------------------
Error using links [ In reply to ]
--=====================_5722869==_.ALT

I'm a new interchange user. I have some problem to configure my interchange
website. I have the same problem than you. All links don't work.
http://www.secan.net/cgi-bin/construct/index.html
Can you tell me how did you solve the problem. I applied the solution
proposed but it doesn't work.

"

At 09:56 2001-01-02 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi...
>
>I tried this, but to no avail. In fact, just for testing, I chmod 777'ed it
>as well as +s. Still nothing. Anything else to try? Anyone?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Jason
>
>RE:
>
>-----
>
>Since the bad old days of MV3, whenever I have encountered this, it has
>been an issue of the cgi-bin link file permissions. Telnet into your
>server and check the perm's on the link file for your catalog. If they look
>like this:
>
>-rwxr-xr-x
>
>try this command at the prompt:
>
>chmod u+s filename
>
>...substitute the name of your link file for filename. Conversely, if the
>permissions look like this:
>
>-rwsr-xr-x
>
>try this command at the prompt:
>
>chmod u-s filename
>
>Most of the time this will solve the problem.
>
>- Ed L.
>
>-----

--=====================_5722869==_.ALT

Hi,<br>
I'm a new interchange user. I have some problem to configure my
interchange website. I have the same problem than you. All links don't
work.
Can you tell me how&nbsp; did you solve the problem. I applied the
solution proposed but it doesn't work.<br>
have encountered this, it has been an issue of the cgi-bin link file
permissions. Telnet into your server and check the perm's on the link
file for your catalog. If they look like this:<br>
-rwxr-xr-x<br>
try this command at the prompt:<br>
chmod u+s filename<br>
...substitute the name of your link file for filename. Conversely, if the
permissions look like this:<br>
-rwsr-xr-x<br>
try this command at the prompt:<br>
chmod u-s filename<br>
Most of the time this will solve the problem.<br>
- Ed L.<br>
&quot;<br>
I tried this, but to no avail.&nbsp; In fact, just for testing, I chmod
777'ed it<br>
as well as +s.&nbsp; Still nothing. Anything else to try?&nbsp;
Anyone?<br>
Thanks.<br>
Jason<br>
RE:<br>
-----<br>
Since the bad old days of MV3, whenever I have encountered this, it
has<br>
been an issue of the cgi-bin link file permissions.&nbsp; Telnet into
your<br>
server and check the perm's on the link file for your catalog. If they
look<br>
like this:<br>
-rwxr-xr-x<br>
try this command at the prompt:<br>
chmod u+s filename<br>
...substitute the name of your link file for filename.&nbsp; Conversely,
if the<br>

--=====================_5722869==_.ALT--
Error using links [ In reply to ]

------=_NextPart_000_025C_01C074F2.80653D40

Hello,

if I go with -rwxr-xr-x (for the 'construct' file in the cgi-bin) I get =
the following:
We're sorry, the Interchange server is unavailable...
...this means the file in cgi-bin is working with -rwxr-xr-x. You need =
to=20
start the server now. From the home directory for the username which =
owns=20
Interchange:

interchange/bin/interchange -start -u

(the -u is for unix mode, you can omit it if you plan to run in inet =
mode).

I did this logged in as the user that created 'interchange' and the =
Interchange server started. I was able to browse the catalog and add =
items too my cart, however, when I hit checkout I get a 500 Error. I'll =
be working on this tomorrow.

I can not say enough how helpful Ed LaFrance was in helping get me to =
this point. (He supplied all of the above information I sure did not =
figure it out on my own)
Thank-you Ed!!

Best regards, Chris
----- Original Message -----=20
[...]

<DIV>if I go with -rwxr-xr-x (for the 'construct' file in the cgi-bin) I =
get the=20
following:</DIV>
<DIV>
<H3>We're sorry, the Interchange server is =
unavailable...</H3></DIV></DIV>
<DIV>...this means the file in cgi-bin is working with -rwxr-xr-x.&nbsp; =
You=20
need to <BR>start the server now.&nbsp; From the home directory for the =
username=20
which owns <BR>Interchange:<BR><BR>interchange/bin/interchange -start=20
-u<BR><BR>(the -u is for unix mode, you can omit it if you plan to run =
in inet=20
mode).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I did this logged in as the user that created 'interchange' and the =

Interchange server started. I was able to browse the catalog and add =
items too=20
my cart, however, when I hit checkout I get a 500 Error. I'll be working =
on this=20
tomorrow.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I can not say enough how helpful Ed LaFrance was in helping get me =
to this=20
point. (He supplied all of the above information I sure did not figure =
it out on=20
my own)</DIV>
<DIV>Thank-you Ed!!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Best regards, Chris</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
<DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
<A title=3Dlamine@secan.net href=3D"mailto:lamine@secan.net">Lamine =
Ndiaye</A>=20
</DIV>
title=3Dinterchange-users@lists.akopia.com=20
=
href=3D"mailto:interchange-users@lists.akopia.com">interchange-users@list=
s.akopia.com</A>=20
</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, January 02, 2001 =
7:15=20
PM</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> RE: [ic] Error using =
links</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>Hi,<BR>I'm a new interchange user. I have some problem =
to=20
configure my interchange website. I have the same problem than you. =
All links=20
don't work. <A =
href=3D"http://www.secan.net/cgi-bin/construct/index.html"=20
=
eudora=3D"autourl">http://www.secan.net/cgi-bin/construct/index.html</A><=
BR>Can=20
you tell me how&nbsp; did you solve the problem. I applied the =
solution=20
proposed but it doesn't work.<BR><BR><FONT color=3D#0000ff>"Since the =
bad old=20
days of MV3, whenever I have encountered this, it has been an issue of =
the=20
cgi-bin link file permissions. Telnet into your server and check the =
perm's on=20
the link file for your catalog. If they look like =
this:<BR>-rwxr-xr-x<BR>try=20
this command at the prompt:<BR>chmod u+s filename<BR>...substitute the =
name of=20
your link file for filename. Conversely, if the permissions look like=20
this:<BR>-rwsr-xr-x<BR>try this command at the prompt:<BR>chmod u-s=20
filename<BR>Most of the time this will solve the problem.<BR>- Ed=20
L.<BR><BR>"<BR><BR></FONT>At 09:56 2001-01-02 -0800, you wrote:<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=3Dcite cite type=3D"cite">Hi...<BR><BR>I tried this, =
but to no=20
avail.&nbsp; In fact, just for testing, I chmod 777'ed it<BR>as well =
as=20
+s.&nbsp; Still nothing. Anything else to try?&nbsp;=20
=
Anyone?<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR><BR>Jason<BR><BR>RE:<BR><BR>-----<BR><BR>Since =
the=20
bad old days of MV3, whenever I have encountered this, it =
has<BR>been an=20
issue of the cgi-bin link file permissions.&nbsp; Telnet into =
your<BR>server=20
and check the perm's on the link file for your catalog. If they =
look<BR>like=20
this:<BR><BR>-rwxr-xr-x<BR><BR>try this command at the =
prompt:<BR><BR>chmod=20
u+s filename<BR><BR>...substitute the name of your link file for=20
filename.&nbsp; Conversely, if the<BR>permissions look like=20
this:<BR><BR>-rwsr-xr-x<BR><BR>try this command at the =
prompt:<BR><BR>chmod=20
u-s filename<BR><BR>Most of the time this will solve the =
problem.<BR><BR>-=20
Ed=20
=
L.<BR><BR>-----<BR><BR><BR>______________________________________________=
_<BR>Interchange-users=20
mailing list<BR>Interchange-users@lists.akopia.com<BR><A=20
=
eudora=3D"autourl">http://lists.akopia.com/mailman/listinfo/interchange-u=
sers</A></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_025C_01C074F2.80653D40--
Error using links [ In reply to ]
--=====================_2290373==_.ALT

Hello,
My interchange server is started "The Interchange server is already running
(process id 6390)" but i don't have any files and directories in my cgi-bin
derectory but i did creat them when i run makecat.
Only construct derectory that i have is in my www.

Thank you again
Lamine

At 19:30 2001-01-02 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>if I go with -rwxr-xr-x (for the 'construct' file in the cgi-bin) I get
>the following:
>

>We're sorry, the Interchange server is unavailable...
>

>...this means the file in cgi-bin is working with -rwxr-xr-x. You need to
>start the server now. From the home directory for the username which owns
>Interchange:
>interchange/bin/interchange -start -u
>
>(the -u is for unix mode, you can omit it if you plan to run in inet mode).
>
>I did this logged in as the user that created 'interchange' and the
>Interchange server started. I was able to browse the catalog and add items
>too my cart, however, when I hit checkout I get a 500 Error. I'll be
>working on this tomorrow.
>
>I can not say enough how helpful Ed LaFrance was in helping get me to this
>point. (He supplied all of the above information I sure did not figure it
>out on my own)
>Thank-you Ed!!
>
>Best regards, Chris

--=====================_2290373==_.ALT

Hello,<br>
My interchange server is started <font color="#0000FF">&quot;The
Interchange server is already running (process id 6390)&quot; </font>but
i don't have any files and directories in my cgi-bin derectory but i did
creat them when i run makecat.<br>
Only <font color="#0000FF">construct</font> derectory that i have is in
my www.<br>
Thank you again<br>
Lamine<br>
At 19:30 2001-01-02 -0600, you wrote:<br>
&nbsp;<br>
if I go with -rwxr-xr-x (for the 'construct' file in the cgi-bin) I get
the following:<br>
<h3><b>We're sorry, the Interchange server is
unavailable...</b></h3><br>
...this means the file in cgi-bin is working with -rwxr-xr-x.&nbsp; You
need to <br>
start the server now.&nbsp; From the home directory for the username
which owns <br>
Interchange:<br>
interchange/bin/interchange -start -u<br>
(the -u is for unix mode, you can omit it if you plan to run in inet
mode).<br>
&nbsp;<br>
I did this logged in as the user that created 'interchange' and the
Interchange server started. I was able to browse the catalog and add
items too my cart, however, when I hit checkout I get a 500 Error. I'll
be working on this tomorrow.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
I can not say enough how helpful Ed LaFrance was in helping get me to
this point. (He supplied all of the above information I sure did not
figure it out on my own)<br>
Thank-you Ed!!<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Best regards, Chris
<dl>
<dd>----- Original Message -----
<dd>From:</b> <a href="mailto:lamine@secan.net">Lamine Ndiaye</a>
<dd>To:</b>
<dd>Sent:</b> Tuesday, January 02, 2001 7:15 PM

<dd>Hi,
<dd>I'm a new interchange user. I have some problem to configure my interchange website. I have the same problem than you. All links don't work. <a href="http://www.secan.net/cgi-bin/construct/index.html" eudora="autourl">http://www.secan.net/cgi-bin/construct/index.html</a>
<dd>Can you tell me how&nbsp; did you solve the problem. I applied the solution proposed but it doesn't work.<br>
<dd>&quot;Since the bad old days of MV3, whenever I have encountered this, it has been an issue of the cgi-bin link file permissions. Telnet into your server and check the perm's on the link file for your catalog. If they look like this:
<dd>-rwxr-xr-x
<dd>try this command at the prompt:
<dd>chmod u+s filename
<dd>...substitute the name of your link file for filename. Conversely, if the permissions look like this:
<dd>-rwsr-xr-x
<dd>try this command at the prompt:
<dd>chmod u-s filename
<dd>Most of the time this will solve the problem.
<dd>- Ed L.<br>

<dd>&quot;<br>
<dd>At 09:56 2001-01-02 -0800, you wrote:<blockquote type=cite class=cite cite>
<dd>Hi...<br>

<dd>I tried this, but to no avail.&nbsp; In fact, just for testing, I chmod 777'ed it
<dd>as well as +s.&nbsp; Still nothing. Anything else to try?&nbsp; Anyone?<br>

<dd>Thanks.<br>

<dd>Jason<br>

<dd>RE:<br>

<dd>-----<br>

<dd>Since the bad old days of MV3, whenever I have encountered this, it has
<dd>been an issue of the cgi-bin link file permissions.&nbsp; Telnet into your
<dd>server and check the perm's on the link file for your catalog. If they look
<dd>like this:<br>

<dd>-rwxr-xr-x<br>

<dd>try this command at the prompt:<br>

<dd>chmod u+s filename<br>

<dd>...substitute the name of your link file for filename.&nbsp; Conversely, if the
<dd>permissions look like this:<br>

<dd>-rwsr-xr-x<br>

<dd>try this command at the prompt:<br>

<dd>chmod u-s filename<br>

<dd>Most of the time this will solve the problem.<br>

<dd>- Ed L.<br>

<dd>-----<br>

<dd>_______________________________________________
<dd>Interchange-users mailing list
<dd>Interchange-users@lists.akopia.com

--=====================_2290373==_.ALT--
Error using links [ In reply to ]

------=_NextPart_000_03B1_01C074F2.076A2B80

Using Redhat 6.2 I have had these exact same errors for months . I have =
tried changing the permissions as stated but have had absolutely no =
luck. The admin interface etc , nothing works except the main page and =
most of the images do not come up either.
=20
Just my 2=A2 I would suggest using ssh instead of telnet .

Jeff
----- Original Message -----=20
[...]

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Using Redhat 6.2 I have had these exact =
same errors=20
for months . I have tried changing the permissions as stated but have =
had=20
absolutely no luck. The admin interface etc , nothing works except the =
main page=20
and most of the images do </FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>not come up =

either.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Just my 2=A2 I would suggest using ssh =
instead of=20
telnet .</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jeff</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
<DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
<A title=3Dlamine@secan.net href=3D"mailto:lamine@secan.net">Lamine =
Ndiaye</A>=20
</DIV>
title=3Dinterchange-users@lists.akopia.com=20
=
href=3D"mailto:interchange-users@lists.akopia.com">interchange-users@list=
s.akopia.com</A>=20
</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, January 02, 2001 =
5:15=20
PM</DIV>